Endurance - OcCre - 1:70 - Jeff T [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi all. I have started my next project (actually I started a few weeks age, but am just now starting a build log). I have selected the Endurance by OcCre. I chose this kit for a few reasons.
1. Reasonably priced
2. I wanted to try an OcCre kit
3. It is a historical exploration ship that will be going to my son's family for display. A warship might not have been as good for them.

To start, the materials in the kit seem to be of very good quality and quanity. I found a bit of overage on most standard wood strips which is always welcome. The pictorial instructions are typical OcCre and therefore quite good. The written instructions are also typical OcCre and therefore not so good. This could make this a challenge for a first build without doing some reading on basic techniques such as planking first. The laser cut pieces are quite cleanly cut and I liked the packaging of the materials. I purchased the kit with the sails and we'll see how those work out in a number of months. The kit includes a number of different sizes and colors of rigging thread. I am very certain that I will not be using these as they are very soft/stretchy and fuzzy. For today, here are some pictures of the contents of the model box.

IMG_6411.jpgIMG_6605.jpgIMG_6606.jpgIMG_6607.jpgIMG_6608.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Bill. It is great to see another Endurance being built. It seems that this is a very popular kit, so Occre got their planning spot-on to bring this one to market!

This has been a kit of interest for me for a while. I'll be watching your build log to see how it goes.

I'm on my first build, the Albatros by OcCre, and am starting to think of what my second will be. The Endurance was recommended by OcCre and by Ages of Sail in California. I agree with the quality of OcCre's products (although I don't have any other companies to compare it to) and their customer service has been great. I'll watch your build with great interest. Thanks for posting!

Great choice Jeff. I am following other guys building the Endurance and it looks like a fun and rewarding model to build.You also have some great references on this site. Enjoy

I got started with the bulkheads, false decks and backbone keel. The OcCre kit is well made and cut with the bulkheads requiring little to no adjustment to ensure they are placed at right angles. I would advise checking each bulkhead as you install, but they should go in easily. I used Titebond II to glue mine in place. I placed the decks on without gluing to make sure the fit was correct. Again, no issues. After the initial glue dried, I ran a bead of Titebond along each of the bulkhead/keel joints to add strength to the joint and added the additional parts to the keel for planks to attach to later. IMG_6619.jpgIMG_6620.jpg

You may note that I painted the exposed surfaces of three bulkheads white as per the instructions. I think 5 coats were required to get full coverage. The decks are still not glued at this point.
IMG_6622.jpg

Slowly progressing on my build of the Endurance. I am proceeding with the bulwarks of the ship.

The bow
IMG_6654.jpg

The pieces added to the insides of the midship bulwarks.
IMG_6655.jpg

Details of the aft and fore bulkhead extension simulations.
IMG_6656.jpgIMG_6657.jpg

I also have painted the insides of the bulkheads white. I am considering doing another 2-3 coats as the 5 or 6 I have already done just don't seem to be enough after stepping away from it for a few days.
IMG_6673.jpg

Next up - The first layer of planking.

I have been looking at this kit for awhile now so I will watche your build with interest. My question may not be appropriate for your build log but I will ask it anyway in the hopes that someone can answer it. I am in Canada and limited in hobby suppliers carrying this product. Would I be wise to order the kit direct from the manufacturer or from a hobby supplier in the US?

Hi Bruce,

I am also in Canada and I have found one of the best prices for kits is in the UK with a company called Cornwall Model Boats (CMB - link below). I have compared the price of Occre kits from them with online stores in the US. Nearly every time I have found CMB better priced despite the Canada/UK exchange rate. In addition they price their items 20% VAT tax free for exports. I have had a few kits and fittings from them with never a problem.

The other good option is direct from Occre.

Hi Bruce. Welcome to the fun. I cannot answer about where to purchase the Endurance in Canada. I bought mine from Premier Ship Models' US site (as opposed to the UK site). I bought from them as they had a free shipping and sale price deal on the Endurance when they first got it in stock in April 2021. It was in my stock until I finished my previous build.

Thank you Jeff and Roger for your feedback. I will keep both approaches in mind when I move on to my next build which may verywell be the Endurance by Occre.

You are welcome Bruce, glad to help. I really like the lines of this ship and the history too, so I am looking forward to Jeff’s build.

Hi all. I have started my next project (actually I started a few weeks age, but am just now starting a build log). I have selected the Endurance by OcCre. I chose this kit for a few reasons.
1. Reasonably priced
2. I wanted to try an OcCre kit
3. It is a historical exploration ship that will be going to my son's family for display. A warship might not have been as good for them.

To start, the materials in the kit seem to be of very good quality and quanity. I found a bit of overage on most standard wood strips which is always welcome. The pictorial instructions are typical OcCre and therefore quite good. The written instructions are also typical OcCre and therefore not so good. This could make this a challenge for a first build without doing some reading on basic techniques such as planking first. The laser cut pieces are quite cleanly cut and I liked the packaging of the materials. I purchased the kit with the sails and we'll see how those work out in a number of months. The kit includes a number of different sizes and colors of rigging thread. I am very certain that I will not be using these as they are very soft/stretchy and fuzzy. For today, here are some pictures of the contents of the model box.
Hallo @Jeff T
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back