The other thing I enjoyed was teaching myself everything and the creativity of solving things on my own. No net only snail mail, you were pretty much on your own. I remember writing a fellow who lived near the Victory and he would go measure things for me. Sure my Victory may not be perfect but it is mine and not a copy of someone else's work. I don't mean to sound egotistic but that is just the way it was then. Speaking of blocks I made my own to scale down to the smallest block on board of cherrywood.

The other thing I enjoyed was teaching myself everything and the creativity of solving things on my own. No net only snail mail, you were pretty much on your own. I remember writing a fellow who lived near the Victory and he would go measure things for me. Sure my Victory may not be perfect but it is mine and not a copy of someone else's work. I don't mean to sound egotistic but that is just the way it was then. Speaking of blocks I made my own to scale down to the smallest block on board of cherrywood.
Teaching yourself is nothing to do with using someone else's advice. Often time, resolving things on 'your own' lead to fiasco unless you are Pro in everything ;) Personally, I have a number of occasions where I stuck with my own ideas for weeks and none were working on, but a simple suggestion from one of our forum member saves me another month... Absolutely nothing wrong borrow smart ideas, IMHO. Think about it, once upon a time, someone was already event something, and you just using it, unless you are a patent holder for it. :) I wish I would have a chance to have a resource such as our forum 40 years back, honestly! I would learn so much more... Lastly, would you rather do it correctly and borrow someone's idea or do it wrong but proudly said: "it is mine'? ;)

Like John, I once thought it was absolutely right. But it is not. One should learn to accept help, to ask for it. Not an easy path, but very helpful once you have learned it. I know that because otherwise I would not be able to build any more models but would be somewhere else, just not on earth. That has nothing to do with copying any ideas. That's what we have the PRC for ;)

Like John, I once thought it was absolutely right. But it is not. One should learn to accept help, to ask for it. Not an easy path, but very helpful once you have learned it. I know that because otherwise I would not be able to build any more models but would be somewhere else, just not on earth. That has nothing to do with copying any ideas. That's what we have the PRC for ;)
But there was no help 50 years ago It would be different today but that was then and this is now.

Teaching yourself is nothing to do with using someone else's advice. Often time, resolving things on 'your own' lead to fiasco unless you are Pro in everything ;) Personally, I have a number of occasions where I stuck with my own ideas for weeks and none were working on, but a simple suggestion from one of our forum member saves me another month... Absolutely nothing wrong borrow smart ideas, IMHO. Think about it, once upon a time, someone was already event something, and you just using it, unless you are a patent holder for it. :) I wish I would have a chance to have a resource such as our forum 40 years back, honestly! I would learn so much more... Lastly, would you rather do it correctly and borrow someone's idea or do it wrong but proudly said: "it is mine'? ;)
Correctly? that is why I got into making dioramas as there is no correctly. When I started to build my Victory I did it for the kids. The finished model has sat in my living room for over 20 years now and it gives me so much pleasure to watch their faces when they see it. not once did they say this is wrong or that isn't right. They just love the figures doing stuff on board. That is why I call model-making art, especially when doing dioramas. All of my dioramas are in museums and my Victory is going to one when the covid is over. I always build with the viewer in mind especially knowing that they are there to please the public. All artists copy other artists, in fact, it is encouraged especially in the beginning but sooner or later it will not be enough and your own creativity will begin to emerge. Maybe even in another art form. My good friend Shep Paine(the father of the modern diorama) started painting solitary figures and ended as a world-famous modeler and diorama maker.

Last edited:
John, hear me, bro! No one should doubt anyone's work, for sure. We all have different skills and abilities, however, what is really unites most of us - is the desire to learn more, strive to excel, and one of the ways is to ask for help whether it is your neighbor, book, or internet resource.

I am sure you didn't learn how to drive a car on your own, and by all means, driving 'correctly' is obeying all traffics rules. Someone has to teach you those rules... Perhaps, you may drive using your own rules? :p

Believe me, I had lots of great mentors especially when the internet began but like most artists, I enjoy breaking some of the rules sometimes. I am talking art here not driving cars. Maybe we should drop the subject for now as we are getting way off the thread's subject here. Could I suggest opening a section on Modeling Ship Dioramas? By the way, I have forgotten how large a pic should be to post here. The old memory isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:
Believe me, I had lots of great mentors especially when the internet began but like most artists, I enjoy breaking some of the rules sometimes. I am talking art here not driving cars. Maybe we should drop the subject for now as we are getting way off the thread's subject here. Could I suggest opening a section on Modeling Ship Dioramas? By the way, I have forgotten how large a pic should be to post here. The old memory isn't what it used to be.
John, I don't think we have to open a section for dioramas. We have a forum dedicated to dioramas. More than welcome to start a new thread, I will follow for sure.

It is making really a big difference, which kind and quality the basic wood has!!!
The pear and also the boxwood has so minimal grain, so tha machines can cut the wood so exact
-> These blocks are really one of the best I have ever seen

Thank you guys!!

I have question ,it is a kinda survey type ,what wood type you prefer for the blocks?

Boxwood or Pearwood ( this is darker pear than European version)
Hello Zoltan, I much prefer the pear wood, these blocks are sure of an excellent quality. Have been thinking that they would be very easy to convert to a working block for a working wheel and rudder.
Regards Lawrence

Back