Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good job on the framing. This type of construction is more work and takes longer than a POB build, but I think it is worth the effort.

Dear Donie
it's looks so beautiful and Accurate and faithful to the ship originally
happy birthday Birthday-Cake

Finally, I have all the upper deck framing done and I can now move on to deck planking 1/2 the deck. The black strips are water-color type paper stock that I used a sharpie to make black. It serves well for caulking.
The black strips are .48mm thick. At this scale in real life, it might be just a little over .5 inches width of caulking. I am not going to split hairs - it is good enough.

upper-deck-framing-09.jpg

Thank you all. I was able to make a lot of progress and I apologize for not giving more details on my build. But just in hurry to finish.

One big mistake. I decided to plank the deck starting in the center rather than at the waterways - which threw things off a bit. But the Cannon Carriages should hide the defects - the caulking is a little too thick on the waterways side. Arggg !!

Oh well.

Donnie
upper-deck-framing-10.jpgupper-deck-framing-11.jpg

Thank you all for the likes and comments. The latest. I have the Gun Ports trimmed out. The caulking at the waterways is really ugly, but I do not feel like trying to pull all that out. It should be covered up by the Cannon Carriages when I get to that point.
It is time now to Plank the Hull.

upper-deck-framing-12.jpgupper-deck-framing-13.jpg

Donnie just remember this is a training build for most of us so minor errors are acceptable!

Helps us learn what to do better on the next build!

Just glad to see you have time to work on your projects again!

Continue with hull planking - trimmed the top for the waist rail and plank sheer later. I removed the Elm Tree pump handles and will reinstall them later - they are just in the way for now.

hull-planking-02.jpg

Starting the Wales. I am trying some India Ink to blacken the wales. I am using Basswood which is NOT a good thing. I should be using boxwood, but I have run out and at this time I have to just use what I have. The boxwood would probably produce a more realistic ebony color, so, perhaps if I go back and sand the finished Wales with 1000 grit sandpaper, maybe I can achieve what I am trying to do.
Maybe the treenailing will offer more pleasing finish touches.

hull-planking-03.jpghull-planking-04.jpghull-planking-05.jpg

Looking very good - especially with the contrast of the brass nails.
One question related to the Hook and Butt joint - is it a "fake"-joint, so only on the surface? It is looking very good and very accurate! Very good, so maybe you explain shortly how you did it.......

Back