English Cutter Half Hull 1:32 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I glued the bulkheads in place along with the bow planking support. It has been a long time since my last pob model, and I probably over did the planking support filler blocks. I laid out the waterline with a string if the deck were parallel to the waterline it would be a steep climb from the stern to the bow. The wale is made from basswood 3/8” wide by 1/8” thick and has a sharp bend at the bow. I dyed the wale black. The garboard strake will be next.

IMG_3352.jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3354.jpgIMG_3373.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3377.jpg
    IMG_3377.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3379.jpg
    IMG_3379.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3380.jpg
    IMG_3380.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Donnie, I hope I don’t put everyone asleep lol.

Don asks how I was cutting the notches and I replied by bandsaw, that is correct but the notches in the hog on the keel assembly drawing need some special care. The notches on the right hand need to be cut at an angle due to the length of the hog. I show this in the second and third photos. The first photo shows the keel assembly patterns attached and the last shows all the parts rough cut over the plan. The next step will be a lot of sanding and glue it together.

View attachment 218058View attachment 218059View attachment 218060View attachment 218061

Hey Mike! Cutting the notches with a a scroll saw would eliminate those angle cuts due to the hog’s length! Just sayin’!

Thanks Dave, I am using European Beachwood for the planking it is easy to bend. The strips were cut on a Proxxon table saw, cut the notch for the lap joint with a single pass through the saw. Started with the garboard strake and a bunch of clamps.

Wow, Very nice work. I see you are not using a building board which allows for more access for clamping. Next time. Your photos are nice and close showing your good work. I take it you don't use your phone. I'll get the hang of all this eventually. Aloha

Thanks Mike, I am using European beach wood and it takes more pressure to hold the planks in place, a build board is not too useful on this type of build for me. I do use an iPhone 11 it has an auto focus feature that works extremely well.

Thanks Dave, I am using European Beachwood for the planking it is easy to bend. The strips were cut on a Proxxon table saw, cut the notch for the lap joint with a single pass through the saw. Started with the garboard strake and a bunch of clamps.
I like that approach to the lap joint. I've got to get one of those saws. I'm just adding a small strip of 1/32 by 3/16 tapered at the ends to the preceding plank to make the step. I made my wale just over 5/16 and will be dying it black too. Aloha

After seeing how nice Mike J.’s gunports looked I decided to add some to my model along with a planked deck. It would have been easier to make these additions before I had the bulkheads in place, but I was looking at this as a planking exercise. I used a compass and straight edge to define the area to be removed from the top of the bulkheads. I used a Rockwell 80 to rough cut the area, it was a bit on the messy side, tomorrow I will refine the area and add deck beams. This is a few photos of the progress so far.
IMG_3399.jpgIMG_3400.jpgIMG_3401.jpgIMG_3403.jpgIMG_3404.jpgIMG_3405.jpg

Refining the deck took longer than I thought it would as usual. Shaping the bow and stern was a lot like building a dugout canoe! I will finish the lower planking before framing the upper structure. This is a few progress photos.

IMG_3417.jpgIMG_3418.jpgIMG_3419.jpgIMG_3420.jpg

Thanks Don, we are looking forward to your progress photos.

HI MIKE, I HAVE A QUESTION MAYBE A STUPID ONE BUT HERE GOES ON YOUR BUILD YOU SHOW THE PLANKS ON THE STERN ENDING ON THE BEARDING LINE/RABITT, WITCH I LIKE VERY MUCH AND AM GOING TO DO IT THAT WAY, A LOT OF LOGS POB SHOW STERN PLANKS ENDING ON THE STERN POST WITCH IS THE RABITT LINE, WITCH ONE IS CORRECT HISTORICALLY I AM DOING IT YOUR WAY MY BUILDERS CHOICE BTW I AM GOING NUTS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT CLAMPS FOR WALES AND PLANKING BOY THIS IS A PROBLEM I ONCE SAW SOMEONE USING BINDERS WITH THE ARMS IN A DIFFERENT WAY BUT CAN NOT FIGURE HOW IT GOES. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Back