Dust Allergy!

Hello good people out there...…its me again (SAIF) from Mombasa, Kenya with a question once more.

Maybe this has been discussed earlier somewhere on this forums and probably not a big thing, just commonsense but I am asking anyways.

I have suddenly realized half way into making my USS CONSITUTION (BILLING BOATS) that I think I am allergic to wooden dust. Its gives me itchy nose, with running and sneezing etc. etc. which is sometimes very uncomfortable and worrying that it may bring an end to my Wooden ship building. I have tried face masks with no joy (we all wear face masks everyday recently thanks to Covid - 19).

Is there any other mask or gadget that will help me in this matter - is anyone else out there suffering as I do and still continue to build wooden ships? If yes then what do you do to make it more comfortable without falling extremely sick. Any options??? I know some of you might say move to Plastic ships but is that really a solution?

I am very disappointed about this sudden health issues and hope some one knows a way forward.

Best regards from the Safari Country Kenya.

Hello good people out there...…its me again (SAIF) from Mombasa, Kenya with a question once more.

Maybe this has been discussed earlier somewhere on this forums and probably not a big thing, just commonsense but I am asking anyways.

I have suddenly realized half way into making my USS CONSITUTION (BILLING BOATS) that I think I am allergic to wooden dust. Its gives me itchy nose, with running and sneezing etc. etc. which is sometimes very uncomfortable and worrying that it may bring an end to my Wooden ship building. I have tried face masks with no joy (we all wear face masks everyday recently thanks to Covid - 19).

Is there any other mask or gadget that will help me in this matter - is anyone else out there suffering as I do and still continue to build wooden ships? If yes then what do you do to make it more comfortable without falling extremely sick. Any options??? I know some of you might say move to Plastic ships but is that really a solution?

I am very disappointed about this sudden health issues and hope some one knows a way forward.

Saif, ask the guys at the auto shop that paint cars what masks they use. They should be well protected. The masks that we all now wear against COVID do not help against dust.

Off course, it will help to wear a mask during heavy sanding activities, this should done defintely, being alergic to dust or not.
Than use also a vacuum cleaner during the sanding, either with direct connection to the tool, or, what I do f.e. I clamp the end of the vac-tube into a bench-vice close to the sanding works, with this the dust is sucked away and it is not coming into my nose (let us say 95%)
And keep your workbench and floor dust free as possible, so vacuum the surface and floor regularely.

You should recognize and think about when this is happens, during which activity it happens. Is it really the wooden dust, or maybe a glue (f.e. CA) which you used in the same time?
Also some modelers are alergic to a special type of wood, so you should also check this.

Wow! CA???? never thought of that, actually I did use CA just yesterday and had somewhat itchy nose in the evening only to wonder why when I had not sanded any wood. But this could be a thought since you mentioned CA - question to all again, how many of you are allergic to CA?

But thank you Uwe, you always reach out and have suggestions to sometimes simple problems. Have a blessed day my friend.

I am still here if anyone else has any other ideas about allergies in this hobby...........

Best regards again from the Safari Country - kenya-great-migration-GREATMIGRATE0619.jpgmigration_masaimarasafari_wildebeests-600x400.jpgdramatic-wildebeest-crossing.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

And the crocodiles are waiting, that the first is jumping into the river

maxresdefault.jpg

As I know this is like Thanksgiving for the crocos .....

As I know several modelers and members have often problems with glue, especially CA-superglue, which is sometimes subject in the talks

There is indeed a problem with CA glue. And the mask does not always help, because CA vapors enter the body not only through the nose, but also through the mucous membrane of the eyes. I also have such a problem with CA glue, but I have not yet found a replacement.

A good respirator is a must when sanding. Not just for the dust, but also because there can be other nasty things in the wood. Bacteria and fungus to name a few. This is especially true when working with exotic woods from areas like the rain forests.

myavid76 mentions wearing a respirator. That reminded me that I have one in my garage that I wore during a shipyard period in Japan. Here are some photos of it. Since it was a Japanese shipyard and the identification marks are in Japanese, maybe one of the Forum members can translate. As you can see, it fits over the nose and mouth and is very effective in filtering out dust. I have no idea where you might procure one. If you do indeed have a severe dust allergy, a mask like this, and a vacuum set up, as earlier suggested, would allow you to keep modeling. Can't help on the CA glue allergy. Also, I've herd that no gnus are good gnus. (sorry, I couldn't resist after looking at your photos:))101_0272.JPG101_0274.JPG101_0275.JPG101_0280.JPG101_0273.JPG101_0277.JPG101_0279.JPG

