First kit on the way.

I ordered a Port Jackson schooner the other day.

I'd like to use the hull and deck pieces as templates to cut out extra parts that I could use to practice a bit before starting on the actual model.

I noticed Micro Mart had some material that looked like it would work, but the specs were a bit confusing. I was hoping someone here could recommend a source and materials I could use for the center line support, bulkheads, deck, and planking.

Much appreciated.

Interesting, over 60 views and no answers. Guess I must have stumbled across a forum for advanced users only.

Sorry for taking up space on your forum. I can't find where to delete my account so if an admin could delete it for me, I would appreciate it.

Interesting, over 60 views and no answers. Guess I must have stumbled across a forum for advanced users only.

Sorry for taking up space on your forum. I can't find where to delete my account so if an admin could delete it for me, I would appreciate it.
Sent you a PM

Jan

Sorry nobody responded to you in a prompt manner that you expected. :(

It would be a shame if you left this forum believing it is just for experienced modellers. I'm an absolute novice and I would have given up long ago without the help and advice of other SOS members. Most probably the reason you didn't get any immediate replies was because no-one had an immediate answer. Living in Australia, I am usually unable to comment on potential suppliers in other countries, unless I have ordered from them myself.
Stick with it and you will find this a very friendly place.

I can only echo these sentiments. Wednesdays and Thursdays are generally "slow" days on the forum and the activity picks up considerably the closer it gets to weekends. Then of course @Masters Mate has a very good point. I live in China so it is impossible for me to give you advice as to supplies in Australia - and I am sure that is the case with everyone not living in Australia. SOS is most certainly NOT for advanced modelers only and once you get your build log going, you will find the advice and support most valuable.

We are only a handful of moderators with day jobs, so it is sometimes difficult to get around to everyone's posts all the time. If you feel offended by the lack of response or regard that as a lack of interest, I can assure you that it is not the case.

I'd like to use the hull and deck pieces as templates to cut out extra parts that I could use to practice a bit before starting on the actual model.

I noticed Micro Mart had some material that looked like it would work, but the specs were a bit confusing. I was hoping someone here could recommend a source and materials I could use for the center line support, bulkheads, deck, and planking.

Much appreciated.
I would not think that any forum or thread is for "advanced modelers" as I have seen sharing across the full spectrum in SoS. It may be that the silence was from members not having a recommendation that would work and did not state that. I have only limited experience my self that is limited to two strip canoes where there was some conversation about different woods to produce certain appearances or workability. My other was a kit that provided laser cut in both solid and plywood types of what I do not know but for interior support functions did not arise my concerns for visibility. I tried a type of mahogany once and would not repeat as it was too brittle for bending well and very open grained. A lot of members like pear. There is a thread about wood and various types for various uses that I recommend you look into. We are all doing what we can with our builds and some are more experienced and skillful but the main thing, I believe is to do what each one can, overcome mistakes, and try to keep the hobby fun. Just some thoughts and not answering your specific question. Be patient and your answers well be answered. Rich (PT-2)

My apologize to all for letting my crotchety old fart flag fly. I'm sure all here are fine people and I apologize to any I may have offended.

I guess I should have pointed out that I live in Honolulu and there are zero local resources here for this type of specialized work. Shipping costs are high enough without the added expense of shipping in the wrong stuff.

I was able to find the material I needed for my practice projects, should be here next week. Not sure when the kit will arrive from Australia but at least I can get started on some basic stuff.

Best wishes to all and again, sorry for making such a bad first impression.

Much appreciated.

if i understand you correctly you want to trace the bulkheads and center profile pieces
you can get sheets of plywood in different thicknesses from Lowels or Home Depot
this material should work just fine for making a test mockup

it looks like Lowels is 1/2 the price for 1/4 thick ply but Micro Mark is a far better quality material. If you are using it as just a practice run the cheaper ply might be a better buy.

ply1.JPG

ply3.JPG

Last edited:

it looks like there are drawings for the bulkheads i do not know if the deck piece is drawn out.

but if you just jump in and start building people here can give you advice on how to proceed

dry fit all the bulkheads on the center profile piece and post a picture and someone will check it out to be sure you are doing it right

Thank you Dave.

I ordered some of that plywood and some other stuff from Micro Mark yesterday before I left that whiney post.

Do you work at The Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights? I was very impressed with the materials available on their website.

Thank you Dave.

I ordered some of that plywood and some other stuff from Micro Mark yesterday before I left that whiney post.

Do you work at The Lumberyard for Model Shipwrights? I was very impressed with the materials available on their website.
Only to translate Daves post - he is the owner and runs the business with his Admiral (wife)

That kit looks really nice, and pretty ambitious for a first try. Good luck with it.
I'm working on the Pride of Baltimore II, which is another topsail schooner, so I'm going to follow your build.

Only to translate Daves post - he is the owner and runs the business with his Admiral (wife)

actually i do not own the business nor do i run it
it is true i only work at the Lumberyard

Much appreciated.
Hmmm…I just saw your post. I am not sure you would benefit from the “practice” pieces. First, it will take a great deal of careful effort (and frustration) to cut out parts for the practice that would actually be of benefit. My suggestion is to proceed with the model itself. Follow the instructions and work each piece and part slowly and carefully. Remember, it is only wood…if you think you messed up a part in the construction process then worry about cutting out a new part. I think you will be just fine starting the actual model. My mantra…one part at a time!

To answer your question directly, wood stock including modeling plywoods are available from many on-line modeling websites. ModelExpo, MicroMark, Lumberyard, and Ages of Sail are a few that come to mind. Strip stock is more readily available than the modeling plywoods. Bottom line is a search through model ship building hobby websites will provide you what you are searching for. The specs may be confusing if you are trying to exactly match what is in the kit...but standard measurements should match what is in your kit.

Welcome to the forum…just remember that every one of us was a new novice at some point…many of us are still that even after several kits! :)

My thoughts are......do not build your ship expecting perfection or it will not be fun and you will paralyze your progress.
Just build it and make mistakes. Most can be fixed and those that can't only 1 out of 500 people that look at it will see them.
This process should be fun and the definition of fun is unique to each modeler.

POOH! Just build the model. I believe Nelson said that no man could do wrong who lays his ship alongside that of the enemy. Go for it!

If I am correct you have
Colonial Schooner Port Jackson by Bundybear1981 - Modellers Shipyard - 1803 - Scale 1:50?

Make templates you can use anything from tin cans to plastic bottles ….
(Easily cut and sourced).
Must be solid.
Yes .. card you can use, too.
Laminate shavings from wood to form a slab and cut to shape.
Cow bone or cuttle fish or … can be used, too. (Depends on size) : Natural resins used as hardner or ….)
How do you think old timers used in times of scarce materials?
Accuracy is the question.
If from a kit you can spray round the wooden template or the shape itself.
If you have a cad package or square paper you can reproduce the exact measurements and shape.
Kit pieces are not precise, as you know.
So, 1000 mm or inch tolerance is not needed.

I made jigs of the parts / in situ, too - like a wooden ruler with legs at intervals. Then a like flex curve to join the dots. (Thin wood batten).

To make ribs - I suggest the proper way.
If determined then bread and butter or carve.
Plus fill.
Seen styrene and filler / strips used or tin can.

nb
I have seen spaghetti used and covered with tissue paper / hardened.

In model making - anything goes. But watch the insects as they love to be fed!

If on wrong track - I apologies.

Back