Fairing POF frames ?

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

When building a POF model such as the Blandford Cross section how are the frames faired especially the inner surface ?? Is it different on a cross section it being shorter than a full hull ? Techniques ?
Thanks Tony

In order to start the discussion and to try to give some information.

First of all related to the cross section - most of the cross sections are midships, so often the frames does no need or only slightly need some fairing.

On a complete hull of a full model, it is often helping to fair roughly the frames before the final installation on top of the keel. Here I often use my oszillating drum sander and also my Proxxon drill with a sanding drum.
The final fairing I use more or less all my available tools and sanders, power and hand..... until now I did not find for myself any technique, which is working every where inside the complete hull. So often it is a multiple way.......

Take a look at our POF building logs, scratch, but also kits and you will find several information of possible ways and techniques.

BTW: On which project you are working?
Maybe it would be good, that you give us some more info, so we could give additional advise or share the experience on the same project.....

Ok thanks that's what I thought. I'm working on nothing now. My HMS Fly is mothballed, probably permanently. I plan to start a Blandford Cross section when I can.

Ok thanks that's what I thought. I'm working on nothing now. My HMS Fly is mothballed, probably permanently. I plan to start a Blandford Cross section when I can.
The small areas of fairing on the HMS Blandford section can be easily done by hand
BTW: It is a very good project to jump in and start POF scratch building :cool:

Back