Fictional Russian ADMIRAL ORLOV class, 1870 Giant Monitor

ADMIRAL ORLOV class monitors in 1/200

IMG_20220427_174042_043.jpg
Адмирал Орлов, 1870

Hello colleauges,

I decided to do something fictional construction on a kind of ships I love very much - Russian Baltic Fleet Monitors of the 70th (of the XIXth Century ). So I asked my self a few questions about the consequences and possibilitys of such a decission to try to build one in myself.

What if the Baltic Fleet stayed with an enlarged homebuild monitor concept in a fifth generation? And what if the same type was in use with the Black Sea Fleet? What if the Tzar risked a II. Crimean War by reentering the blocking position at Åland Island but being tricky not occupying the land itself? And also freeing the water passage through the Bosporus?

What if the Baltic and Black Sea Fleet decided to enlarge the ADMIRAL SPINIROV class up to a floating fortress securing the harbours of Russia and being able to do more? If this Giant Monitors were also acting at Bomarsund without injuring the humiliating treathy of Paris of 1856 by mooring the "Giant Monitor Quartett" (The Times) at the coast as fortresses - what would Napoleon III. and Queen Victoria had had done? And by this ships the Imperial Russian Navy would had been able to open the Dardanelles for the Russian Black Sea Fleet? By entering Ottoman waters from north being armoured in a way withstanding all Ottoman costal artillery fire and so winnig these duells? Taking down the fortifications?

What kind of ship could do this?

Here my ideas in a rought first 1/400 scetch for a 1/200 (or bigger model) of the Russian 5th generation monitor class 1870:
Length: 158,6m
Breadth: 39,8m

IMG_20220427_174037_067.jpg
An arrangement of a quartett of turrets were placed in a layout to bring the eigth (or twelve) guns into the biggest possible arc of fire by mixing in a row and en echelon design:

IMG_20220427_174034_255.jpgAvoiding the superstructure of the last two classes before on the stem helps to give a chease fire option by six guns instead of only four (or nine smaller ones instead of six).

The ship is a typical doubleender so it can use its two screws allways in both directions allways one screw pushes and the other pulls from the "then-stem". The navigation lights have to be interchangeable due to the directions and this possibility should be as hidden as possible.
This as the strategical and tactical background of the class in history...

I am still dealing with several details figuring out if they are possible, intelligent, available at time of 1868/69 (or not):

- the superstructure's layout (as mainly in harbours she doesn't need much crew night accomodation beside for the watch guard and staff)

- looking for a breech-loaded Russian gun bigger than 229mm for the diameter 8ms turrets

- design of the big gun twin turrets or 229mm tripple gun turrets (leaving my 8.000mm turret ring?)

- inventing a double light for changing directions and starboard becomes suddenly port and red becomes green
Polish_20220427_191208580.jpg
Solved

- rangefinders ontop the turrets and wheelhouses

- conning towers only being enteted from below to stiffen the structure by avoiding hatches(so they need to be in some way larger)

- making the hull more interstingly shaped by preshadowing a French 1880th thumblehome design

- davits construction and boats configuration
IMG_20220427_174046_922.jpg
Last two till questionable...

- cranes for the eight anchres
a) pre-Ingelfieldt-type
b) mushrom-type as a floating fortification

-figuring out about the gangways layer above the turrets and conning towers

- dealing with the hatches and vents for the engine and boiler rooms

-adding torpedonet booms and netting (and also keeping boats traffic possible)

-designing V-shaped torpedo net booms (for use in recuced speed)

Certainly I could diminish the distances between first and last turret and the conning tower to shorten the hull but for shallow water fights I like to get as much breadth as possible to get an as stabile gunnery platform as possible - so the expensive rangefinders do make really sense.

The coloursheme for the four northern ships is a blueblack hull and limbstone white turrets and superstructure the funnels are creme yellow the southerners are at all white with red lineing and creme yellow funnels. The boats should camouflage on the hull and the iron v-shaped torpedonetbooms are painted as the masts in orange-brown.

