Fishing Schooner Elsie

This is a typical 1/96 model of the famous 1910 fishing schooner, started a number of years ago to thanks a friend for his help in repairing my garage. There are plenty of similar models around, given the fine kit by Model Shipways, but I decided to build this lady from scratch, using only commercial deadeyes and belaying pins. She is mostly seasoned pine, but there is some boxwood for finer details, such as the pin rails, mast hoops and anchors. It is far from an unusual subject, but gave plenty of satisfaction to build.

IMG_9417.JPG

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_9428.JPG

IMG_9437.JPG

IMG_9396.JPG

IMG_9442.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really a very good build scratch schooner model - well done
And I am pretty sure, that you have a happy friend :cool:

This is really a very good build scratch schooner model - well done
And I am pretty sure, that you have a happy friend :cool:
Thanks. These fishing schooners really grow on you. I've been putting them in bottles for years.

This is a typical 1/96 model of the famous 1910 fishing schooner, started a number of years ago to thanks a friend for his help in repairing my garage. There are plenty of similar models around, given the fine kit by Model Shipways, but I decided to build this lady from scratch, using only commercial deadeyes and belaying pins. She is mostly seasoned pine, but there is some boxwood for finer details, such as the pin rails, mast hoops and anchors. It is far from an unusual subject, but gave plenty of satisfaction to build.
Hallo @Alex Bellinger
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you working actual on a project?

Hallo @Alex Bellinger
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you working actual on a project?
Thank you for the greeting, and yes, I am currently working on a project. My vice is ship in bottle building and there always one on the desk. Right now it's the 4 masted schooner Charles P Notman for a 1.75 liter rum bottle. Shortly to follow her is Cutty Sark for another rum bottle. I didn't drink the rum, a friend did.

IMG_9567.JPG

Thank you for the greeting, and yes, I am currently working on a project. My vice is ship in bottle building and there always one on the desk. Right now it's the 4 masted schooner Charles P Notman for a 1.75 liter rum bottle. Shortly to follow her is Cutty Sark for another rum bottle. I didn't drink the rum, a friend did.

View attachment 243331
This is looking great and very interesting part of our hobby.
Why not making a short building log of your actual or next bottle ship project?
Would be great to see your work !!!!!

Back