Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Old school way of bending wood with hot water. (yes, I also have a heated plank bender). The beam is actually overly bent so when it is removed from the push pins, and relaxes, it will relax into its final desired shape. Of course the notches are cut out first - you do not want to cut the notches with the curve hindering. I guess it is possible, but this is the way I decided on.

wood-bending.jpg

Oh, I meant to mention that I had glued the hanging knee to the wrong side of the beam -- LOL. I had to use the trick mike41 told me about putting water on the joints. Then I cracked one lower hanging knee trying to get it loose - then I had to make another one. (this is the backend story)

Thanks guys. The wood I am using, I was not able to cut the camber like I wanted.
the figment came about pretty good as I used heavy card stock from mikes plans to make templates. I used card stock and exacto knife to fashion a template as close as I could to match Mikes plan and match the joint. Then of course filing. I hope my progress continues well. I have studied so many Blandfords builds before this one. I give you all the credit for laying the groundwork.

Thank you Doc et al. Especially coming from you Doc, that is a great compliment to me - thank you.

The latest
BTW- those 6 sets of beams are just barely WIDER by 1/64 of what they should be - but since I already had the table saw set up, I just went with it. They are still narrower, but not quite like I wanted, but I can live with it - moving forward.

LDF-07.jpg

LDF-08.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Doc et al. Especially coming from you Doc, that is a great compliment to me - thank you.

The latest
BTW- those 6 sets of beams are just barely WIDER by 1/64 of what they should be - but since I already had the table saw set up, I just went with it. They are still narrower, but not quite like I wanted, but I can live with it - moving forward.

Very clean job!

Back