Draving plate homemade

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Took an iron plate and burnt of paint, polished glossy and and drilled test hole 0.7mm 0.8mm and 0.9mm.
draw plate (1).jpgdraw plate (2).jpgdraw plate (3).jpgdraw plate (4).jpgdraw plate (5).jpgdraw plate (6).jpg

It was much easier to draw with this sample then-
draw plate (7).jpg

I feel I wasted a lot of money on the drawtable from the model expo.
Greeting-

NMBROOK

Staff member

Your drawplate from model expo looks like one meant for wire Knut.Wire and wood drawplates work completely differently.Wire is passed through the wide side and reduces in diameter and stretches at the same time.No material is removed.On wood drawplates,the wood goes through the narrow side and material is sliced off.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Nigel, right, but pulling from the other side you can also use wood, but it works very badly.

NMBROOK

Staff member

Yes Knut,I have a Byrnes drawplate and the design is very different to the ones meant for wire.The ones for wire aren't designed with a cutting edge as such hence your poor results.

Regards

Nigel

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Thanks Nigel, I possibly bought the wrong type of pull plate in rage because I didn't get to buy from Byrnes because I got big trouble with the payment when I try to bought from them. very annoying and expensive choice, possibly I have not read well about the product before I bought.

janos

For a good while I used my self made drawplates. For this I just drilled holes into an iron plate. The protruding fin will provide the cutting edge so the dowel will have to be drawn into the hole in the same direction as the drill went into it while drilling the hole. Obviously the existence of the full set of drill series might be a problem as we have to provide hole series with decreasing diameters. And this fin-edge would not last long in the absence of a proper heat treatment. I still make draw plates occassionally for bigger diameters (my 'proper' drawplates biggest hole diameter is 2mm). For a rougher but quicker job we can use a battery operated drill, into the chuck of which the oversized dowel with a conical tip is tightened and then 'drilled' into the drawplate's hole.
Using self-made drill plates can only be a temporary solution. If we have to pruduce quantities of dowels in different diameters, the solution is to buy a proper drawplate which might not be cheap. Even budget-orientated purchases (ie. MicroMark or similar) might not be the right answer.
Janos

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Janos, what brand of draw plate do you use, I wonder if I should try again to buy one from Byrnes ?.

janos

Knut,
Mine is a fairly old one, the 'Dockyard' type. Byrnes plates are good, quite expensive though.
Regards Janos

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Thanks janos, I am trying again to order from Byrnes.

janos

Knut,
There is one more thing which you can try with the Model Expo plate. If you got a fine FLAT water or oil stone you can sharpen up the cutting edges of the holes with the stone by working on the side of the plate opposite to the side where the holes are filleted (provided that the holes have a square, sharp edge there at all). This might work if the material and the heat treatment of the plate is the proper stuff.
Janos

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Thanks for the tip Janos, good idea, I'll try this method before I buy new, I have different water or oil stones lying around.