This is my playground for the next weeks - I so hope you like it (and it is placed right in this section?)...

Have a good time!

Last edited:
...the ships decoration I would Like to develope from the PARMAT ASOVA Side:

s made from the three big orders the Duke ORLOV enteted:

StAndrew_All.jpg
St.Andrew's order

Order_of_St._George,_1st_class_with_star_and_sash_4.jpg
St.George Order

1280px-Order_of_Saint_Alexander_Nevsky_Insignia.jpg
Order of the holy Alexander Newskypic_10.jpg

So there is the idea to sourround the diamond and the cross by an oval of the St. Andrew's collar... Just to store this idea safely.

sounds like an interesting project.
Many thanks that you start this log already during the preparation and designing of the vessel.

ADMIRAL ORLOV class monitors in 1/200

View attachment 305628
Адмирал Орлов, 1870

Hello colleauges,

I decided to do something fictional construction on a Kind of ships I love very much - Russian Baltic Fleet Monitors of the 70th (of the XIXth Century ). So I asked my self a few questions about the consequences and possibilitys of such a decission.

What if the Baltic Fleet stayed with an enlarged homebuild monitor concept in a fifth generation? And what if the same type was in use with the Black Sea Fleet? What if the Tzar risked a II. Crimean War by reentering the blocking position at Åland Island but being tricky not occupying the land itself? And also freeing the water passage through the Bosporus?

What if the Baltic and Black Sea Fleet decided to enlarge the ADMIRAL SPINIROV class up to a floating fortress securing the harbours of Russia and being able to do more? If this Giant Monitors were also acting at Bomarsund without injuring the humiliating Treathy of Paris of 1856 by mooring the "Giant Monitor Quartett" (The Times) at the coast as fortresses - what would Napoleon III. and Queen Victoria had had done? And by this ships the Imperial Russian Navy would had been able to open the Dardanelles for the Russian Black Sea Fleet? By entering Ottoman waters from north being armoured in a way withstanding all Ottoman costal artillery fire and so winnig these duells?

What kind of ship could do this?

Here my ideas in a rought first 1/400 scetch for a 1/200 (or bigger model) of the Russian 5th generation monitor class 1870:
Length: 158,6m
Breadth: 39,8m

View attachment 305627
An arrangement of a quartett of turrets were placed in a layout to bring the eigth (or twelve) guns into the biggest possible arc of fire by mixing in a row and en echelon design:

View attachment 305629Avoiding the superstructure of the last two classes before on the stem helps to give a chease fire option by six guns instead of only four (or nine smaller ones instead of six).

The ship is a typical doubleender so it can use its two screws allways in both directions allways one screw pushes and the other pulls from the "then-stem". The navigation lights have to be interchangeable due to the directions and this possibility should be as hidden as possible.
This as the strategical and tactical background of the class in history...

I am still dealing with several details figuring out if they are possible, intelligent, available at time of 1868/69 (or not):

- the superstructure's layout (as mainly in harbours she doesn't need much crew night accomodation beside for the watch guard and staff)

- looking for a breech-loaded Russian gun bigger than 229mm for the diameter 8ms turrets

- design of the big gun twin turrets or 229mm tripple gun turrets (leaving my 8.000mm turret ring?)

- inventing a double light for changing directions and starboard becomes suddenly port and red becomes green
View attachment 305625
Solved

- rangefinders ontop the turrets and wheelhouses

- conning towers only being enteted from below to stiffen the structure by avoiding hatches

- making the hull more interstingly shaped by preshadowing a French 1880th design

- davits construction and boats configuration
View attachment 305626
Last two till questionable...

- cranes for the eight anchres
a) pre-Ingelfieldt-type
b) mushrom-type as a floating fortification

-figuring out about the gangways layer above the turrets and conning towers

- dealing with the hatches and vents for the engine and boiler rooms

-adding torpedonet booms and netting (and also keeping boats traffic possible)

-designing V-shaped torpedo net booms (for use in recuced speed)

Certainly I could diminish the distances between first and last turret and the conning tower to shorten the hull but for shallow water fights I like to get as much breadth as possible to get an as stabile gunnery platform as possible - so the expensive rangefinders do make really sense.

