Enterprise Maryland 1799 1:51 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Completed most of the standing rigging except for the ratlines. Waiting for some more rope.

Here's some pictures of my attempt at the gaffs.
View attachment 197720View attachment 197721

The observant eye will notice there is no hardware on the gaffs :(
So now I'm attempting to add the rigging hardware while the gaffs are mounted :rolleyes:.

Here are some pics of the making of the gaff jaws.
Not sure if it's the right way but it's what I did.
Basically made my own design, sanded it down and used it as a template.
View attachment 197723View attachment 197724View attachment 197725

It's been a while since I've posted anything,mainly because of the backyard remodel.
We are almost done so I though I would throw up a few pics of the before and after.
Not really related to model ship building but it is the reason I didn't get much done on the model ;).
This is a DIY project!
Before:View attachment 197727

After:
View attachment 197730

View attachment 197731View attachment 197732View attachment 197733
Oh my word! How cool is that! You won't have much time for models now. You'll be in the back yard.

I used to live in Merced, Rowboat. Lots of stuff to do over there. And you can pretty much do it year-round. Swimming in Lake Yosemite wasn't much fun, though. Too cold--even when it was 105 outside.

@Vfordyce ,

Currently the temp is a low of 40 to high of 64 and sunny, not bad for winter weather :)

Lakes Tahoe water is the same, 100 degrees outside and the lake is 54 degrees, lol.
Only stepped in up to my ankles and that was enough.

We do need some rain though but that's an ongoing issue.

@Vfordyce ,

Currently the temp is a low of 40 to high of 64 and sunny, not bad for winter weather :)

Lakes Tahoe water is the same, 100 degrees outside and the lake is 54 degrees, lol.
Only stepped in up to my ankles and that was enough.

We do need some rain though but that's an ongoing issue.
Been there. It’s beautiful. Our ex in-law/outlaw had a cabin up there. It was nice.

I've finally started the "ratline-ing" of the shrouds.
Turns out it isn't as bad as I thought. :D

DSC01824.JPG

DSC01825.JPG

I'm using 0.40mm rope as the shrouds are 0.80mm.
I'm separating them by 10mm.

I only order 20foot of 0.40mm rope and I'm using 3 inches on each ratline.
There are 19 to 20 ratlines for each of the 4 shroud groups.

Calculated out that means I have no room for errors :oops: ..... and I make errors :eek:.

I do have a question: How do you tie off the starting knot, do you do a single knot, a double knot, or something else.
I started with the double knot but it looked to obtrusive.

So I switched to a single knot, however I'm concerned this knot will come apart later, even after gluing.

Are my concerns valid?

I use a double on the beginning and a clove hitch on the end. If I need to, I adjust them up or down. After I get them all where I want them, I add just a touch of super glue to make sure they hold. There are some videos of that process out there.

Wow, thanks members for the quick replies.

The video shows starting with a single knot and then using clove hitches.

I'll keep trying that and test using elmers glue and/or super glue.

Hope to have the port side finished in a day or two.

I think you only glue the starting knot until all the clove hitches are in place. Then you can glue the others. Thankfully, you don't have 7 or 8 shrouds on each side at 1:100 scale like I had on my Constitution.

Good day to all,

Some progress on the ship.
I've completed the ratlines and moved on to rigging the blocks for the yards.
One point I would make is that when rigging the ratlines putting a piece of white paper behind the shrouds helps in seeing the lines, especially when you get near the top.

I pulled off all the gaffs and attached the hardware, something I had forgot to do when tying them to the mast.
Not sure how I would forget something like that but I did. So, I paid the price and cut them out since it's easier to work on.

I also worked on the hardware for the yards.
The plans call for using 0.40mm wire to wrap the blocks but I do not like that look.

I went with using rope to tie all the blocks to the yards and gaffs.
I sanded down the gaff jaws so they didn't wrap around the masts, thus making it easier to put them on.

Question: When do you attach the sails? Before installing the gaffs and yards or after. Or is it in between, that is, install some without sails and put them on later?

DSC01826.thumb.JPG.c3958a4b70eee4bb5b16ccc2df6b918c.JPG

DSC01827.thumb.JPG.984884f175155c9f2c0cb41e2765e56f.JPG

Slow progress attaching each block using rope but I do like the look.

I just realized why I asked the question: when to put sails on.

My first build was a simpler model ship and the sails were glued on at the end of the build.

I don't remember there being any running rigging.

Knowing that, I will definitely attach the sails before installing.

My first build was a simpler model ship and the sails were glued on at the end of the build.

I did it afterwards on my Constitution, but I would suggest belaying the running lines and running them up before installing the sails. Also the hanks could be added. Otherwise, it would be murder to tie them up around the shrouds and sails.

My Enterpise build log shows how I worked the sail Installation. I started at the stern and worked my way forward to the bowsprit.

Jan

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Jan, looks like in your build you installed the boom gaff and main gaff then ran the rigging and lastly attached the sail.
The other sails looked to be attached before installing.
I like the idea of starting from the back.

Currently the wife is “threading” the sails. When she’s done I’m tasked with hand sewing the perimeter ropes. I don’t think I have enough running rigging so that will need to be ordered.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Jan, looks like in your build you installed the boom gaff and main gaff then ran the rigging and lastly attached the sail.
The other sails looked to be attached before installing.
I like the idea of starting from the back.

Currently the wife is “threading” the sails. When she’s done I’m tasked with hand sewing the perimeter ropes. I don’t think I have enough running rigging so that will need to be ordered.
Hi,

Indeed that was my method. The only problem I had were the jibs, I wound up sewing the rings into the jibs and redoing the rigging that supports them. Unfortunately there were no hints in the instructions so I had to bumble my way through that part.

Jan

Still on hold for the sails to get threaded.
In the mean time I temporarily installed the yards.

I can't seem to find where I tie them off at on the boat.
A line runs through the mast and warps around the yard but the instructions don't seem to show where to tie off the line.

It's hard to see what line I'm talking about int these pictures but it's the one(s) that wrap around the yards.DSC01897.JPG
DSC01896.JPG

Also test fitting the boom gaff, the lines running from the end of the gaff up towards the mast keep twisting. Trying to use a clamp to keep it straight.
DSC01901.JPGDSC01900.JPG

Slow going but moving forward.

Last edited:
Still on hold for the sails to get threaded.
In the mean time I temporarily installed the yards.

I can't seem to find where I tie them off at on the boat.
A line runs through the mast and warps around the yard but the instructions don't seem to show where to tie off the line.

It's hard to see what line I'm talking about int these pictures but it's the one(s) that wrap around the yards.View attachment 204186
View attachment 204185

Also test fitting the boom gaff, the lines running from the end of the gaff up towards the mast keep twisting. Trying to use a clamp to keep it straight.
View attachment 204188View attachment 204187

Slow going but moving forward.
I had the same situation on my Connie. Which way does it go, George? Which way does it go? That's from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Back