EJ's Floaty Boaty

Well, I guess this is where to start?

Found a piece of nice clear poplar out in the shop. 9/16" X 2 5/8" X 19 5/8". Didn't even have to cut it. Checked it on the cast iron table saw table against warp or twist. Flat as a pancake. Got it marked up.
Made two copies of the station mold patterns, keeping the guide intact.

Just waiting on wood. I've decided to order both cedar and cherry. I found some leftover white cedar and some clear spruce in the shop as well. I might have to make a "rental fleet" of these baby's, perhaps with 1 or two "prospector" style boats too.

Gmvim6p.jpg

Last edited:
After seeing the post re sizing of the station patterns, I resized and re printed them. Good thing I checked as the first set were off some. Was about to begin cutting the moulds on the scroll saw today.

EJ

I re-did the markings on the building board.
Cut templates from card stock for the station patterns, traced them onto the basswood (3/32 because that's what I had on the shelf), then cut them out on the scroll saw. Today I'll sand them to the line and start gluing them to the board.
I can't find my camera, so no pictures for this post. I used it when out on an estimate for some repair work and havn't found it since.

Borrowed the Admiral's camera.
Parts cut to size and sanded to the line.

45weFNS.jpg

Started gluing them to the board. I don't have a hot glue gun, so wood glue it is. In between letting the stations glue set up, I'm working on rigging the "lightning" sailboat.

0RpbcjI.jpg

Haven't heard from the lumber guy yet for ordering.

EJ

Thumbs-Up I like the "squaring jig".
G

They are machinist's 1-2-3 blocks. I also have machinists angle plates in 1 X 1, and 2 X 2 sizes. You can see some in the background. I use them a lot for gluing up. The glue stains them though, so the wax paper protects them from the glue - and - they don't stick to the boards.

I'm doing the glue up in the spray booth because the bench is full of "lightning" sailboat at the moment.

EJ

Would you find those at any machine supply shop online or maybe you have a favorite. I have seen them used before for other hobbies such as model railroading when you need to check track level in narrow scene to raise level above scenery.

I've seen other builders use these and meant to go search for them but forgot all about it. I can now see how
useful they would for a lot of projects. Look out google here I come!

A bit more done.
3 in place.
02l4sXP.jpg

Down to the ends
jUIJQ4z.jpg

Done - ready for lumber.
t3kmvtn.jpg

I did add a piece at the bottom of the last three as that glued connection seemed kinda small, plus the torque on those parts would be higher because of the bends at the stems. Better safe than sorry.

EJ

Did you get the long brass bar clamps at same machine shop website?

I like the added braces. I had thought the same thing, one small boat kit I had used dual braces on build board to sandwich the bulkheads in between.

I think I got those from Micro Mark. I have 4 that are about 3 3/4" long and 2 that are about 10 1/2" long.
The bars on the longer one's are a bit thicker, 5mm vs 4mm on the smaller one's, so are a bit stiffer. I wish the jaws on the longer one's were a bit longer though so I could get a deeper bite on things. I've been thinking of modifying mine somehow to extend the jaws.
I sometimes resort to carpenter tools like these 12inch Jorgensen's with a 2 1/2" jaw depth. A big overkill but sometimes necessary just to get the depth.
cQBu2jx.jpg

EJ

Well, It seems the orders are in for the Cedar and Cherry packages from Dave and My order from Sergey for a package in pearwood has been shipped. That might take a while because of the Covid quarantine though.
All the packages total price by the package cost about the same - $55.00 including shipping, $50.00 plus shipping (cost unknown at this time). Quite a bit of deviation in the product costs and shipping costs, but they come out the same or pretty close. I'm happy and looking forward to working with a new wood. I've looked all over for pearwood cut here in the States with no luck at all.

Now that the organization and ordering blitz is over, it's just a matter of waiting.

I have plenty to do in the meantime. Finish the rigging on my "Lightning" sailboat, and several 1 - 1 scale projects for customers - fix a dock at a local lake that the ice moved, Install a new steel door, frame and security hardware at the gun club, rebuild a small ground level deck at my cousin's (the old one is 35 years old), and finish putting everything back in place for the Admiral as we just had new carpet installed yesterday. That should fill in the time til the lumber gets here and keep my mind off the wait.

EJ

Wow.!!
Are you doing a 1:1 canoe.?? How did I miss that.??

From previous post;

"I have plenty to do in the meantime. Finish the rigging on my "Lightning" sailboat, and several 1 - 1 scale projects for customers - fix a dock at a local lake that the ice moved, Install a new steel door, frame and security hardware at the gun club, rebuild a small ground level deck at my cousin's (the old one is 35 years old), and finish putting everything back in place for the Admiral as we just had new carpet installed yesterday. That should fill in the time til the lumber gets here and keep my mind off the wait. "

Heavens no. The 1:1 work I referred to earlier is repairs for some of my old customers. What is today referred to as "handyman stuff" I guess. It's hard to get professionals to do the smaller jobs. They want the big jobs or stay home. My customer base is getting smaller and smaller. Good thing I guess, as I'm getting to the point that I probably shouldn't be doing this stuff anymore, especially since my open heart surgery last winter. But - I just really love building and fixing things. It's a passion. My letterhead had the motto - " We can build or repair the improbable. The impossible just takes a bit longer".

All that said, I did build a stripper canoe years ago. an 18 footer with Alaskan yellow cedar with mahogany accents. This was before digital cameras, cellphones and the internet. I used to have Kodak color slides of it, but those all got tossed years ago. It was a nice paddler and I used it for canoe camping.

When in my pre-teen and early teen days, us grandkids would stay at my grandparents home on Brower Lake for a couple weeks or so. Every year, Grandpa would build another boat of some kind. Part of our job was to help build them and to help maintain the existing boats. The new ones were made of whatever wood he could scrounge up. Caulked seams were filled with white lead paste and the boats were painted with lead based paint. Maybe that's whats wrong with me today? I have built several 1:12 scale replicas of some of those boats as I recall them. The pics are posted somewhere in the Canoe build threads.

All this canoe stuff has renewed in me a desire to build another 1:1 canoe though. I've thought about it for a few years now, but this thread has really peaked my interest. I just might have to prepare for a build in the shop this winter. I need to talk to Dave about possible lumber supplies for an 18 or 19 footer. HMMMMM. Just thinking.

EJ

Back