Finishing first planking

Absolutely! You want the first planking/filler/whatever it takes to be as smooth and fair as possible- the better it looks, the better the finished product....

I like the lightweight auto body filler but Bondo makes a two part wood filler also- dries fast, sands easy, great workability - apply with a credit card or a spatula - sand with 80-120 grit sandpaper at first and finer when you get to the shape/filling that you need....

I use Elmer's Wood filler which is very easy to work with but is softened by PVA glues (Titebond, etc.). So you need some extra clamping/hold time over these spots if you use this kind of glue for the second planking.
Someone recommended to me to use a thin water based wood sealer on the first planking to make the second layer adhere better to the filler. I did so and it seemed to work fine. I used Elmer's filler and also a light, white filler from Mantua, Art. 1022. It is a bit difficult to adhere, but sands easily.

I like the polyfila idea and will try that on my next build. I do have some wood filler and Tamaya putty as well. I may do a test with all three on a side and see which is easier to work with.

I like the polyfila idea and will try that on my next build. I do have some wood filler and Tamaya putty as well. I may do a test with all three on a side and see which is easier to work with.
At the risk of being accused of overkill I would suggest one more thing. Having made furniture for many years I am a strong proponent of using sanding sealer. I personally use the one by Minwax. After the first layer of planking is sanded smooth and to your satisfaction apply one coat of the sanding sealer. Not a heavy coat. Although it says it dries in one hour (and it does) I give it 24 hours. Then sand with a high grit sandpaper (400 grit is good). The hull will be super smooth and even. The second layer of planking will go on with ease. The sealer will make a smooth hull even smoother.

I use Elmer's Wood filler which is very easy to work with but is softened by PVA glues (Titebond, etc.). So you need some extra clamping/hold time over these spots if you use this kind of glue for the second planking.
Someone recommended to me to use a thin water based wood sealer on the first planking to make the second layer adhere better to the filler. I did so and it seemed to work fine. I used Elmer's filler and also a light, white filler from Mantua, Art. 1022. It is a bit difficult to adhere, but sands easily. You can easily make up a test article and see what you like before applying to the actual model.

A secret message to some future ship wreck. Maybe a fortune cookie message....;)
I do that all the time!

And yes, any water based filler like Elmers does the job. I also agree with Whiskers--pretend that your first layer of planking will be the last and get it as perfect as possible. That little bump you think won't affect the second layer always will!

Ronseal wood filler (white, natural, light and dark brown varieties) seems to work well in the UK and it is easy to cut and sand. However, in my limited experience, glueing on the second layer is a potential issue as CA does not seem to adhere to the smooth sanded filler too well. Suggest coating the filler with some sort of sealer as recommended by Whiskers and Tangopapa above.Ship-1

Back