First wooden ship - the Fly

Hi, my previous passion was 1/35 Armour (the El Alamein period) as my Grandad fought there. I had done some aircraft as a kid and it was nice to get back to it, but after a few completed projects, even getting into additional PE, I got a bit, well, bored. So ... I found myself drawn to the idea of working with a 'real' material and learning some genuine shipbuilding skills (albeit in miniature). A big birthday later, and I finally took the plunge, going for a 'hard beginners' model HMS Fly. It sat in its box for a few months while I finished off the armour builds and finally made it onto my desk around Christmas. I am not going to do a build log as this is not going to be a quick build, but I will finish it! So far, I have the frame together, the deck is glued and I have started deck planking. I won't be customising much (so far only some planks below the forward hatch), but there is enough to do without that ... so wish me luck!

You have indeed chosen an “ hard beginner “ kit.
I’ll be following your progress posts. Best of luck and ask questions here if you run into a challenge.

Jeff

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hi, my previous passion was 1/35 Armour (the El Alamein period) as my Grandad fought there. I had done some aircraft as a kid and it was nice to get back to it, but after a few completed projects, even getting into additional PE, I got a bit, well, bored. So ... I found myself drawn to the idea of working with a 'real' material and learning some genuine shipbuilding skills (albeit in miniature). A big birthday later, and I finally took the plunge, going for a 'hard beginners' model HMS Fly. It sat in its box for a few months while I finished off the armour builds and finally made it onto my desk around Christmas. I am not going to do a build log as this is not going to be a quick build, but I will finish it! So far, I have the frame together, the deck is glued and I have started deck planking. I won't be customising much (so far only some planks below the forward hatch), but there is enough to do without that ... so wish me luck!
Hallo @@capnjim
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back