Firelands Historical Society - Robert Bruckshaw Ships

i may venture a guess the kits you see today of the Confederacy are based on the original work of Bob Bruckshaw and later or refined by Harold Hahn.

Bob had two models of the Ohio in the Inland Seas Maritime Museum when the museum packed up and moved to Toledo the first rate Ohio ws sold and never made it to Toledo or it is in a warehouse somewhere.
However the small Ohio did make it to Toledo and was being offered for sale. This was a few years ago and i do not know if it was sold or not.

DSCN9630.JPGDSCN9631.JPGDSCN9632.JPGDSCN9633.JPGDSCN9634.JPGDSCN9635.JPGDSCN9636.JPGDSCN9637.JPG

When i was a volunteer at the museum years ago i spent many hours in the research library, at the time there was a large 35mm slide collection of Bob's ships finished and under construction. They are in the Clarence S. Metcalf Great Lakes Maritime Research Library.

i think it would be nice if someone contacted someone and someone would scan the collection making an Elibrary for us all to see.

I want to thank Dave and all the members here for welcoming me and to all who have offered so much information. I will try to attach a picture of the ships we received. Please be patient with me, this is strange territory for me and a little awkward

Dan Rood

20211109_164826.jpg20211109_160000.jpg

i remember back when Harold Hahn got caught up in a debate about using figures on his models. The critics in the guild insisted there were no figures ever seen on admiralty models so thus they do not belong on traditional models. Harold defended his little people and said my ship my crew so screw you.
the Druid by Harold Hahn and little people appeared on every model Hahn built.

HHD.jpg

Where did Harold get the idea of little people on admiralty model? This is not a Hahn model it is a model by Robert Bruckshaw. Look close and you will see a little person standing on deck.

img496.jpg

First, Thank You for allowing me to join your forum.
My name is Dan Rood and I'm past president of Firelands Historical Society located in Norwalk, Ohio.
Our museum recently received three ships built by Robert Bruckshaw who was from our town.
Boston, Faulkland and Serapis. We would appreciate any information that could help us understand
the history of Robert Bruckshaw and his contribution to model shipbuilding.
drood1@neo.rr.com
Hallo Dan alias @DLRood
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you had success in your research about the work of Robert Bruckshaw ?

Back