Finally decided on my 1st. ship build

After a couple weeks of researching 7 different ships I purchased the Occre La Candelaria from Model Expo. Not the most important factor in buying my first ship I wanted one that was aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I like the combination of lime wood & dark walnut used on the sides of the ship. Most importantly though is the building of the ship should not be too difficult for a beginner ( I do have experience with wooden model kits & scratch building). I do see build logs here on SOS for this ship which is great plus a set of build videos by John Aliprantis on YouTube.

Looking forward to this new adventure & will keep you posted.........Al.

Hello to other senior model fans, dont despair, I am 86 and have just finished 1:65 scale Endeavour from Artesania Latina, after sixteen months of struggles and careful detail. Had cataracts done earlier and hand steadiness was not a problem. Have to say its turned out a huge success, although there were times I thought the "intermediate" difficulty level was unwise. I have it displayed in a perspex cabinet, to keep the dust off. You can do it!

IMG20221125222841.jpg

Very beautiful ship & thanks for the encouragement. At 66 my eye site is pretty good (I use readers) but I too will be having cataract surgery in October.

Well done with you Endeavour.
I build the same ship, but from a Caldercraft "Nelsons's Navy" kit, completed last Autumn as my first ship model in my 79th year.
Perffect foil when stuck indoors avaoing the vagaries of catching Covid! Worked a treat.
Now about a third of the way through The Mary Rose, by Caldercraft, but building a modified Forecastle and Summer Castle as originally built in 1511.

I am worokng on the design for a scratch built model of HMS Lenox, 70 Gun, 3rd Rate built at Deptford 1678.
The key feature with this is the superb ornamentation on the deck bulkheads and the stern. A chance to learn carving as a new skill.

Lest you are wondering about the model railway locomotive, I used to build them from scratch f on commission but at around 400 kgs / 750 # in weight at my age that are now just d too difficult to handle or move around! So model ships suit better as they are much more manageable and even more involving.

Very beautiful ship & thanks for the encouragement. At 66 my eye site is pretty good (I use readers) but I too will be having cataract surgery in October.
Best of luck with the eye surgery, i hope you have as good a result as I did, its really almost a non event, twenty minutes each eye, but with about a month in between. Thanks for your kind comments about Endeavour, half thinking of doing another model, but am told by she who must be obeyed, that there is no room for another one.
Best of luck to you.

If I had not decided on Passaro's Syren for my first build I would have flailed about like a noob. As it was, not only did the kit come with an extensive full-color practicum but Chuck's blog on how he built the prototype was invaluable in learning how to build a wooden model ship. I still use the techniques learned on that build for every one subsequent.

If I had not decided on Passaro's Syren for my first build I would have flailed about like a noob. As it was, not only did the kit come with an extensive full-color practicum but Chuck's blog on how he built the prototype was invaluable in learning how to build a wooden model ship. I still use the techniques learned on that build for every one subsequent.
I think the Syren is an excellent kit, definitely more historically accurate than most. Chuck Passaro doesn't make a lot of kits, but they seem to be far above the average level in accuracy. I wish someone made kits of that quality for 17th century ships.

Back