Down the rabbit hole

I just purchased a 3D printer and I have a nagging feeling that I'm standing on the edge of the rabbit hole. I would like to hear from other users on this forum who have printers to share ideas and resources.
Thanks

I have a 3D Resin unit, played with it for a while, not used for ship work at this point, I also model HO Model Railroad.

Take time to download some sample files and test print to learn your printers best settings which I have learned change with brands and types of resin.

I have one. Printed a few parts for my ship because the parts I received from the supplier were broken. I have a few other parts that I will probably print for my Constitution.
I focused first on how to communicate with the device via my computer. Now I am working on calibration. I have printed a few parts for my boat because the parts that I got were broken. and I plan on doing some more. You will also need to learn how to use the design software. I use Freecad. I am very much a novice at both the printer and the software, and I am enjoying the task of learning how to use it.

I should mention, and maybe yours is different, but I cannot communicate directly with the printer without the use of a printer server called Octopi. WIth this I can launch printing directly from my computer instead of having to load the gcode file directly into the printer.

You can try a free design program such as Freecad. You can then make your own parts and projects. you will need a slicer program such as Lychee to convert the designs and tweek them to the scale you want and to make multiple copies. I use Freecad(free) and Lychee (about 100.00 us per year) and now make my own cannon, swivel guns, blocks cleats hooks, ect .All the small stuff that can cost a fortune when you need to buy multiple pieces. There are tons of vids on you tube that make learning Freecad very easy. Give it a try, you wont regret it.

I have a 3D Resin unit, played with it for a while, not used for ship work at this point, I also model HO Model Railroad.

Take time to download some sample files and test print to learn your printers best settings which I have learned change with brands and types of resin.
I thought about a Resin unit but I didn't want to deal the the mess and smells. I will try my filament one first and see what happens.

You can try a free design program such as Freecad. You can then make your own parts and projects. you will need a slicer program such as Lychee to convert the designs and tweek them to the scale you want and to make multiple copies. I use Freecad(free) and Lychee (about 100.00 us per year) and now make my own cannon, swivel guns, blocks cleats hooks, ect .All the small stuff that can cost a fortune when you need to buy multiple pieces. There are tons of vids on you tube that make learning Freecad very easy. Give it a try, you wont regret it.
I'm far from designing my own parts. I'll consider myself lucky if I can manage to print anything . ;)

Bob, a resin printer will give you the best results for small parts and details as far as mess you can get water washable resin that cleans up with minimal fuss and it has almost no smell. I use the Any Cubic brand and get consistantly good results even when printing complex items like gratings or capstans.

there is a topic on 3D printing

go here

there is a topic on 3D printing

go here

Sorry I put my post in the " wrong " place

Bob, a resin printer will give you the best results for small parts and details as far as mess you can get water washable resin that cleans up with minimal fuss and it has almost no smell. I use the Any Cubic brand and get consistantly good results even when printing complex items like gratings or capstans.
Thanks, I'm a complete novice at 3D, It was kind of an impulse buy late at night. We will give it a try and hope for the best.

A little off topic, but why not start a separate forum in S.O.S. for 3D printing enthusiasts where we can share ideas, suggestions and even share files for various parts. Who would I suggest this to? Like some stated earlier things are changing rapidly in the model ship hobby with cnc , laser cutting ect.. Why not 3D printing?

A little off topic, but why not start a separate forum in S.O.S. for 3D printing enthusiasts where we can share ideas, suggestions and even share files for various parts. Who would I suggest this to? Like some stated earlier things are changing rapidly in the model ship hobby with cnc , laser cutting ect.. Why not 3D printing?
I am not really interested in 3D printing far too messy and not computer literate enough but it might be an interesting side forum

we have a place dedicated to CAD, 3D printing, and software related.

I have one. Printed a few parts for my ship because the parts I received from the supplier were broken. I have a few other parts that I will probably print for my Constitution.
I focused first on how to communicate with the device via my computer. Now I am working on calibration. I have printed a few parts for my boat because the parts that I got were broken. and I plan on doing some more. You will also need to learn how to use the design software. I use Freecad. I am very much a novice at both the printer and the software, and I am enjoying the task of learning how to use it.

I should mention, and maybe yours is different, but I cannot communicate directly with the printer without the use of a printer server called Octopi. WIth this I can launch printing directly from my computer instead of having to load the gcode file directly into the printer.
Did you scan your original damaged parts or did you find a source for the necessary .stl files ?

Did you scan your original damaged parts or did you find a source for the necessary .stl files ?
i built them manually using Freecad, although I could have tried using a scanner. I have one but haven't taken out of the box yet

I am currently working on a scratch build of USS Constitution. I started using 3d resin printing for quite a few parts. I draw them up using the free personal version of Fusion 360. If you have access to scaled drawings (or if you know how big the parts should be) you can use the canvas function as a starting point and the parts are usually pretty easy to draw. For printing I use an Elegoo Mars 4 Ultra. It comes with a free license for Voxeldance Tango for slicing. So far I am very happy with the results. I have already printed cannon, Galley window frames, Capstan, trailboards, Stern embellishments, rigging sheaves, anchors and a few other things. Beware that the printer is the tip of the iceberg when you are starting 3d printing. You need lots of consumables (alcohol, resin, clean wipes, containers for rinsing, etc). I also bought a vat heater, curing station and an ultrasonic cleaner. Worst of all you need a dedicated work area, resin is insidious. The area must be relatively free from direct sunlight and well ventilated. I still believe it is cost effective as compared to buying the parts. Good Luck

I am currently working on a scratch build of USS Constitution. I started using 3d resin printing for quite a few parts. I draw them up using the free personal version of Fusion 360. If you have access to scaled drawings (or if you know how big the parts should be) you can use the canvas function as a starting point and the parts are usually pretty easy to draw. For printing I use an Elegoo Mars 4 Ultra. It comes with a free license for Voxeldance Tango for slicing. So far I am very happy with the results. I have already printed cannon, Galley window frames, Capstan, trailboards, Stern embellishments, rigging sheaves, anchors and a few other things. Beware that the printer is the tip of the iceberg when you are starting 3d printing. You need lots of consumables (alcohol, resin, clean wipes, containers for rinsing, etc). I also bought a vat heater, curing station and an ultrasonic cleaner. Worst of all you need a dedicated work area, resin is insidious. The area must be relatively free from direct sunlight and well ventilated. I still believe it is cost effective as compared to buying the parts. Good Luck
Yeah, I thought about resin but all the fuss and muss scared me away. I'll try filament. It's more of a lark for me than anything serious.

Back