I use this air cleaner while sanding. I place it on my work table right where I’m sanding. I run it on high. I also wear a mask.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 8
There is indeed a problem with CA glue. And the mask does not always help, because CA vapors enter the body not only through the nose, but also through the mucous membrane of the eyes. I also have such a problem with CA glue, but I have not yet found a replacement.
I was going to suggest that CA may be a problem and there are very few solutions from what I can tell. One is a mask and a fan and a lot of ventilation, but also gloves because if you are allergic even getting it on your skin can cause a reaction. Alexander there are so called non allergic CAs. I have tried them and found that the reaction is only delayed, but for small jobs you won't have a big problem (at least in my experience). One theory I have is that cheap and generic CAs are worse than top of the line brands, so shop around and try to find the best ones.

Hi Sharpranger, your symptons sound exactly like I developed from CA.(& gawd knows what else! ) I changed over to 'odorless' CA & don't suffer so much now. I still get sneezing & runny nose quite often, but that's probably inherited from my work repairing cars. The odorless I use is from :- Bob Smith Industries, which having tried others, I find the best. I tried Roket but it's more for foam having a 12-20 sec. drying time.

Good morning Alexander74, Uwek, myavid76, Coastie, MavRick, Thomas and Stuart Little.

Thank you so much all for the detailed suggestions including photos of the face mask and Vacuum Cleaner. Surely it is confirmed a respirator is mandatory in scale modeling of all kinds ( some of us take it for granted like I did) - timber, glues of all sorts, plastics, paint and many other materials used in Modelling etc. all have allergy of some kind and many become ill as I did. So I have invested in a respiratory mask ( another addition in my tool box) and will use it soon (taken a break for a while) hoping my difficulty will be resolved.

This was indeed a worthy post as I learnt that with me there are others who have similar issues. Though only a handful have responded but many, many more suffer from the same problems (Allergy).

Nevertheless, SHIPS OF SCALE is definitely a platform where all come together for one another to solve millions of issues in Model Ship building that I religiously follow for both the old build logs (plenty to read here) and also the current on going projects. Kudus to all.

Kenya is a beautiful country and is one of the largest hub around her region and growing at an alarming rate in development, but unfortunately, we do not have Hobby Shops yet and maybe will never, but, fortunately purchasing anything from abroad is just a few clicks away. The only disadvantage is sometimes our orders go missing from the POST OFFICE which never reach us.

Thank you again and have a wonderful week.

Keep well and be safe.

Best regards from Mombasa.

Saif

Stopped using CA. Took a bit of time for the runny nose, watery eyes and inevitable sneezing syndrome to settle down. I have a air cleaner running constantly while I work on my builds in my little shipyard, all my sanding is done outside while wearing a NK95 mask. So I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Jan

Hello Dockattner and Pathfinder65,

Dockattner, am using Locktite currently but it does not say 403. It reads as ÖRIGINAL. Will have to find out if anyone here does get 403s (the only 403s that were available here long time ago was the Peugeot 403 from France :):)), thank you though for your suggestion.

Pathfinder65, am already on a break, being on the creek gives me an edge to enjoy the cool early morning breeze from the ocean on my porch. It has cleared my running nose, sneezing and everything else in between for now and need to get back to my building soon, maybe this week hopefully. And yes have taken outdoors all the sanding and painting ETC.936239a3f7a413d2f016b58e6c366810.jpgf699215fb3c7e0c6cefbff72ffd435bb.jpgPeugeot_403_featuring_the_anti-pedestrian_bonnet_badge_fitted_on_earlier_versions.jpgPeugeot-Car-Advertisement-Peugeot-Wins-African-Rally-RoadTrack.jpg

Have attached some very old photos of the famous East African rally and the Police Force of Kenya who at the time used these 403s. A flyer is attached also showing the cost of the car at the time.

Thank you again all for all your help.

Enjoy the day.

Greeting from Mombasa.

Saif.,

Attachments

• 5d4b8093f58044916d8123198c36f79e.jpg
    5d4b8093f58044916d8123198c36f79e.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 0
Back