Dr. Y Bluenose [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you all for your constructive helpful suggestions. I do have a saw that fits the dremel and will proceed with caution.
Back soon.
Best wishes to all. Phil

Very nice work Phil and your deck is bound to look great when completed. You have made excellent progress!

The hull sanded and filled. More sanding to do before painting. For painting, does anyone have any tips for painting the thin white border along the water line? I'm thinking I don't have quite the talent for that.

View attachment 287242
There are various ways leading to Rome.
One option would be to first paint a wider than necessary white band, followed by taping off for both black and red. Another option is to paint the black and red areas above and below the waterline and applying a thin white tape as your waterline, I think these tapes are available for car trims.

Wow Phil. You have been busy and made excellent progress. I agree with you on the waterline - a challenge for me as well. I think pinstriping the waterline with tape is an excellent idea!

Hi Phil. What a progress you show!
The hull looks very nice.
Pinstriping car-tape is a good option. It’s tin and in a variety of width.
When you want to paint, a little ad-on of Johan’s paint option:
After the wider band of white, tape off the above part of the white and further to below and paint the black above the waterline.
Then tape of the lower part of the white and the black and paint the red beneath the waterline.
Regards, Peter

The pinstripe looks like the best plan. They are readily available. Many thanks to all of you for your attention and encouragement.
I will be back. Best regards to all.
I actually used graphic tape, it is thinner and lays down better IMO. ;)
For reference, I used Chartpak graphic tape, matte finish in white. They have different thicknesses to chose from, I have 1/32" and 1/16" wide tape in different colors.

Hi Dean,
Thank you for the response. I found it is available in 1/32 inch which seems about right (a little less than one mm). It is available in white.
It is readily available on Amazon, which is quite easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Graphic-Inches-Black-BG3101M/dp/B01LZH5O9W?th=1
Just want to take the opportunity to say how much I admire your work and have been following your build log for every step.
So thank you, it has been very helpful. I am enjoying this build, and hoping to be my best modeling self, but have no aspirations or ability to achieve anything near your level. Most important I am learning many new things.
Best,
Phil

Hi Dean,
Thank you for the response. I found it is available in 1/32 inch which seems about right (a little less than one mm). It is available in white.
It is readily available on Amazon, which is quite easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Graphic-Inches-Black-BG3101M/dp/B01LZH5O9W?th=1
Just want to take the opportunity to say how much I admire your work and have been following your build log for every step.
So thank you, it has been very helpful. I am enjoying this build, and hoping to be my best modeling self, but have no aspirations or ability to achieve anything near your level. Most important I am learning many new things.
Best,
Phil
You are welcome, glad I can help.
And thank you for the compliment. If you always do your best, then you should be happy with the end result. I try not to compare my work, as there are many builders who are far better than me! But I still strive to one day be able to match or come close to their work.
I always challenge myself to do better each build. I try to identify any areas that need improvement and set a goal to do that better on the next model. For instance, my first build I brushed on clear on the rigging lines to get rid of fuzz…lol.
The next build I used bees wax on the lines, a definite improvement! And now I am going to either buy top quality line or make my own. ;)
So we all progress and learn as we go. Hang in there and you will be making top quality builds soon enough!

Strong solid advice. This is my fourth build and first POF. Hope to keep learning and improving.
Here is a photo of some brush work that I gleaned from seeing you use a fine brush, not perfect but a huge improvement from previous efforts. Thanks again.IMG_0833.jpeg

Here is a little update on my Bluenose. The work is intentionally slow. I enjoy and am able to devote a couple of hours here and there, but am not in a rush. I had a hard time with the Gudgeons and pintles. The original supplied parts did not have the holes drilled and I broke two of them trying to drill tiny holes. I found some on ebay that looked like they would work but they were not right. Finally I was able to make my own from some leftover scraps of brass, but had to solder them together for stability so the result is they do not pivot, but otherwise look OK (my first time soldering at my advanced age).
The hull is painted and clear coated. The chain stays installed and I have started building some of the deck parts. I am still waiting for graphic art tape to finish one fine line on the hull, which should happen in due time. My best regards to members who may take the time to see this.
PhilIMG_0855.jpegIMG_0854.jpegIMG_0853.jpegIMG_0852.jpeg

Hello Phil. I am very happy that you are not in a rush and are enjoying the build. That is, after all why we do this, to enjoy it. You have made wonderful progress and can be justifiably proud of what you have achieved up to now.

Hi Phil. Working on the rudder is indeed fiddeling with tiny pieces. But you your work on the hull is almost done. And ..... slow progress is not bad at all. :)
Regards, Peter

Nice to see your progress again Phil.
Beautiful the red color
What paint did you use and what color number?

Regards
Henk

Back