Drilling holes in battletop

I am new to this so some basic issues I am sure,, I am building Amati Vanguard (first real build) and so far getting by okay. But I built the mast and now need to get holes drilled in the upper battletop for lines to go through. I tried and split a few already, had extra parts so was able to reconstruct the battletop, but now afraid of splitting these. Any thoughts on how to drill these holes? I have been using a fine twist bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 42
I am new to this so some basic issues I am sure,, I am building Amati Vanguard (first real build) and so far getting by okay. But I built the mast and now need to get holes drilled in the upper battletop for lines to go through. I tried and split a few already, had extra parts so was able to reconstruct the battletop, but now afraid of splitting these. Any thoughts on how to drill these holes? I have been using a fine twist bit.
Are you drillling with a power tool like Proxxon or Dremel?
Try a small hand drill like this one
r5KHNBvrIZxuPQ1d_8aad564d-f7dd-419c-8141-0bf99e372414_540x.jpg

and do not forget to make a small dott with a scriber to keep the drill in place
51cwZDAb3kL._SX679_.jpg

No preassure on the drill - the drill should make the work and cut the wood only by the turning and not the preassure.

It take some time, but you will have everything much more under control

If everything is not helping, you have to change the timber (use a hard type like pear) and make it out of scratch - you will paint it later on black, so you can use every timber whith better behaviour for such drilling

Attachments

• r5KHNBvrIZxuPQ1d_8aad564d-f7dd-419c-8141-0bf99e372414_540x.jpg
    r5KHNBvrIZxuPQ1d_8aad564d-f7dd-419c-8141-0bf99e372414_540x.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 3
Try clamping (lightly) the area you are drilling to hold the wood in place so it won't split.

Back