The coloursheme for the four northern ships is abblack hull and limbstone white turrets and superstructure the funnels are creme yellow the southerners are at all white with red lineing and creme yellow funnels. The boats should Camouflage onnthe hull and the Iron torpedonetbooms are painted as the masts in orange-brown.

This is my playground for the next weeks - I so hope you like it (and it is placed right in this section?)...

Have a good time!
Excellent, i am planning to build Austro-Hungarian monitor Bodrog so will follow up your build with a close look..

The 15"/381mm gun project Leasing to the single mount turret

Hello Friends,

thanks a lot for your intrest Intro this game of ideas.
Due to come to a more realistic output I decided to change the directions of this design process was towards the Australien way: lets's do it turned upside down. ;)

We have more above fixes the two purposes the ships were made for - to substitute a lost key fortress as a quartett of swimming fortresses to get a compensation of the destroyed Åland fortress. This in the one hand to block the entrance into the Russian sphare of the northern part Baltic Sea and in the other hand to take out the Ottoman Dardanelles' fortifications for a break through on the Black Sea frontline to get free access to the Meditaranian Theater. So the planed war is really a "II. Crimean War" again started against Osmanian Empire, British Empire and Napoleon III.'s France again: Provoking the Royal and Imperial Navy into an unwinnable attack in the north and fighting through their way in the south against the Sultan's forts and fleet.

So we have a double goal to the ship's construction and do need a proper weapon to deal with this. So I decided to take a big gun of her time and "manipulate" it into something bigger. And so I founded the "Trinity* Iron Works" to do so.

For the job to take out the enemy fortresses or being an impressive floating castle we do need some over-heavy caliber (as we call it in Germany). So I decided to I decided to take the often used prototype of the

_к_статье_«Лафет_орудийный»._Фигура_№_9._Военная_энциклопедия_Сытина_(Санкт-Петербург,_1911-19...jpg
{Source: alternativhistory.ru}

11" Krupp model/Obukhov manufactured Coast artillery gun in the 1867 model (the 1877 model differs in barrel detail and mainly in carriage).

1280px-Tykki_Helsinki_(cropped).jpeg
{Source: Wikipedia}
Some of these are still standing in the fortifications Helsinki/Finland.

678806_2000.jpg
"She" is a really beautifull pice of engeneeing and worth showing a bit more of her detailling (here the 1867 model).
679017_original.jpg

In this colourful appearnace with the copper barrel inside the brass sliding block the black barrel and the brownish carriage standing at679398_original.jpg

St.Petersburg naval museum. I do think to "show" her by a top view in the turret's opening. This will be protected by a grit or a better protecting lamella roof opening for the smoke - not to her to become a barbette ship suddenly. ;)

684078_original.jpg
{Source: navalmuseum.ru)

For the idea of the size of the 11inch gun here a helpful picture of the coast artillery crew at work.

Going up the calibre I decided to step to 15" or 381mm an enormous increase of the gun.
But with this bigger caliber all the guns were loading slowlier so the guns were firing in a row to get continious fire and so the target solutions must be provided sepetatly in any turret. Due to this I do think about an coaxial rifle to fire Zero-shots for range estimation.
By giving the gun a bigger propulsion charge I decided to add more layers of thinner rings shrinking them cherry-red onto the barrel. I also decided giving them a sharper edges to make them more destinguished to the human eye:
Polish_20220511_090923370.jpg
{Source: Trinity Iron Works)
As you can see I experimented with an even steaper degree but it doesn't "kiss my eye" in a way I like it. It was getting too big in diameter in my point of view.

