Few words about Kits.

I have sometimes the feeling, that maybe builder, who bought a Kit, think that it is laying down a Puzzle, but we are far from that over my 50 years plus, I have NEVER seen a KIT without mistake, both in Materials -mainly wood - and the Instruction Manuals. I have until now not SEEN ONE single Instruction Manuals without Failer, Bad explanation. They all start with the False Keel- Except one from Manole and Norske Love- here they have taken care of the Stern, bow Parts and in MOST cases a Keel made of very bad materials. better to buy a piece of Oak. If not having a big risk of bending the Hull.
After inserting the Bulkheads- nearly all except Manoly does not have the main deck curve -for water runoff. Stern and Bow fullers depend on much of the Price of the Kit. Generally for about a 74 gunship in the low end about 300€ - middle range from 460 to 600 € and the high-class Manoli Amati up to over 1000 €-
( in my case generally the Middle Class, as NOT having any expensive Tools. Generally, I use the Laser Cut part and a few things more. 70% about is scratch build)
The Bow and StearnFillers are very important for laying down good planking.
NEXT BIG MISTAKE =_KITS. They add the Decks as fast as possible, which later will or can give problems. I suppose, it is a way of having the false keel and bulkheads straight and square, but there is today on the market a much better method. Have even seen ONE using LEGO bricks
There are just a few words from an Angry builder, that apparently nothing -a part from Laser Cut, Computer and other expensive tools. I have downloaded over more than 50 Complete Instruction
Now it is up to you if you wants more and better info.

265-BOW-BULKHEADS, FILLING.jpg054-FALSA QUILA CON CUERDERNAS-FALSE QUIL CON BULKHEADS (25).jpg055-FALSA QUILA CON CUERDERNAS-FALSE QUIL CON BULKHEADS (28).jpg056--FALSA QUILA CON CUERDERNAS-FALSE QUIL CON BULKHEADS (24).jpg062-FALSA QUILA CON CUERDERNAS-FALSE QUIL CON BULKHEADS (17).jpg

I have sometimes the feeling, that maybe builder, who bought a Kit, think that it is laying down a Puzzle, but we are far from that over my 50 years plus, I have NEVER seen a KIT without mistake, both in Materials -mainly wood - and the Instruction Manuals. I have until now not SEEN ONE single Instruction Manuals without Failer, Bad explanation. They all start with the False Keel- Except one from Manole and Norske Love- here they have taken care of the Stern, bow Parts and in MOST cases a Keel made of very bad materials. better to buy a piece of Oak. If not having a big risk of bending the Hull.
After inserting the Bulkheads- nearly all except Manoly does not have the main deck curve -for water runoff. Stern and Bow fullers depend on much of the Price of the Kit. Generally for about a 74 gunship in the low end about 300€ - middle range from 460 to 600 € and the high-class Manoli Amati up to over 1000 €-
( in my case generally the Middle Class, as NOT having any expensive Tools. Generally, I use the Laser Cut part and a few things more. 70% about is scratch build)
NEXT BIG MISTAKE =_KITS. They add the Decks as fast as possible, which later will or can give problems. I suppose, it is a way of having the false keel and bulkheads straight and square, but there is today on the market a much better method. Have even seen ONE using LEGO bricks
There are just a few words from an Angry builder, that apparently nothing -a part from Laser Cut, Computer and other expensive tools. I have downloaded over more than 50 Complete Instruction

View attachment 240172View attachment 240173View attachment 240174View attachment 240175View attachment 240176
Hi, all interested. I forgot Yesterday one of the most IMPORTANT TASK to do when you get your kitTake Part out of the Folio but do NOT start cutting.
Make a photocopy of everything thing -a photocopy machine is better than taking photos, as a copy machine gives 1:1 copies. Add them to a SAFE place.
If something breaks down or will have to be changed by the Seller. You can even make more Bulkheads etc if needed. Only be sure, that you have enough Raw Materials -mainly Wood, Riggen Tread etc, as the Manufacturer does NOT give anything free. Here we have another problem- and it can be BIG- as there is NO LABEL of Manufacturing dates. The Kit you think is new may have stored somewhere up to 20 Years or more- mainly the less used.
It is of BIG importance too with the Bow and Stern Fillers- in my last model all free space between bulkheads up to the bottom of the lower deck.
will add a few pics of the bulkhead and its missing curves
then a few pics where decks are added before planking-will add as reference a great build.

IT THEESE PICS AOTES ARE NOT INTERESTING, JUST SAYno

KIT 2.jpgKIT 4.jpgAQA-01-DRAWINGS-111 (21).jpgFALSE KEEL+BULKHEADS.jpgBOWFILLER.jpgBOWFILLER 2.jpgSTERN FILLER.jpgDAEK 1.jpgFRAME 1.jpgFRAME 2.jpgFRAME 3.jpgKEEL'FALSE KEEL.jpgSHIP WITH DAECK.jpgKIT 1.jpgSHIP WITH DECK 2.jpg130 - copia.jpg

You are so right and good advice. I've been doing this for 30 years and have a notebook of things to do what I have found to be the right way and I ignore kit instructions. Some kit instructions practically ensure you can't complete the ship properly so you definitely have to think everything through in advance.

BTW very nice planking on your ship!

You are so right and good advice. I've been doing this for 30 years and have a notebook of things to do what I have found to be the right way and I ignore kit instructions. Some kit instructions practically ensure you can't complete the ship properly so you definitely have to think everything through in advance.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Hallo @El Capi
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special Day
Birthday-Cake

Congratulations El Capi! I wish you good health and many more years of sharing your experiences with us. Take care and enjoy the day.

Wszystkiego najlepszego bądź z nami jak najdłużej.
Pozdrawiam Mirek

ENGLISH
All the best, be with us as long as possible.

I have nowhere near the experience that you have, but I do have some and agree 100% with your comment. What I have found is that for European kits, they assume you already know how to build the model. The American kits usually have more complete instructions. This has been my experience.

I love using

View attachment 240172View attachment 240173View attachment 240174View attachment 240175View attachment 240176
I love using legos for mine

Back