Ebony Wales

Would someone know where I can order some Ebony strips. I am building LSS Halifax and would like to substitute Ebony for the walnut that is included in the Kit for the Wales
Thanks

Would someone know where I can order some Ebony strips. I am building LSS Halifax and would like to substitute Ebony for the walnut that is included in the Kit for the Wales
Thanks
Send a Pm to @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) (click on his name)he has ebony and other woods too

Also check my signature ,there is a Lumberyard link,but better if you pm him.

Jim
It is Bob Hunt's Lauck Street Shipyard (LSS) POF kit version of the HMS Halifax that I am working on. I am just at the fairing the hull stage. Several years ago I did the Armed Virginia Sloop with practicum from Bob Hunt and also did the LSS POF kit version of the Fair American. I decided to start building again. Maybe I will do a build log
Thanks
Bob

Thanks for the thoughts. I did use on my Fair American but that was along time ago and I do not remember. Do you have any suggested substitutes. I would like to have a darker contrast for the Wales. Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts. I did use on my Fair American but that was along time ago and I do not remember. Do you have any suggested substitutes. I would like to have a darker contrast for the Wales. Thanks

I will use pear wood foor whale on my Ontario and black Minwax stain

Its horrible to sandpaper and it clogs up your sandpaper.
The dust is like coal dust.
Hi Bob, I have to agree with Brian and on top of that, Ebony it too brittle and oily. I have always a challenge bending it around the bow section. However, nothing can substitute the look of 'jet-black' color wales made out of Ebony. While there so many different species of Ebony, lately, I found a really good substitution to it. It is black hornbeam. It is chemically dyed hornbeam so has the same properties as hornbeam wood. I source this wood from Russia as couldn't find it in the US. Here is the link where @JohnSilver John, one of our SOS members showing the pictures of the black hornbeam: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/zhl-misticque.1446/page-5#post-52327

Last edited:
you can do a few things first Walnut will ebonize see the wood topic on that

Ebony is so brittle it is difficult to bend and there is really no point in using it unless you just want Ebony

another way is to laminate it like this

first you have to make a mold of the hull shape then sand the Ebony very thin like .020 to .015 thousandths soak it and press it into the mold and let it dry. Then it will pretty much hold its shape. Now you glue it to a backing wood.

once the piece is made it has to be an exact fit to the hull because at this point it will not bend at all.

I can supply you with Ebony and also African blackwood which is still difficult to work but it will bend better than Ebony. One issue with the blackwood is it is actually a rosewood and is oily making gluing a challenge

OR take a chunk of Ebony and carve it to the shape of the hull that way there is no bending involved.

Back