Polish_20220511_090813123.jpg
{Source Trinity Iron Works}
So here ist the 1/32 drawings with my 1/64 scale figure - even doubling this guy shows an impressive barrel to us. 10800mm in length, 2880mm max.diameter will give a a appx.3500mm breadth for the carriage and sliding hill INSIDE the turret. So the turret's inner diameter must be more than 10m as a gun usually recoils (also breaked) it's barrel's length. So the turrets structure the thickness of the armour add to some 12m of diameter. So any turret ist a Monstrum on its self and due to this ideas only a single gun per turret seems to be possible as if we packe two guns in one turret we do get an 7,5m inner radius.

In the next days I will go to the copy shop diminishing the drawings towards 1/64 and 1/128 (die to my new smaller flat I will be forced into this scale) to "play" with my paper cut-outs on the drawing board to look what is going in. I have to admit this is really fun to deal with.

Beside this there is some other question of Werner Zimmermann to be answered: "Does this work in this way in reality?"

And so I've to look for the accomodations of the crew and the admiral's staff, I have to look for usual thinks like:
- a galley
- a working ammolution feeding concept
- laveratories
- range finders
- mushrom anchors for permanent mooring
- torpedo nettings to avoid spear and early fish torpedo to enter the hull - even while slowly moving
- Something like a barriage floating with a phalanx of spikes (to sink incoming vessels?)
- sun protection gear
- boats (I so have got good drawings in 1/100 from the battleship SISSOY VELIKY of 1896 with it's enormous steam launch)
- ponton bridge like platforms for the traffic boats (making it possible for them staying outside the torpedo defence tools)
- conning turret's hight to look over the turrets
- outlooks on the mast poles
- and lots of other questions.

This is the last few days progress and some thoughts about what I have to think about additivly.

Hope you do like my way of construction and If anyone May have any suggestion pleased tell it to me I do appreachiate your help and criticism very much.

_________
*me, myself and I

Last edited:
Excellent, i am planning to build Austro-Hungarian monitor Bodrog so will follow up your build with a close look..
That Sounds great, I so like Austro-Hungarian Navy very much - and I will "steal" some details from their cassematt ships for detailling as the stairs and handrails.
But due to the decapitation of an Austrian officer's upper skull by an Italian shell flying hardly over the top edge at Lissa I will not take these fascinating open conning towers.

Last edited:
SCALED TO 1/128 & 1/64

So being back from the copyshop we do get a nice view onto the recuced scale output here:
IMG_20220513_113135_966.jpg
recuced to 1/64 and (twice) 1/128 scale. The barrels do fit my expectations - also the muzzel is very thick by three times the caliber.

IMG_20220513_113130_499.jpg
And you do hopefully also do get a good idea of the enormous size of the 15inch RBL* gun barrel even without it's carriage, the coaxial zero-firing rifle for sing purposes and all the other fancy stuff to be added. If I do find some time this week end I would like to computer out the pure wright of the barrel estimating the material as early Siemens-Martin-steel (as it was used from 1864 onwards).

Next step will first be figuring out where the hell I did store my frostpaper to draw the carriage and the "slideing hill" rails and than starting with the next layer of frostpaper for the enormous turret structure and it's heavy multi-components armour.

Hopefully the metric and imperial gauged ruler is helpfull to you (I found him but not the frostpaper till now).

As you could recognize the lower and upper part aren't mirrowed but slightly differ and I am not shure what part will be the used one.

I am thinking about a kind of prototype turret in 2:1 (1/64 ) and copying the drawings down to 1/128 so I do get a reasonable idea what the inner layout of the turret must be like ergonomicaly (ladder, paths between inner wall and gun and in the other hand due to the guns elevation, recoil and the neccesary of safe ammo-handling. (I do think about an ammo lift in kind of a dumbwaiter to avoid the pileing of explosives in the turret {so a short light railway between lift door and breech hast to be estabished} not very unlike to be found in the decks of torpedoboats).

