Dumas PT Boat (PT105) 1:30 scale by MOG [COMPLETED BUILD]

Have decided to do most of the superstructure work following plans from pt103.com. The Dumas kit is very good, but I wanted more out of the build than just the basic follow the instruction book allowed. I will kit bash, scratch build and try to create as far as my skill level will take me. Reworked the basic shell of the pilothouse to lay the groundwork for putting more detail into it.. I did not like the way the center frame was working out, So it was time for the saw and hope plan. Being new to working with a kit that is mainly for RC , I cutout the center frame following the book, Its good to build the superstructure on it if your planning to remove it to get to the RC stuff, but not so great to build on for static. The small planked bit is the aft 20mm platform area. This section is even with the deck . where the next 2 sections floor base set slightly above the deck, cutting it and reworking was the only way to get it to fit the way I wanted. My thinking is I will be doing allot of hope this works fabricating down the road. ch7.JPGch8.JPGch9.JPG

The reworking of the pilot house is on going added some more detail, the parts of the control panel are very fragile so it will be worked on the side. allot more to do here so still not ready to assumable. Started on the day room cabin , cut & shaped the Aft turret area, early days. Solved the problem of the center frame that I needlessly removed, the test fit is looking ok, when it fits right will seal it down. primed the base of the 20mm Oerlikon, to test fit. gs1.JPGgs2.JPGgs4.JPGgs7.JPGgs9.JPG

Yes look real good and as a static build that allow you to really allow you to not be constraint with the RC limit Thumbsup

Starting to work on the grad rails 1/16 brass rod, eyebolts and thin plastic, very much trial & error here, rough cut triangle for the stations base, plastic should be easer to shape. cut and bend the eyebolts to hold the rails. anyway this is the plan, as with all plans it sure looks good on paper. put in the starboard 50 Cal ammo locker, Day cabin finished the framing and worked the windows , frames & rain guards. not really following a pattern, detailing as I go along one step at a time. gs1.JPGgs2.JPGgs3.JPGgs4.JPG

using the day cabin to trial my attempt at making the grad rails in this section they are pretty straight forward, several of the other rails have different end pieces which I have to figure out how to make, all in all I tchgr1.JPGchgr2.JPGhink its a good start, time and practice will tell.

As I said before you are thinking out of the box kit and it is very good
It is something I have trouble to do, to much follow the plan:rolleyes:

So after much thought about working metal , or lack of. I don't think I have the skills for photo etching, plus all the equipment involved is a stretch for a hobby builder. While I'm working on the list of tools I might need, I decided take a hard look around the shop, amazing gee I have a lot of Dremel stuff , so I made the attempt to cut and grind a few pieces. I might just opening myself up for some laughter here, but if you don't try do don't learn So my attempt at making the hold down brackets for the engine room cover, it took me a couple of days. However I think they are heading for the scrap bin. Will try again Ok back to wood and comfort t zone. carved the towing bit. On PTs 103 -108 the towing bit was wood, white oak . I'm a little happier with the bit we1.JPGwe5.JPG

Engine Hatch companionway the plans called for a shaped block of wood, with a lid on it. Wasn’t going there, so I scratch built something that looks a little better than shaped block wood.
ec1.JPGec3.JPGec4.JPGec6.JPGBrass for the torpedo tubes and other deck fittings, nowhere near ready to start the tubes, but wanted to cut them so I could scale other items on the deck. With done I will attempt to again make the engine room hold down brackets.

ngine Hatch companionway the plans called for a shaped block of wood, with a lid on it. Wasn’t going there, so I scratch built something that looks a little better than shaped block wood.
A scratch build companion hatch looks more realistic. One of the ways to make it 'live', if you don't mind, is to fabricate a hinges imitation. This can be done with the wire and glued on top. I am sure you get an idea...

Back