Engine Sound Simulation

After a period of doubts on which model I was going to build next I finally decided I was going to build a functional model again.
One thing I did not want was a lot of plastic.
Taking that into account and the fact that that I wanted something looking quite nice, which is a matter of taste of course, I came across the Anteo of Mantua/Panart, a model of a steam tug, and decided I would go for that.
Next question was "which motor?".
Woud I go for a steam engine or electric?
Since commercially available steam engines are quite expensive and not to real scale, and since I am not capable of building one myself, I decided to go for electric but mimic the sound of a steam engine.
Surfing the internet to find out the options to do so, I came across this:
The circuit is originally designed to reproduce the sound of trucks and cars, but since with the aid of some tooling one can create his own sound files, I see no reason why it could not be used for a boat or a ship by adding the sounds of a ship's steam or Diesel engine and the appropriate bells or whistle.

In the mean time I have reproduced the circuit by ordering a PCB in China with the SMD parts populated. The through hole parts I soldered myself.
For now, as a test, the circuit is setup to reproduce the sounds of an old VW beetle. It is really amazing what it can do. It reproduces the sound of a starting engine, a running engine with the sound adapted according to the speed, the sound of the horn, and even the sound of the bi-metal switch box controlling the direction indicators. And most of this simultaneously. Just like real.
Apart from the sound, the circuit has als the ability to steer lights. Some of them automatically like the indicators and the brake light.
All these functions are in my view adaptable by modifying the code, to suit functions found on a ship.

The drawback that I see is that it is not for everybody. One needs to know how to set up the programming environment and have some basic C like programming skills.

But for those who can, it is really a splendid circuit. And of course all credit goes to the person who designed it and shares his design for free on the Github.
Since I was so impressed I decided to share this among model ship builders.

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• tempImageADsqoe.png
    tempImageADsqoe.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Back