Dusting?

I have an assembled AL Swift that's been sitting uncovered on my mantel for 20 years. As you would expect, there's a lot of dust. I would appreciate some suggestions for how to clean it up.

thanks,
Rick

Maybe you try also such a "blower", which is used for cleaning dust from optical lenses - cost arround 8 to 10 Euro
I have one and it is working very good - especially no risk for loosing parts of the ship model by a vac
61p6w2l40lL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

You could use an air inflator. Battery powrred and usually comes with a selection of nozzles. There are many types available. You could even adapt tubing if needed.Screenshot_20210810-062311_Chrome.jpg

I use a combination of airbrush, a selection of soft brushes, a vacuum cleaner behind the model, earplugs and plenty of patience!

Ted

I have an assembled AL Swift that's been sitting uncovered on my mantel for 20 years. As you would expect, there's a lot of dust. I would appreciate some suggestions for how to clean it up.

thanks,
Rick
Hallo Rick alias @TnAeroNut
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

thanks,
Rick
Try it. Works perfectly and is permanently free. The air flow can also be regulated with a nozzle extension. I wish you success.:)

thanks,
Rick
Hallo @TnAeroNut
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello
Carefully vacuum up all loose dust first.
Make a mix made up of
40% Turpentine
40% liquid petroleum jelly
and 20% vinegar
Then with a "dry" brush, that is, the brush should not drip, but it should be wet in the mixture and then wrung out on a cloth, pass it through the places where the dust has caught a lot.

thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick
You never get all the dust away from all corners and edges whatever method you apply. After having carefully vacuumed up or carefully blasting or brushing off of the reachable dust I applied to 2 of my models who stood 30 and 15 years resp. without beeing covered in the living room . I applied the vernice in the attachment .
So I obtained a permanent not glossy wet look on my models.
After this applications both of my ships got display cases now.

Very İmportant: you should avoid to spray the rigging yarns because the fuzz on the yarns become very visible they don't seem smooth any more.
Make a trial first on a dusty piece where it is not visible or any other separate piece.
Good Luck ;)

IMG_4218.jpg

İn TnAeroNuts fall handelt es sich um eliminierung von staub der seit 20 Jahren sich auf dem model fest akkumiliert und fest gesetzt hat.Sehr schwer zu entfermen es sei den man spritzt es unter der dusche mit wasser,was ich bei einem meiner modelle probiert habe ( es war komplet mit wasserfestem klebestoff gebaut und gleich getrocknet natürlich)
Die Lösung für mich war schliesslich das was ich Rick in meinem post empfohlen habe.

In TnAeroNuts case it is about eliminating dust that has accumulated and settled on the model for 20 years. Very difficult to remove unless you splash it with water in the shower, which I have tried on one of my models ( it was completely built with waterproof glue and dried right away of course)
The solution for me was what I recommended to Rick in my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back