First Build - Polaris by OcCre, 1:50 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well, the water-based stains I was waiting on came in, so work has resumed. While I was waiting on them, I spent my time working on another project, a nixie-tube clock I’ve been building for the last year someday I may even finish it lol.
5983B3FF-0357-4A96-A2D1-CAF2C01FCDB3.jpeg

I finished with the second layer hull planking a few days ago. Not terribly pleased with how it turned out, but I learned a few things that I’ll be able to apply next time. Also, the top section on the bulwarks turned out much better, since I was able to use copious amounts of clamps.

DD4E3028-1965-4E26-A8EA-2A063C88491B.jpeg
After the stains arrived, I was able to get the plates at the bow installed and have started putting the bumper rails on. I’m going very slowly with this, gluing down a short section at a time and clamping it so it has ample time to set before moving on.

85910238-FFD7-423A-9599-70B0E554E4B7.jpegE7239888-FE3F-4B43-81FE-91AFEAE8B1E4.jpeg

Getting excited to start working on the deck furniture!

Well, it may not look like much, but this is the result of 3 days' work...

Photo Jul 05, 3 34 00 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 05, 9 20 25 PM.jpg

The vertical pieces on the bulwarks were all individually cut and filed to an angle at the top. In order to maintain even spacing, I made a shim from a scrap of planking and inserted it between each strut and the next, then moved it to the next space. It was time consuming, but I felt it was much simpler and more accurate than trying to actually measure and place tick marks. I was not happy with the initial placement of the top rails, so I had to carefully remove and reposition them. I accidentally cracked the starboard side section at the stern, but I think I was able to do a satisfactory repair job.

As for the rudder/tiller assembly, cutting down the nails to make the rivets was at times infuriating. Trying to hold nail just below the head with fine point tweezers and cut it with wire cutters was tough, only to watch the pieces go flying in opposite directions, never to be seen again. When I did manage to hold on to the head, applying CA and getting it positioned in the hole in the rudder before it stuck my tweezers together was the next challenge. Finally got them all in, though.

Next part has me a little worried, cutting the slot in the stern to allow the tiller to pass through to the deck. Again, just gonna take it slow and be as careful as possible.

Last edited:
Well, the water-based stains I was waiting on came in, so work has resumed. While I was waiting on them, I spent my time working on another project, a nixie-tube clock I’ve been building for the last year someday I may even finish it lol.
View attachment 241777

I finished with the second layer hull planking a few days ago. Not terribly pleased with how it turned out, but I learned a few things that I’ll be able to apply next time. Also, the top section on the bulwarks turned out much better, since I was able to use copious amounts of clamps.

View attachment 241776
After the stains arrived, I was able to get the plates at the bow installed and have started putting the bumper rails on. I’m going very slowly with this, gluing down a short section at a time and clamping it so it has ample time to set before moving on.

View attachment 241778View attachment 241779

Getting excited to start working on the deck furniture!
WELL DONE, MATE

Had some time last night, so I tackled installing the rudder/tiller. Started by drilling a hole with a Dremel. I then took a round file, and marked the point on the shaft with tape where my calipers showed it was 7mm in diameter. I carefully worked that into a slot 15mm long by 7mm wide, as called for in the plans. From there, it was just a matter of positioning it so that I could attach the small brass straps to the hull to hold it in place.

Photo Jul 07, 9 28 36 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 07, 9 29 01 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 07, 9 29 14 PM.jpg

The bottom ended up a little lower than the keel when I was done, but I kind of like the way that looks. It makes it a little distinct from the keel and sternpost.

Had some time last night, so I tackled installing the rudder/tiller. Started by drilling a hole with a Dremel. I then took a round file, and marked the point on the shaft with tape where my calipers showed it was 7mm in diameter. I carefully worked that into a slot 15mm long by 7mm wide, as called for in the plans. From there, it was just a matter of positioning it so that I could attach the small brass straps to the hull to hold it in place.

