Father's Day gift help

(Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong forum)

Hello everyone!

I joined this forum to get advice about gifts I could get my recently retired father, who was a chief engineer merchant marine. He has started to work on a model of the first ship he ever sailed on--a model he started over 30 years ago and then put away. It's made from scratch, to scale, and the main body is made out of metal.

Based on his interest in this (and the fact that he'll likely continue making more models, perhaps from scratch), I'd like to get him a father's day gift related to model ship building. I've searched the web for supply websites---I was thinking of getting him a giftcard---but I don't know enough about the hobby to feel confident in the supply store I might choose.Plus, many seem to focus on wood ships. I'm a little lost, and hoping some of you might have suggestions of good supply store websites.

I'm also wondering if there is a magazine subscription related to this hobby that I could purchase for him. Does anyone know of any good model ship building magazines?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'd appreciate any help you can provide!

Hello everyone!

I joined this forum to get advice about gifts I could get my recently retired father, who was a chief engineer merchant marine. He has started to work on a model of the first ship he ever sailed on--a model he started over 30 years ago and then put away. It's made from scratch, to scale, and the main body is made out of metal.

Based on his interest in this (and the fact that he'll likely continue making more models, perhaps from scratch), I'd like to get him a father's day gift related to model ship building. I've searched the web for supply websites---I was thinking of getting him a giftcard---but I don't know enough about the hobby to feel confident in the supply store I might choose.Plus, many seem to focus on wood ships. I'm a little lost, and hoping some of you might have suggestions of good supply store websites.

I'm also wondering if there is a magazine subscription related to this hobby that I could purchase for him. Does anyone know of any good model ship building magazines?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'd appreciate any help you can provide!
How's he doing for tools? Take a look at Micro-Mark, at their offerings. Maybe you can find something he would like.

I agree with Philski. Tools are a great idea for a gift. You can always have an idea of the tool he might interest in. There always a need for tools, but always look for good ones.

Hallo and warm welcome here on board of our forum.

I agree with the friends, that a giftcard for tools is the best idea - he knows best (after some time) which tools he need.

The other question about the magazine subscription - Unfortunately there are no real good printed regular publications exsiting any more.
Partly forums like SOS are guilty for this - most modelers are reading articles and building logs in the forum and not any more in magazines.
But maybe a good book or set of drawings would be a very good addition as a gift - depending on the subject, time period, navy etc. we can give you some advise

Here are several book and planset reviews

FOR ME A GIFT CERTIFICATE FOR TOOLS IS THE BEST, CHECK AMOZON ALSO FOR TOOLS, IF HE NEEDS BAND SAW, DRILL PRESS LIKE TOOLS GO TO YOUR HOME IMPROVEMENT CENTER (MENARDS GOOD TOOLS EXCELLENT PRICES) BE CAREFUL OF VERY EXPENSIVE TOOLS FOR MODELERS, HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hello everyone!

Hallo and warm welcome here on board of our forum.

I agree with the friends, that a giftcard for tools is the best idea - he knows best (after some time) which tools he need.

The other question about the magazine subscription - Unfortunately there are no real good printed regular publications exsiting any more.
Partly forums like SOS are guilty for this - most modelers are reading articles and building logs in the forum and not any more in magazines.
But maybe a good book or set of drawings would be a very good addition as a gift - depending on the subject, time period, navy etc. we can give you some advise

Here are several book and planset reviews

I'm a new and ignorant enthusiast who has recently subscribed to the "Nautical Research Journal" and it seems to me a terrific magazine--having just received my first issue

Hello everyone!

Hallo @HellenicSea
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I would agree that instruments will please him. Making miniature ships is my father's hobby too. As for me, every year on his birthday, we spend all day together making his models. We don't even talk much, just calmly involve in the process. This is the only day I see my father is smiling for hours. The present itself doesn't matter. Last year I bought him a 3d-printer, this year - tailored house number plaque, but his reaction was the same. So, maybe try to spend some time with your father (if you rarely do so, ofc). Unfortunately, I'm living thousands of miles from mine.

Last edited:
I would agree that instruments will please him. Making miniature ships is my father's hobby too. As for me, every year on his birthday, we spend all day together making his models. We don't even talk much, just calmly involve in the process. This is the only day I see my father is smiling for hours.
a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Yes - the modelers are often smiling during working on a model - but sometimes..... we want to through into the garbage bin ;)

Back