Dumas PT Boat (PT105) 1:30 scale by MOG [COMPLETED BUILD]

Added handles & latches to the engine room cover, latches are small very hard to see, quick primer coat to prep for clean-up sanding Made handles & deck brackets for the 20 MM ammunition boxes, boxes and lids are in the building stage. Also my thanks to Charles very good doczx1.JPGzx2.JPGzx3.JPG

Finally finished the 20 mm ammo lockers, ready for the primer. It took 5 days of trial & error, at times it was a real pain to get the right look, keeping something close to scale. Overall, I’m happy with them, which in the end is all that matters. My thanks to all who sent plans, ideas & picturesa1.JPGa3.JPGa4.JPGa5.JPGa6.JPG

My attempt to scratch build the 20mm gun horn, due to the noise, the 20 mm sits near the engine room, so the horn was used to notify the gunners. The horn is small, and I was working from pictures. took about a week I got it as close as my skill level will allow Still I think its a nice touch . and one you committed to detailing, h1.JPGhg2.JPGh3.JPGh4.JPG your all in

While waiting for a parts shipment, I decided to rework several areas, as with most builders, you look at something long enough, improve on a certain skill set, or both you always seem to find something you could do better. So I reworked the starboard ammo locker, the bridge spotlight locker, and the bridge starboard door. Time will tell if I keep them as is.q1.JPGq2.JPGq3.JPG

Built the Jack staff and Stern flag mast, pretty simple, they will look good with the pullies, lanyards and flags added. Scratch build Bridge search light, it took some work to get it right, only concern is the turn knob might be a little big ?? if so minor fix . Will add the glass & reflective inside after finale painting.sp6.JPGsp4.JPGsp3.JPGsp22.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
First my hopes & prayers go out to everyone during theses unsure times. The craft new all love seems rather secondary. One of my suppliers is from Spain which is closed for shipping, I’m still able is get deliveries from Cornwall boats for now, will stock up from them and work from back stock for the rest.

Started laying out the control panel area, the test fit went well, Made the throttle control box, it’s still rough, needs some smoothing but its close. All in all, after it will work just fine.z3.JPGz2.JPG

Made the foot rails from Mahogany, with guidance from Jeff D pt103.com I followed a cross of his drawings & Dumas patterns. Given the fragile scale here I will soak in water then heat bend them in place. Being very careful not to snap them.rf1.JPG

I just visited the website, it is amazing resource for the PT boats. A great collection of 3D printed parts - a very good quality and for different scales. Jus WOW. Many thanks for sharing, Mog!!! Thumbsup

Thanks,
Jeff D is leading source in the PT Boat world, He has been a good friend and a great help with research long before I started the build. His 3D parts are pretty amazing

Window drain scoops, each window has 1 & the gun turrets have 2. They will be reshaped slightly once installed. Without the equipment or really the skills to Photo Etch, tiny parts like this have to made which mean no 2 are exactly alike, but close. I do plan to learn how to make casting to help with the duplication process . Also with time to reflect on my work, I have made upgrades/improvements to most areas of the superstructurez1.JPG . Will post the results

I am looking at a Dumas PT109 kit on eBay, show to be a wooden kit, 33" long, but no kit number or scale info.

Looks to be an older kit from box image and design, Box says "THE ONE AND ONLY PT 109" on top of box artwork.

Is this same or similar kit to what you are building here.

I noticed online all new kits are premade one piece hulls for RC use...not what I am looking for.

Dumas kit 1233 1/30 33" is the newest upgrade of their old PT 109 kits. Larger scale Dumas are mainly for RC. It doesn’t really matter if your building static.

If its an old kit it will have wood sheets for the hull. The kit is plank/sheet on bulkhead, So the new kit comes with PVC for hull. I don't do PVC or solid hull, and do not really care for plastic. So, I replaced all the PVC with Mahogany sheeting. It is a good kit, but very basic lacking in allot of detail Everyone’s different, but I chucked the instruction book, the plan sheets are good. Did not use the PVC or the cast parts, 80% of the build is scratch built following plans on Jeff D’s PT103.com and Gene Berger’s build site, both have been great help. For me the bottom line was its hard to find a POB wood PT in larger scales, Dumas is a good company, so this kit is a good foundation for a PT build, I just wanted to take the build much farther than the kit presented, as far as my build log goes I have went back and upgraded allot of areas, after getting more info from Jeff D and the experts at ptboatfourm.com Again if you want to build a PT I highly recommend these sites

Ptboatfourm.com

Pt103.com

Ship Models by Gene Berger

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way. Please feel free to ask me questions anytime

Mike

Back