dust collection

HI EVERYONE REALLY NEED HELP ON A COUPLE OF THINGS VERY BADLY can anyone help me on telling me the difference between a filtration device(LIKE THE WEN ON AMOZON) and a dust collection system as my eyesight is getting VERY BAD TEARING UP BADLY AND I AM WORRIED MAKING AN APPOTMENT WITH MY EYE DOCTOR A LOT OF SANDING DUST IS IN MY LITTLE WORKSHOP THAT HAS NO VENTILATION AT ALL I do not need a DUST SYSTEM TO CONECT TO MY TOOLS I NEED SOMETHING TO PICK UP DUST IN THE AIR AS I SAND BOTH WITH MY DRMEL AND HAND SANDING REALY NEED YOUR HELP GUYS. THANKS Don

Don,
I definitely build some sort of dust extraction device for tools which generate lots of dust (ie. thickness sander, big disk sander) but I would not worry too much about dust extraction for manual sending and similar. This is obviously just my opinion and this is what I am doing in my workshopchen (meaning very small workshop in a mixed English-German word). Your situation might be different if your eyes are sensitive to dust. Your workshop might need a combined dust extraction system, consisting of local extraction points at different tools as well as a generic extraction + filtration for the whole workshop.
Janos

Thanks Janos, I have my power tools especially my thickness sander set up with a vacum and use it on my other tools also, but the majority of my sanding is done by hand, and the use of dremels, it is the dust in the air that I think is bothering my eys my room is full of airborne dust, is the infiltration the way to go, have looked atthe WEN infiltration item on Amozon affordable and wall mount witch i need because of room. Don

Don,
I don't really know because I don't know that equipment you mentioned. If you want to use it for extracting the dust created by hand sanding, I think you would need some sort of overhead and/or side exhaustion with relatively large inlet areas so it does not generate too strong a draft. (Think about a rangehood). And obviously an effective filter is also needed which you have to clean quite often afterwards...:D
Can you send a picture or a link of the WEN?
Janos

A cheap way to make a dust cleaning is to take an ordinary house fan and install a furnace filter over the suction side turn it on an clean air to follow.

I agree with Janos. I don't worry too much about dust from hand sanding, using a drill press or Byrnes saw. I do use a Shop-Vac attached to my thickness sander. All my modeling power tools are in my Standard tool workshop which does have a wall mounted dust collector for the usual ambient dust wood working creates.

The Hand sanding and drmnel sanding is what causing my eye dificulty I hope that is the case and not something else, my work room has no ventilation at all, in fact it is my TORANADO SANCTRARY, EVERYTHING IS COVERED IN DUST, in fact I am HAND WIPEING DOWN EVERY THING MY AIDE AND I WILL BE DOING THAT RIGHT AFTER I GET MY WEN INFILTRATION UNIT hope that works. Don

Hi Bob, That looks like it could work for me, do you know the cost, and does amozon handel this, also what is the weight of this approximatley THANKS Don

Hey Don, The Razair 530 is available from Razertip.com for $530.00 or so. Not sure if Amazon carries it but many wood carving businesses do. It is a great unit and there is a variety of filters available.

Bob

Hi, Don.
Have you considered a Down-Draft Table for sanding. I have 3 or 4 articles I can send if you want. Not sure what is best way to send, since total size of these is about 5MB. Is that too much to send via this forum? Let me know if you care to have them and how I should send them.
Best regards,
Steven Haskell

Can you post them
Hi, Don.
Have you considered a Down-Draft Table for sanding. I have 3 or 4 articles I can send if you want. Not sure what is best way to send, since total size of these is about 5MB. Is that too much to send via this forum? Let me know if you care to have them and how I should send them.
Best regards,
Steven Haskell
Can you post them here?

Hi Bob and all, Thanks for the information, the one you are talking about looks like a dream, everything I need but unfortunatly I can not afford it, I am pretty sure I am getting the WEN AIR INFILTRATION, unless I here that it does not work for my purposes. Don

I'm not familiar with Wen Air Filtration. Does it mount above the work area? I haven't built my own down draft table yet, but one of its attracting features for me is that air is pulled downward from around the work piece through the holes in the table and then blown through a filter or into the great outdoors. It will be interesting to hear how things work out for you. I'm all for learning from others.
Steven

I'm not familiar with Wen Air Filtration. Does it mount above the work area? I haven't built my own down draft table yet, but one of its attracting features for me is that air is pulled downward from around the work piece through the holes in the table and then blown through a filter or into the great outdoors. It will be interesting to hear how things work out for you. I'm all for learning from others.
Steven
Here is link,it pretty robust

Back