Endurance (1912)

Having received the OcCre kit of Shackleton's Endurance for Christmas I am keen to get started and wish to document my progress.
I am aware of the excellent build logs of this kit already on this site and hope you don't mind putting up with another.

I won't do a box opening or "what's in the box" as this has already been covered very well by others, so with no further ado my progress to date

keel and frames.png
The bulkheads were a slightly slack on the keel but no problem to keep square until the glue set.

deck planks.png
The deck planking is oversize for scale as mentioned by Bill-R. However, I don't have a means of reliably cutting them to size nor do I wish to purchase narrower planks.
I am ignoring the kit instructions for the plank shift and decided to use three plank shift which to me looks better. You will notice I am not depicting any nailing. I have experimented different methods but can't seem to get a realistic look to my eyes. In any case I have found the nailing hard to see in a lot of photos.
The caulking is black permanent marker down one edge and one end of the plank. I applied a sealer to the end grain before the marker to prevent the ink bleeding into the grain.

It looks great ! I wouldn't worry too much about the planking width. Not too many people are going to walk up to your model with a digital caliper to measure the width, much less know what the width is on the real ship to make the scale calculation except for people that are model builders on here. :D

It looks great ! I wouldn't worry too much about the planking width. Not too many people are going to walk up to your model with a digital caliper to measure the width, much less know what the width is on the real ship to make the scale calculation except for people that are model builders on here. :D
Thanks. I agree with your sentiments.

Good luck with the Endurance build. I am really enjoying mine. I started 2nd July. I'm way off what could be called an expert, this is only my second build but I'll follow yours and if I can help with specifics to the Endurance will do my best.

Most of all, have fun with the build. My Endurace is done with a few minor things. Still have to do something about the rigging, and rebuild the sloops, which in my opinion did not work out well. It is a very decorative ship with a wonderful history

Your work is looking great. I agree with you. In all of the pictures I have seen of the Endurance, I have never been able to make out any nails. I have seen several pictures that would indicate that the deck was painted.

Bill

Your work is looking great. I agree with you. In all of the pictures I have seen of the Endurance, I have never been able to make out any nails. I have seen several pictures that would indicate that the deck was painted.

Bill
Thanks for your kind words.
I work to the "arm's length" principal, if it looks fine at arm's length then it is fine by my standards.
Not sure about the decks being painted, it is possible they were but I prefer to leave deck natural wood, my model etc. etc.

Most of all, have fun with the build. My Endurace is done with a few minor things. Still have to do something about the rigging, and rebuild the sloops, which in my opinion did not work out well. It is a very decorative ship with a wonderful history
I build my models for fun and am more than happy with this kit. I am not out to super detail or 100% accuracy but will be making some adjustments to suit my taste.

Good luck with the Endurance build. I am really enjoying mine. I started 2nd July. I'm way off what could be called an expert, this is only my second build but I'll follow yours and if I can help with specifics to the Endurance will do my best.
I'm enjoying my build too. I certainly won't be getting any medals for speed of build. I will be taking my time and try to make a good job of it. Thank you for your offer of help, much appreciate it.

Thanks for your kind words.
I work to the "arm's length" principal, if it looks fine at arm's length then it is fine by my standards.
Not sure about the decks being painted, it is possible they were but I prefer to leave deck natural wood, my model etc. etc.

Let's be clear on one thing, I have deep respect for the builders who really sort everything out and use the right measurements, for planks and all the other things. I read on this forum with deep awe the stories about making your own rope with the right dimensions and materials and other details. Sometimes I sit with my mouth open looking at the photos to see how detailed some models are. Personally, I'm more of the arm-length principle, as Dave describes it. My first model died because of trying to use the details as I remembered when building the model, I had sailed that ship for years myself, so I had enough knowledge. But in the search for perfection I lost the fun in the project. That's why I now build according to the principle; I'm the boss on my yard, and I really enjoy getting things done as best as possible, but I'm less successful, too bad. Fun that's my main issue. But what fantastic builders are here on the forum, deep respect.

Let's be clear on one thing, I have deep respect for the builders who really sort everything out and use the right measurements, for planks and all the other things. I read on this forum with deep awe the stories about making your own rope with the right dimensions and materials and other details. Sometimes I sit with my mouth open looking at the photos to see how detailed some models are. Personally, I'm more of the arm-length principle, as Dave describes it. My first model died because of trying to use the details as I remembered when building the model, I had sailed that ship for years myself, so I had enough knowledge. But in the search for perfection I lost the fun in the project. That's why I now build according to the principle; I'm the boss on my yard, and I really enjoy getting things done as best as possible, but I'm less successful, too bad. Fun that's my main issue. But what fantastic builders are here on the forum, deep respect.
Hear! Hear!
couldn't agree more.

Having received the OcCre kit of Shackleton's Endurance for Christmas I am keen to get started and wish to document my progress.
I am aware of the excellent build logs of this kit already on this site and hope you don't mind putting up with another.

I won't do a box opening or "what's in the box" as this has already been covered very well by others, so with no further ado my progress to date

View attachment 348461
The bulkheads were a slightly slack on the keel but no problem to keep square until the glue set.

View attachment 348463
The deck planking is oversize for scale as mentioned by Bill-R. However, I don't have a means of reliably cutting them to size nor do I wish to purchase narrower planks.
I am ignoring the kit instructions for the plank shift and decided to use three plank shift which to me looks better. You will notice I am not depicting any nailing. I have experimented different methods but can't seem to get a realistic look to my eyes. In any case I have found the nailing hard to see in a lot of photos.
The caulking is black permanent marker down one edge and one end of the plank. I applied a sealer to the end grain before the marker to prevent the ink bleeding into the grain.
Good start
Using the sealer before the black marker is a good idea.
I'll be doing that on my build

Some progress made. I pinched an idea from Bill-R and made a modification to the space under the foredeck. From drawings it appears the anchor winch is housed in there so I made representation of one using bits from my "odds'n'sods" box. Not too worried about accuracy as it will be mostly hidden, I just wanted something to fill the space.

winch.pngdecks.png

Last edited:
Back