Enterprise (Constructo)

I am looking forward to see your Enterprise growing ......

Thank you. Just started planking last night and ran into a small issue with the stern. But I came up with a solution that will prevent boards shsped like a "Q".

I noticed during a fit test that using the parts stated by the instructions there would have been a "step" from the stem to the keel pieces. So I made a spacer from some Sapelle to bring the keel level with the stem. Some mild sanding on the basswood keel piece and they are now level.

20221004_195318.jpg

Now I think I am ready to tackle the second planking. Little nervous about this one as the boards have to fit perfectly to avoid gaps. Got this idea from Dave Stevens to make good cuts.

20221004_194445.jpg

....Might need a few more clamps. .....
You can never have enough clamps - and this of different sizes and forms and lengths and types and ........
After years I have still the feeling that I have too less and need more

Wondering if I should work on this or the second planking. Worried about wrecking those thin boards for the second layer while working this piece. Hhhmmmmmm.

20221014_202040.jpg

Wondering if I should work on this or the second planking. Worried about wrecking those thin boards for the second layer while working this piece. Hhhmmmmmm.

View attachment 334368
Worried about external planking hull damage? Make a cradle with cloth contact surfaces or use keel vise. You can craft all of these model supports from wood, and each will be used at different stages of construction.

1665807059584.png

A multi-positional keel vice is great for hold the model at different angles to make rigging easier, especially for shrouds and ratlines.
1665806957197.png

A simple stand with felt pads for contact surfaces can be made to hold the hull inverted when working on hull planking.
1665807226881.png

Last edited:
Worried about external planking hull damage? Make a cradle with cloth contact surfaces or use keel vise. You can craft all of these model supports from wood, and each will be used at different stages of construction.

View attachment 334370

A multi-positional keel vice is great for hold the model at different angles to make rigging easier, especially for shrouds and ratlines.
View attachment 334369

A simple stand with felt pads for contact surfaces can be made to hold the hull inverted when working on hull planking.
View attachment 334371
Yeah. A better stand will do the trick. Thanks Darivs

I have been on the fence about finishing this ship. I am stuck between clear coat to show the wood beauty or paint it as it was in the real. Any reccomendations/preferences?

I have been on the fence about finishing this ship. I am stuck between clear coat to show the wood beauty or paint it as it was in the real. Any reccomendations/preferences?
My solution was to build two models, not of the same ship, but one with bare wood and the other painted as it would have appeared. I had a very hard time deciding this also, and that was all I could come up with.

My solution was to build two models, not of the same ship, but one with bare wood and the other painted as it would have appeared. I had a very hard time deciding this also, and that was all I could come up with.
An intresting idea. I don't have that much room lol. But I will be redoing the America once this one is complete. I want to do that one correctly. That one will definately be painted per period scheme.

Back