Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ah HA !! I knew something was missing !!! LOL - yep, that needs to be added too.

Seriously, I am suffering from rotator cuff inflammation and it wakes me up in the night hurting pretty bad. Went to the doctor today and they gave me a shot of Toradol and some steroids to take over the next few days. I have been dealing with this for about a month and it is only getting worse. So, working on the ship is going to have to take a break for a few days.

Here, I am laying out the Dead Eyes. I am using 5/8 inch square stock from Hobby Lobby as I do not have any round stock. Besides, I am using the square to make the planksheer and waist rails. So, why not just use the lathe to turn out the square into a round.

Some pics to try and demonstrate the sequence. I did not measure anything, just eye-balled it.

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

Great outcome, Donnie! Deadeyes looks great. Will you darken them or leave as is? More...and more...I am towards the lathe\mill are both essential tools if you do scratch builds. :)

Thanks, guys. I made them as I did not know if this size could be bought, and I did not want to wait for an order to come in even if I were to find these online. So, yes, I encourage anyone to invest in a Lathe and Mill as you do not know what you will run into that you need to make real quick. These took about 2 hours to make.
I will probably paint them black.

Outstanding work, Donnie! She's a real beauty. You should be very proud. The boarding steps turned out particularly well! Love the deadeyes, too!
Are you planning to dye the deadeyes black? Some contemporary models had black deadeyes, despite the cover picture on the AOTS book. I thiink they add a nice contrast, too!

Here, I am laying out the Dead Eyes. I am using 5/8 inch square stock from Hobby Lobby as I do not have any round stock. Besides, I am using the square to make the planksheer and waist rails. So, why not just use the lathe to turn out the square into a round.

Some pics to try and demonstrate the sequence. I did not measure anything, just eye-balled it.

They look great, like a bunch of smiley face emoji's!

The latest.
Completed the other side of treenailing the Hull Planking.
Completed treenailing the Deck Planking and put a light coat of natural stain (not sure why the variation of coloring of wood - but it is what it is)
Completed the other side of Planksheer Railing and Waist Rail. I used brass nails to secure the Rails as I did not want the stantions to come off. The brass was only thing I had laying around that would go all the way through the railings and through the stanctions. Again, I am probably ruiing this cross-section with a bunch of nonsense things.

hull-planking-15.jpg

hull-planking-16.jpg

hull-planking-17.jpg

hull-planking-18.jpg

hull-planking-19.jpg

hull-planking-20.jpg

The photos are horrible and pasty looking. This does not look like the model at all - something went bad ---I had way too low of lighting in my shop at the time. I should know better and I do, but - I do not have my shot box anymore and time and variables did not allow me to do any better. Sorry.
I know this is a hobby, but sorry folks, I am ready to get this thing off my bench.

Last edited:
Well, thanks, Guys. I really do appreciate the feedback. You all are too kind. Here's the latest as I am starting to focus on the details and wrapping this up. Dead Eyes, Elm Tree Pump Handles, Channels, and then Guns are last. Hopefully, these are better pics.
It is obvious by now that I was able to fix the "Social Groups" problem -
when I upgraded the Forums software, it really messed things up on the forum as a whole. Several things also were screwed up that were only via admin access. It took me a little more than 12 hours of hacking reloading all the programs and other headaches to get the Social Groups back online again. I actually had to create another SOS forum mirror site to test all the problems on. So, I was like sweating and tears. . . It's just one of those things that caught everyone off guard. Even the developers of the Add-on software features were scrambling and it wasn't just me. There were many that had issues (some much worse than ours). So, I think we are back in business. I am not a programmer, but somehow by the grace of God, I was able to pull all the forum problems back inline again. I consider it a miracle myself.

final-01.jpg

final-02.jpg

final-03.jpg

final-04.jpg

final-05.jpg

final-06.jpg

final-07.jpg

final-08.jpg

Finished up one side Dead Eyes, Channels, and Chain Plates. The pics are not that good. (pasty looking) I am not sure what is wrong with my camera. The one I am using now used to take much better photos. Must be a room lighting problem.

channel-03.jpgchannel-04.jpg

Thank you Dave, coming from you, that means a lot.
I greatly appreciate being able to track your build and associated comments; going out and returning to you as valuable lessons in scratch building as well as tools involved. Excellent work to me to study. PT-2

Back