First real recommendations

Hello
First post
Just got into ship building in the last few months
Started with plastic then bought 4 solid hull mamoli kits. All went well except the first one lol
Finished each in about 3 or 4 days
Also did the model shipways longboat, didnt find it too difficult after I got going a bit with the planking
I'm hooked at this point

Looking for recommendations on a first "real"ship
Definitely want to do a warship of sorts
But I also would like to do a galleon style as well
I'd like a kit with pretty straight forward instructions. Pictures are nice aswell.
Don't want to get in over my head but would also like something that's not too easy

Welcome aboard, sounds like you have ascended to Ship heaven.
It's very hard to choose or suggest a ship for your next build but it will be worthwhile for you to search through all the kit manufacturers and finding a few you really like.
We can provide some of our experience on those kits you narrow down (quality of instructions, easy/hard for example)
But at the end of the day you are going to go with a ship that is pleasing to you.
As far as galleons that are ok for a not too intimidating build you can look at manufacturers like Occre and Artesania Latina.

Dear 6lkl624
welcome aboard Thumbsup:)

im agree with John, but in Artesania Latina I recommend on the Mayflower.In my experience this is a model that may meet your needs and the conditions you have specified

Last edited:
Hallo,
first of all we want to send a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Like John already mentioned - often it is a question of taste and which ship you like most.
Because building a "real ship" like you mentioned will be a journey of several weeks or months and not days - so you definitely have to like the ship.
Take a look at our building logs and you will get a good impression of different kits

$50 ? Interesting. What scale is this. I am not able to find a constructo Golden Hind at that price. Everything is from $250 to $350 range.
I am curious if all the wood and metal parts, plans, and manual is all there. Price seems too good to be true unless this is constructo’s what they call the weekend 8 hour version of the kit. This is why I also wonder about the scale.
Somerimes a smaller kit like the Model Expo Mayflower can be more difficult due to its very small scale.
I can also advise against Panart or Mantua. I built the Panart San Felipe. Poor kit. A lot of work involved making this ship into something good.
Most all kits from occre.com are good with good plans and manual with good documentation.

Last edited:
Kit is 1:55
Kit was still In shrink wrap inside, never opened.
Just a small local shopthats shutting its doors. They have 3 other kits that I'm going to go back monday and buy for for the future just because of the insanely low price.
But anyway now that iv somewhat opened the box I'm a bit overwhelmed but I'm determined lol

20200926_190129.jpg20200926_190029.jpg

Welcome, look forward to more in your building log off, Golden Hind, regards-

Lucky find. That is an insanely low price... then I noticed you mention the store is going out of business. That's too bad. There are far too few real hobby shops left these days.

Back