View attachment 242853

View attachment 242854

View attachment 242855

The bottom ended up a little lower than the keel when I was done, but I kind of like the way that looks. It makes it a little distinct from the keel and sternpost.
You can always sand it flush with the keel if you want. ;)

Very good work on the first model - you are really on a good way

I agree with the comment by @Dean62 - on a real ship, the rudder would be not lower 7deaper than the keel (or false keel)
The possibility on a real ship to loose the rudder, during contact to sea-bottom would be to high, so the rudder would end with the lower edge of the keel (green line)
and do not forget to install the last two bolts on the hinges (red arrows)
Photo Jul 07, 9 29 14 PM.jpg

But all this is up to your decision -> you are the master shipwright of your model !!!

Well, I've actually been working on my build, but haven't posted in several days, so let's play catch-up!

Photo Jul 11, 12 37 52 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 11, 12 38 03 PM.jpg

This is the painting done to the stern. Not bad for freehand I think. These pics were taken prior to fixing the issues with the rudder that were discussed earlier.
Next, I began placing the deck furniture:

Photo Jul 11, 12 37 46 PM.jpg

Building the hatch cover turned out to be kind of a fun little project, as did the deckhouse:

Photo Jul 11, 4 05 15 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 11, 10 35 01 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 11, 10 38 13 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 12, 9 19 32 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 14, 10 22 17 PM.jpg

The tiny doors were kind of a pain, and I would have like for them to be a little more even, but I had trouble getting the light wood to split evenly.

Photo Jul 15, 8 33 49 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 15, 8 20 06 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 15, 8 42 31 PM.jpg

Building the bilge pump was NOT fun lol:

Photo Jul 12, 10 55 36 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 17, 4 43 12 PM.jpg

I completely mangled my first attempt at bending the stern decorations, until I purchased a special pair of wire-bending pliers made for jewelry making. After that, I think they turned out pretty well:

Photo Jul 17, 4 43 01 PM.jpg

Anchors and the deadeyes for the bottoms of the shrouds came next:

Photo Jul 17, 8 47 47 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 17, 8 54 59 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 17, 9 47 24 PM.jpg

And that completes the first set of instructions! I've already started on the second set, which is all about the masts. I've already completed the bowsprit:

Photo Jul 17, 9 32 28 PM.jpg

It doesn't really look like it in the picture, but the taper on it actually does match the plan. I used the "drill-and-sandpaper" method to shape it. Also, tying the blocks was a challenge until I figured out that if I stuck it to a piece of doubled-up masking tape so it doesn't move around, it really is a breeze.

Photo Jul 11, 12 39 02 PM.jpg

That's it for now. Looks like it's been 10 days since my last post. I'll try to be a little more prompt, so I'm not creating such long posts.

So, I ran into an issue when building the foremast. The spar is attached using a small metal yoke:

4E2C4FB1-55D7-4225-B23A-061DEEB967B3.jpeg

However, the yokes themselves have a much larger diameter than the mast. The mast is only 4mm in diameter at the point where the spar attaches, but the yoke is nearly 9mm at the opening.

29CB23CD-E6F7-4F7F-9DEE-389AF3462A66.jpeg

At first, I thought I had picked the wrong one from the parts bin, but they are all the same.

BB89C0E9-BF19-4FC8-91C3-9EDC00600A35.jpeg

I double checked against the scale drawings, but again, it matched.

BC5435CE-2F18-43B9-A707-1E73A737C40B.jpeg
94003997-0AF4-456B-9CD0-02ABDAC1AB63.jpeg

I was concerned that there would not be enough contact between the mast and the spar to hold it securely. After some thought, I cut a small piece of wood from the leftover laser cut frame, and fashioned it into a small “shelf”. I filed a rounded slot in one end at the angle the spar needed to be mounted, trimmed it to fit just under the yoke, and painted it black to match.

447B0058-92E3-42D4-A24D-ECCF29D8E65B.jpeg
B8925176-F224-4125-99C9-5E139F1746BD.jpeg
0AD81552-3932-41CF-A674-4A68F0292313.jpeg
405A9863-E234-41CA-BDB0-4DA2ADCACAA2.jpeg
53F5CB6F-96F6-406B-9288-425087B2F3A8.jpeg
E13AF385-2E14-4146-8035-D5E065BE5991.jpeg

I think it worked out pretty well, and once the rigging and sails are on it should be fairly well hidden. In retrospect, I should have tapered it into the spar at the distal end. I have two more of these the mount, so that’s probably what I will do.