And again I used this article as my idea storage, too. So if there is anything you do think doesn't fit into an 1869/70 construction pleased let ne know if I do get too much in a Jules Verne's path of thinking.
Thanks a lot for your support and interest.
_______
*R_ifeled B_reech L_oaded

Hello to all of you!

Such a sunny day and a small step foreward to the turrets' construction. The inner and outside diameter is now calculated for the "development turret" in 2/1 or 1/64 instead of 1/128 as scale:
IMG_20220515_164924_979.jpg
So it is inner diameter 186mm or 7-1/3"
and the turret's armour has got a diameter of
228mm or 8-31/32".

Making the composit armour an astonishing 2.688mm or 8'3" thickto prevent the guns from enemy site at all Costa in the Dardanelles and opposing any French or British caliber during the next 10-15 years.

This the drawing how I got there - forgotten to take proper pictures of the process. Sorry for this!
IMG_20220515_164920_146.jpg

So the 1/64 measurements recently... Half of this die to the buildings scale of 1/128 will change my hole calculations.

So let's have a look what is happening dealing with four 228mm disks of cardboard in the basic lines. Then I have to cut out the pair of conning towers, stanchions for the gangways and davits, the ladders or stairs downwards, the two smokestacks, lots of vents to the boilerroom and last but not least the three masts. (And for shure something I did forgot about!) So a huge numbers of obsticals has urgendly not to be placed in the arc of fire of my four disks. But this ist next weeks chapter...

Here today's result on the frostpaper in detail:

IMG_20220515_170830.jpg

Last edited:
I.
The turret roof needs to have a hinged hatch for fireing by max. elevation.

II.
Keeping shells and cartiges sepetated in two lifts with sepetated ammo bunkers below the turret.

III.
So the gun could be loaded faster by ready stored ammo in the side bunker using a heavy iron sliding door and a thinner roof.
IMG_20220516_221819.jpg

IV.
And loaded from both sides makes the loading procedure even faster by one Bridges crane with a pair of independent trolleys for shell and cartige powder packeges.
IMG_20220516_221828.jpg

Stored my memorys in my notebook in the moment I do have got them is a very helpfull thing when you do get older.

Today I did deal with the turret's detailing and the solution for superelevation of the 380mm gun.
I Also decided to get the turret's mostly autonomous by a day and nicht semaphore with wheeled petroleum lamps inside - so the lamps did stand upright all the time in any elevation.

The conning tower of each gun will have it's rangefinder and a" Glacis de Ricochette" is installed. I do also do deal with hammock baskets surrounding the turret's armour:
IMG_20220703_155053_549.jpg
So here is my simple collection of doodleings to bundle these ideas onto paper.

Edit:
Here a better scetch of the turret and the anchors' arangement:IMG_20220703_181355_699.jpg
All in all a 1/4of the construction must be enough as the rest is a mirrowed reenactment of this part.

Further progress will be made soon. And all these changes do necessitate further alterations onto the superstructure, too...

Last edited:
And my very next problem are these FISH TORPEDO CATCHERS

Was in 1869 steel rope avaible or do I have to weave out with cast iron rods (as these were only rusty in the surface)?

IMG_20220703_174852_471.jpg

The frames are swimming by an attached cork part as a swimmer on the upper bar and need to be as long as draft.

And die to the task of permanently mooring at one place as floating frotress there need to be some
MUSHROOM ANCHORs

IMG_20220703_175531_146.jpg

There is in the one hand the need to be set my two cranes and the setting hast also the handling by a diver for the secured placement. On the other hand are the Arcs of Fire to be kept as free as possible. So there is a lot of construction work to be done.

And last but not least the superstructure (here shown in blue) doodleings:
IMG_20220703_180535_437.jpg
The upper part is showing a perspectivial scetch the lower left corner giving an idea of the Great Launch's mechanism above the next gun

and on the right side the small winch steam engines to Deal with the heavy wight of the Great Launch. They should be symetrical to get a pair for each Side - including a "Spark Avoider" to safe the sun roof canvas from any danger getting burnt by the funnel's output.

Back