Finishing Dec and hull

I like the burnished low sheen finish as exemplified by the first few completed models in the gallery on this site.
What finish is being used. Has the hull planking been strained
Any suggestions so I can start rounding up materials
Thank you

I like the burnished low sheen finish as exemplified by the first few completed models in the gallery on this site.
Thank you
Make a photo of these models you refer to, - so we can make some suggestions

Thank you

Make a photo of these models you refer to, - so we can make some suggestions
I have not been able to copy a photo but was able.to get this link.

I always use a stain - Rustins oil based. Do NOT use a water based stain because, to be honest, it's junk. I find that particularly on decks and hulls it does even things out and avoids bright spots. If the stain ends up too dark for your liking you can wash it off with a rag dampened with thinners and this will lighten it. For the burnished look I would suggest a satin lacquer (acrylic is okay) and a couple of coats will be enough. If the finish is still a little bright for you it can be dulled with furniture wax and very fine wire wool. If you have no furniture wax a neutral shoe polish will suffice.
Lots of people use tung oil, but I have no experience of using it and so will leave others to comment on that.
I hope this helps.

The local hobby shop recommended a light weight filler to use after the first sanding. It cleaned up the dents but doesn't seem to be a good substrate for the second planking.
Any suggestions

I have used MinWax wipe on or brush on matte sheen water based polyurethane on my models for a few years now. I use this as both a sealer as I build and as a finish coat for hull, deck, deck furniture, and hull decorations. I use it in masts and spars. One coat gives a very soft sheen even from the matte finish. If you want to deepen the sheen give the surface a second coat. I find using matte poly gives a softer sheen than trying to do the same thing with satin or semi gloss poly. Just my experience…
Edit: Also, the poly is my go to for sealing and top coat finishing...it dries quickly, hard, clear, and without any noticeable sense of having a "coating." It provides protection from aging over the (hopefully) years of display! :)

Last edited:
Back