Endurance from Occre by Mallacoota

My first kit from OcCre and unboxing is pretty impressive. Best parts list I have had certainly a huge improvement on the Riva Aquarama. The plans are all in A3 size rather than full sheet and I think I like that. Much easier to lay parts on the 1:1 plan than when it is pinned to wall.
Looking forward to this as I have just finished reading "Endurance - Shackletons incredible voyage" by Alfred Lansing. What an amazing story....now reading "The Ship beneath the ice" by Mensun Bound which is the 2022 discovery and photographing of the ship in 3000m of water in the Weddell Sea.

Last edited:
Pretty regulation start. Number the parts...good numbering on the A3 diagrams. Attach some temporary legs to the keel to stand it in the keel stand. Then fix every second bulkhead first time to allow plenty of room for square holders.

20230404_093418.jpg20230404_093427.jpg

Only the keel itself is MDF and personally I like that because over that length I have often found ply develops a bend very easily. My MS Bluenose had that problem badly.

Last edited:
The kit just has a planking plan with every second plank overlapped the same amount marked out on full length strips. I want to show some regard to scale and cutting deck planks to 90mm is consistent with actual planks of about 6m which I am guessing might have been available....anway thats as small as I want to make my planks. I am laying them with every 3rd plank repeated ...should be every 5th probably but thats a bridge too far.

20230405_111624.jpg
that should be OK

20230405_112950.jpg

Yep that will do it.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Endurance build. I'm nearing the end of mine and have loved it all the way.
As you say, an incredible story that makes the build so much more interesting.

Decks stained with baltic pine which was how the original was clad. I bet the original didnt look as ugly as mine... should be OK when I get some more stuff on to distract from the staining....the decking material took up the stain in a blotchy pattern not at all evenly.... whatever..!!

View attachment 368050
Good morning. Great model choice. She is a stunning model to display and has so much history attached. I think your deck looks nice and realistic. Once you add all the cabins and multitude of detailed fittings I think the look you achieved will pull through in a realistic way. The “ ugly” as you put it will be transformed for sure. If it’s not the look you want it can be sanded down or redone …..Cheers Grant

Will follow your build with interest. I have the box sitting in my cupboard and plan to start sometime this year once I have completed my Occre Endeavour build.

Have managed to tone down the deck staining quite a bit and now happy as it has ended up about where I wanted. I have to confess a beginners blunder... (like a really dumb mistake.) I placed the rear bulkhead with the cutout for the companionway on the port side.... then proceeded to build the deck the other way with the matching companionway cutout on starboard. I only saw it when it was much too late to backtrack....but I could hear my long dead father saying "measure twice cut once". I made up a new piece with correct cutout and the required portholes and glued it to the errant bulkhead so got out of jail.20230410_125508.jpg

Hi, Like the baltic pine stain on the deck! The variation just gives it a true distinction of what wood can do, there is no consistency and a lot gets covered with deck houses and other bits and pieces anyway. Watching with great interest. (rather be out fishing, especially down where you are, lol)

Back