Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks to all. Uwe and Doc - I hate to disappoint, but I cheated - it is fake as I used both a knife and a mini chisel to make the joint. It is "almost" cut all the way through about halfway through the stock. After applying another coat of India Ink, the joint somewhat closed back up. So, in the process of cutting again (probably a little deeper), it does have the appearance that it is two separate pieces.
I also did not use any glue on the wales but rather used nails and cut the heads off. I used a nail-setter to get the cut-off nails as close as I could without damaging the wood with the nail setter.
The wales are wider and needed to follow the curvature of the frames. Nails were going to do this and also the wood I am using (leftover) is much softer so it would flex more up against the frames.

Very nice work Donnie, your work inspires me to start my Blandford project again,
It will probably take some time since I am doing a mega cleanup around my construction sites.
For a long time there has been a lot of clutter and little overview, greetings-

Hi Dave,
I used (if I remember) a .81mm brass wire and just bent it to shape. I just glued it in place after that. BTW - thank you for the encouragement and likes - I most often go to your BL to see how you did things, (but not to copy). I am going to use a little thinner stanction post on my railings. Its all part of making the project more personal I guess. I had thought about 'turning' my stanctions with a more decorative look, but I just don't feel like investing much more time into it.
I also found out the hard way that softer wood swells when painted with India ink - and I guess more any other type of water-based product. I guess this project for me has been more of 'to see if I can do it' - I am not sure how much I accomplished it as there are a ton of mistakes and problems.
I think some of it is still working full time and then not putting all my best effort into it. I could have probably taken my time with it more, but only have limited time to work on it, I wanted this project to have a time limit to it. With that mindset, it is easy to rush things and not do a good job. I made a lot of shortcuts on some things, but somethings like the Chain Pump Handles, I got carried away making them functional.

Back