Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very accurate work - and good to see, that also the bigger scale of 1:36 is helping here..... Very Good work Thumbsup

Thank you all for the compliments they are all taken well with humility. The latest: I was really apprehensive about making the strange curved beams (I think they are called Beam Arms). At any rate, I go so focused on that, that I forgot to notch out the two centermost beams. I will have to get into those with a short razor saw.
the pieces are not glued and compressed in for a tight fit. They are just sitting there for now.
None of the LDF are glued to the frames as they can be slid out if need be.

NOTE: HANGING KNEES ARE GLUED TO WRONG SIDE OF BEAM. I AM CORRECTING THIS (SORRY FOR THE CAPS)
see the blue square outlines. I will post another picture showing correct locations.

LDF-12.jpg

LDF-12-corrected.jpg

Last edited:
Ha. Most definitely talking about the moon. I am having to learn a NEW SKILL. Building ship while wife is at home.

I had to move my work PC from office to home, my rent house is too small for office, I build ships on kitchen table.

I have an old RV I travel around in to train shows, and parked it in driveway. the city says we can't park long term in street in front of house....

So I walk out to my "Office" every morning and have PC set up on table in RV. Nice thing is I can take a short lunch nap without leaving the office....

Hi Donnie, your workmanship is great, but you have a small problem, the hanging knees LDHK-1 AND LDHK-4 are on the wrong side of LDB-2. They need to be relocated so the lodging knees LDK-2 and LDK-5 can be installed. If you get the joints wet and let them set for about 15 to 20 minutes, they will be easy to remove, you will need to reverse the locations so the bevels are not next to the beam.

LOL mike I saw that and already corrected it. I was wondering who would notice. Good eyes my friend. Yep a little water repeated w a Q tip and waiting pops right off.

Donnie and Mike, what am I missing out on, is it possible to put some red arrows in a picture that could explain this, chances are I've done this too, thanks

Mike - yep - not yet. They will be - I am fully aware of that. I decided to do those while glued in. I have a short thin saw that can cut those. I thought it would be hard, but it is not. Actually, it is easier as I can lay down my small right triangle to make sure things are squared up.

I made a temple for the side knee (can't remember name guys - sorry), but it is made with some heavy mill paper to make a template to make sure the fitment is correct. You can see now how I made the mistake in gluing the hanging knee to the wrong side of the beam.

LDF-13.jpg

A few more beams. I decided to cut some notches out with the beams installed. I was able to use a make sure things are square this way. Some of the images look like parts are not square. The wetness is removing some glue with a little water. Better straight on pictures later.

LDF-14.jpg

LDF-15.jpgtriangle to

Thanks for all the likes. Here is the latest. I am almost finished with the Lower Deck Framing. I will be adding the Pillars and setting the Shotlocker in place - for now - it is just sitting in there.
According to plans, it seems the Shotlocker has the correct clearance from the top of the locker to underneath the beam. It is all within reason. The Ledges are slightly wider about 1/64 or .25mm but once I had some installed, I had to go with it for consistency. This is just a learning curve experience is all.
All the joints around the Beam Arms were hand sawn cut. This is just a method that I used in this situation as I wanted to make sure my Ledges would be square with the framing. You probably notice that I have two more Ledges to cut on the right side of the Lodging Knee (still getting used to the terms).

LDF-16.jpg

LDF-17.jpg

LDF-18.jpg

LDF-19.jpg

LDF-20.jpg

Last edited:
Back