Last edited:
i I would from the beginning discharges the Metal part and made your own- using a little instruction. In real life, they were not of metal. Will addsome pic.-the one made by wood my way to overcome it.. pic 1 and 3 are homemade of wood. happy building.

Attachments

• 1331-CANGREJO Y YARDS (2).jpg
    1331-CANGREJO Y YARDS (2).jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 1817-4826-MESAN MAST CANGREJO.jpg
    1817-4826-MESAN MAST CANGREJO.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 8
  • fd72c685f5db84515aa738a8bf2dfa2f.jpg
    fd72c685f5db84515aa738a8bf2dfa2f.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 8
After looking at the post from @El Capi I decided that making my own pieces was probably the best course, so I took some more of the scrap laser cut frame and sketched out a couple of yokes (I’m guessing that’s what these are called, please correct me if I’m wrong).
E991B3DD-F529-4128-9631-AFC869AEA389.jpeg

I grabbed the ol Dremel and in a few minutes, I had the rough cuts. I used some small files to refine the shape and round the edges, and I think they look ok for a first try.
C4393CD9-0AF6-48AD-A9EB-5541EB819BE8.jpeg
138BA35A-0D4D-46B3-AC88-F3110F6A6A7D.jpeg
They certainly fit the mast much better than the metal ones that came with the kit.
853C21B5-1EA3-407D-A757-D73AF9B61A4E.jpegCC0FBEA0-FDA1-48FA-9AE1-AFBFC9284AE7.jpeg
With that, the masts are built and ready for installation. Excited to get to the rigging!

DE183469-28C1-41DA-BEC5-B439B561E84C.jpeg

After looking at the post from @El Capi I decided that making my own pieces was probably the best course, so I took some more of the scrap laser cut frame and sketched out a couple of yokes (I’m guessing that’s what these are called, please correct me if I’m wrong).
View attachment 245986

I grabbed the ol Dremel and in a few minutes, I had the rough cuts. I used some small files to refine the shape and round the edges, and I think they look ok for a first try.
View attachment 245987
View attachment 245988
They certainly fit the mast much better than the metal ones that came with the kit.
View attachment 245991View attachment 246000
With that, the masts are built and ready for installation. Excited to get to the rigging!

View attachment 246010
Building from Kits does not mean, that each piece fit totally. To lower the manufacturing cost -like metal parts -are being produced to more the one model,Many Kit builders just goes along with instruction manual -GENERALLY WITH MANY MISTAKES - and do not use comment sence
View attachment 245986

View attachment 245987
View attachment 245988
View attachment 245991View attachment 246000

View attachment 246010
What you have done here are absolutely 1Th Class.
during your build you will find does problems, so as I said Use Common Sence and ask for help in need.
THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS BUT MAYBE STUPID ANSWER

Well, the masts are mounted, and I believe all the standing rigging is on. Tomorrow I will start on the running rigging. I worked a good deal of the day on this, so I anticipate that during weekdays, when I have less free time, it will take me a few days to get it finished. I anticipate that I may be able to finish this build next weekend!

Here's a few shots of the day’s work:

B1A8CCE4-1965-4107-ACCF-814B234A00F6.jpeg
3104ED65-1816-4518-AFA0-0EDB48C14BEE.jpeg
My first deadeyes! Went better than I expected. Feeling good, moved on to the second:

DB65DF1A-BEFC-4D4C-A554-0CBCD38285BC.jpeg
Not bad. Wait, something seems a little… off?

A4103D9B-E56A-4DA9-99E9-C4CE3CCBDBBB.jpeg
NNNOOOOOO! I got the shrouds twisted around each other! Well, no way to fix it except cut the deadeyes apart and do it again. I paid a lot closer attention after that.
3CC2FEA8-8A7C-4043-916A-6732E9312D9E.jpeg
Shrouds, stays and bowsprit all done. Whew! Think that’s it for today.

Well, the masts are mounted, and I believe all the standing rigging is on. Tomorrow I will start on the running rigging. I worked a good deal of the day on this, so I anticipate that during weekdays, when I have less free time, it will take me a few days to get it finished. I anticipate that I may be able to finish this build next weekend!

Here's a few shots of the day’s work:

View attachment 246191
View attachment 246192
My first deadeyes! Went better than I expected. Feeling good, moved on to the second:

View attachment 246193
Not bad. Wait, something seems a little… off?

