Fishknot's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build

Fishknots

Blandford Group Build

August 27, 2018
Minor Update:

I fabricated trim pieces for the chain pump shafts and the elm tree pump shafts, painted them a warm black and installed them.

The chain pump trim pieces at the deck were made from basswood and shaped with Micro Shapers. I formed them on a scrap piece of square tube brass that I used to make the chain pump shafts. I cut them to fit the scrap piece and glued them together (making a sort of picture frame) and checked their fit. I made minor adjustments to them with a needle file, painted them black and installed them around the shafts as one piece per shaft and glued them in place.

IMG_1013.jpg IMG_1012.jpg IMG_1014.jpg

I fabricated the elm tree pump shaft trim pieces from styrene tubing (I found a diameter that was a perfect fit), painted them black and glued them in place.

The below views illustrate the trim pieces installed. I will not install the mast or the elm tree pumps at this point and plan on gluing them in after I have installed the main deck structure and planking. I still have to install the four spigots on the two elm tree pumps. I plan on making the holes for them and then installing the elm pumps through the deck and then insert the spigots after.

IMG_1018.jpg IMG_1016.jpg IMG_1019.jpg IMG_1020.jpg

The below mage is of the chain pump and pump dales installed along with the dry-fit placement of the elm tree pump and mast. I have already fabricated the chain pump handles (view in previous post) and those will be installed when I get the main deck structure installed, specifically the deck beams. There will be some cutting of square holes to accommodate those supports near the mast as they also extend upwards to the main deck as main jeer and topsail bitts.

IMG_1051.jpg

Time to start milling pieces for the main deck structures.

Thanks for viewing,

Andy

donfarr

Blandford Group Build

Hi Andy, Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, will send you a PM so as not take up space in this thread, I do have a question and a request, WHEN YOU GET TO THE MAIN DECK FRAMING, COULD YOU SHOW IN SOME DETAIL HOW YOU CUT THE MAIN DECK BEAME IN ORDER TO GET THE CAMBER AS SHOWN, MIKE TOLD ME HOW TO DO IT BUT WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PICTURE . THANKS AND YOUR CRAFTMANSHIP IS SUPER Don

Norway

Great log, and wery clear photos, and wery pretty work you are doing.
I am defently gona look at yor log when i am starting my Blandford build
TNX for all the ditaled informasjon and the great photos.

KNUT