Dragon 1/35th Tiger 1 tank

Hi Guys,
I was given this kit as a present and I thought it would be a quick build because how many parts could there be for a tank! Turns out there can be quite a lot including photo etch, undaunted I dove in. One attraction for building this kit was it had photo etch and could be weathered also I could make some sort of display base these things I was interested to learn a bit about.
I don't have any step by step photos unfortunately though I have some photos at different stages.
The kit was a breeze to build and though it took longer than expected was quite enjoyable.

First photos show model in surface primer. All large areas are air brushed.DSC_0669.JPGDSC_0669.JPGDSC_0671.JPG

Next shows a shading coat.

DSC_0675S.JPGDSC_0677.JPG

Final color applied.

DSC_0678.JPG

Masking equipment and hand painting equipment.
DSC_0746S.JPG

I carried out some weathering, after watching numerous YouTube videos, I tried using some home made washes together with low cost pigment from a local art shop. Quite a bit of experimentation was done off the model in order to get a feel for what I was doing as the learning curve was quite steep.

DSC_1050.JPGDSC_1053.JPGDSC_1055.JPGDSC_1057.JPG

I didn't want to go overboard with the weathering.
Next I built a base, contouring was achieved using left over plastering products, I wanted track impressions in the base so when the plaster was still workable I wrapped the tank tracks loosely with some plastic sandwich wrap and pressed the tank into the plaster this gave me the effect I was looking for which is the tank going across a field whit the ground being fairly soft but not boggy. I mixed up a color of flock to what I thought was about right and applied it to a layer of white wood glue PVA, I also mixed up a color and painted where the tank tracks have broken through the grass.
Again a fair bit of time was spent experimenting with different materials and trying to develop some sort of technique.

DSC_1068.JPGDSC_1064.JPGDSC_1065.JPG

At the end I was fairly happy with overall result, for my first tank model.

Very nice model Steve.Yes these kits have come an awful long way in the last thirty years as has the paint products and techniques.There are great tutorials on Youtube on the paint aspect which can take considerably longer than the actual assembly depending on how far you go.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back