View attachment 246194
NNNOOOOOO! I got the shrouds twisted around each other! Well, no way to fix it except cut the deadeyes apart and do it again. I paid a lot closer attention after that.
View attachment 246195
Shrouds, stays and bowsprit all done. Whew! Think that’s it for today.
Morning. Doing good work. The only little thing I have to comment. Te DEADEYES shall/ will have to be Paralelsa. The aft pair is not. Good work

I was able to finish up last night.

Here she is:

IMG_2520.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2525.JPG

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out overall. Are there some flaws? Yes. Things I would have done differently? Yes. All this information and knowledge will just make my next one that much better. I'm already looking around for the next one, and I've narrowed it down to a couple of options. I do think that I will take a bit of time before I begin the next build, though. I jumped right into this with several projects left undone. Need to play catch-up on those items before moving forward.

A few notes on my impressions of this kit. I chose it in large part based on it being one of the kits @Donnie mentioned in a post about good kits for beginners, and I have to say, I think it was right on the money. It's not an expensive kit, so if it turns out model ship aren't for you, the investment to find that out is modest. I have certainly spent more on other hobbies before figuring out I didn't want to continue. But, for that small investment, I feel like I got a little taste of most of the basics of model ship building. Double planking, mast making, wire shaping, and just enough rigging to challenge an absolute beginner like me. The instructions and plans were pretty easy to understand and follow, and this is one of the models for which OcCre has a complete playlist on YouTube showing each step, so if something isn't clear in the drawings, you can refer to the video, which has been helpful.

There are a couple of issues, as have been documented here. The planking method is not what the experienced builders would recommend, as I learned, and I will make the effort to employ more efficient methods in the future. Also, the metal yokes for the spars are not at all sized properly for the diameter of the masts. I would say if you are planning to build this kit, ditch those right from the start and just make your own from scrap wood.

So, that's my 2 cents. I've really enjoyed this experience, and thanks to all who have given encouragement and advice.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
Congratulations Mark! You are in rare air - you finished a kit! Many builds get started but it seems they eventually languish...

And your Polaris turned out great as well. Bravo!

Congratulations Mark! You are in rare air - you finished a kit! Many builds get started but it seems they eventually languish...

And your Polaris turned out great as well. Bravo!
Thanks for the kind words, Paul. I know since I have been on this forum, I've gone to look at some builds that look really fantastic, and then for some reason just vanish (sailed into the Bermuda Triangle perhaps? lol). I feel like the bug has bitten me with this. I'm really having to force myself to take a break to do other things, as I said.

I was able to finish up last night.

Here she is:

View attachment 246560
View attachment 246561
View attachment 246562
View attachment 246563
View attachment 246564
View attachment 246565

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out overall. Are there some flaws? Yes. Things I would have done differently? Yes. All this information and knowledge will just make my next one that much better. I'm already looking around for the next one, and I've narrowed it down to a couple of options. I do think that I will take a bit of time before I begin the next build, though. I jumped right into this with several projects left undone. Need to play catch-up on those items before moving forward.

A few notes on my impressions of this kit. I chose it in large part based on it being one of the kits @Donnie mentioned in a post about good kits for beginners, and I have to say, I think it was right on the money. It's not an expensive kit, so if it turns out model ship aren't for you, the investment to find that out is modest. I have certainly spent more on other hobbies before figuring out I didn't want to continue. But, for that small investment, I feel like I got a little taste of most of the basics of model ship building. Double planking, mast making, wire shaping, and just enough rigging to challenge an absolute beginner like me. The instructions and plans were pretty easy to understand and follow, and this is one of the models for which OcCre has a complete playlist on YouTube showing each step, so if something isn't clear in the drawings, you can refer to the video, which has been helpful.

There are a couple of issues, as have been documented here. The planking method is not what the experienced builders would recommend, as I learned, and I will make the effort to employ more efficient methods in the future. Also, the metal yokes for the spars are not at all sized properly for the diameter of the masts. I would say if you are planning to build this kit, ditch those right from the start and just make your own from scrap wood.

So, that's my 2 cents. I've really enjoyed this experience, and thanks to all who have given encouragement and advice.

Thanks,
Mark
Great job! Congrats!

Back