Drag on the Sussex

Hello everyone I'm looking for some help with the Sussex , I am confused about the drag on the ship , if you read the paragraph I pointed out , it says the frames are perpendicular to the keel (90) degrees, and if you look at the other picture it shows the angle, you will have to zoom in to see the difference from fore to aft , so my question is where am I coming up with the angle for the drag , any info would be greatly appreciated , thanks

20220507_145401.jpg

20220507_145923.jpg

I understand it in this way:
Usually the ships were built on such a slip shipyard

j2267.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the launching arrangements at Bucker's Hard, Beaulie, for Spencer (1800), a 74-gun, two-decker. The reverse has the measurements of the Spenser comparing the contract to the 'as built' dimensions

The mentioned 2° inclination is shown with the red line following the undersight of the keel

20220507_145923a.jpg

On the model design the frames are sitting rectangle on the keel which is making the life of the modeler easier

you will build the model like this sketch

20220507_145923aa.jpg

So the waterline will be at the bow lower than at the stern - later visible at the wales

I hope I am more or less correct

you will build the model like this sketch

View attachment 307790

So the waterline will be at the bow lower than at the stern - later visible at the wales

I hope I am more or less correct
I am still confused, but I think you got it right, the book says the frames are perpendicular to the keel so I am just going to use the Bruckshaw jig and hope for the best, I thank you for your time, I appreciate it..

20220509_180407.jpg

Uwek got it right
you level the keel and set your frames 90 degrees to the keel, perpendicular to the keel.

when you mount the hull for display you can either mount it as the hull sits in the water and the frames will have a slight slant to the stern. OR mount the hull with a level keel.

these are tricky models to build when there is a drag to the keel. In researching i learned when the hulls were complete, they were launched and all the deck structures cabin floors and walls etc were all built perpendicular to the waterline.

Uwek got it right
you level the keel and set your frames 90 degrees to the keel, perpendicular to the keel.

when you mount the hull for display you can either mount it as the hull sits in the water and the frames will have a slight slant to the stern. OR mount the hull with a level keel.

these are tricky models to build when there is a drag to the keel. In researching i learned when the hulls were complete, they were launched and all the deck structures cabin floors and walls etc were all built perpendicular to the waterline.
Thank you so much for that information, that really helps me out, It's been wearing on my mind for a while now, and I'm just about ready to start gluing them together, thanks again for your time, have a great day

i have pondered the question are frames perpendicular to the keel or waterline for a long time and dove deep into it.
frames were set perpendicular to the keel, there may be exceptions to the rule but lets say the "rule is frames are perpendicular to the keel."

in this drawing the hull has a noticeable drag

in the top drawing it is designed and drawn on a level keel with the waterline and cabin slanting. The station lines (frame locations) are at a 90 degree to a level keel.

in the lower drawing with a level waterline the cabin now has a level floor and walls but the station line has a slight lean backwards from the blue 90 degree line.

so with your model you should have a level building jig side to side and front to back. Then the frames are setup level sides to side and 90 degrees to the jig.

LEVEL KEEL0.jpg

i have pondered the question are frames perpendicular to the keel or waterline for a long time and dove deep into it.
frames were set perpendicular to the keel, there may be exceptions to the rule but lets say the "rule is frames are perpendicular to the keel."

in this drawing the hull has a noticeable drag

in the top drawing it is designed and drawn on a level keel with the waterline and cabin slanting. The station lines (frame locations) are at a 90 degree to a level keel.

in the lower drawing with a level waterline the cabin now has a level floor and walls but the station line has a slight lean backwards from the blue 90 degree line.

so with your model you should have a level building jig side to side and front to back. Then the frames are setup level sides to side and 90 degrees to the jig.

View attachment 308248
Very interesting stuff , I am definitely on the right track, you have reassured my thoughts, I thank you for your time, it's great to have your knowledge on this site ,thanks

Back