Flag Making Technique

So after much looking, asking and thinking I have come up with a very successful method of making custom flags on cotton. I am using an iron on heat transfer process using the following heat transfer paper.
E2FE0E94-2763-47E4-9457-11B9279ED2C6.jpeg

I created the artwork in Adobe Illistrator and printed onto the above paper using a common inkjet printer.
9611624A-8E9D-4ED6-9C94-47C7C81244AA.jpeg
Here are the linen (cotton) materials I was trying.
444F3FD5-738D-41F9-BD9A-4AB970F0AFDC.jpeg
The one in the middle is laundered cotton and has a nice weight and thickness that worked very well.
As you can see above the printed sheet is folded down the middle and the cotton inserted in between.
You then iron at the highest temp on the iron.
9AC8C85B-66F5-4F03-9A52-40DFA23F3D0D.jpeg
74A5D767-9F95-4783-88F5-AD2A920E8B3D.jpeg

Here is the final result, everything lined very nicely. I like the look and the material is easily shaped.
A8F999AD-94E6-43F3-B7A9-D879F069AFCE.jpeg48010E52-1D69-42C2-9B49-FDDAD7A7802C.jpeg
Just need to trim and place when ready. I’ll call this a success.

Here's the final version of the file I used for the Bluenose.
Looks like this. I'm not 100% sure which set of signal flags to use but am leaning towards the set beside the Nova Scotia flag. I think the bottom set is USA military but again not sure.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 10.14.21 AM.png

Attachments

• Bluenose.pdf
    115.8 KB · Views: 59
Here's the final version of the file I used for the Bluenose.
Looks like this. I'm not 100% sure which set of signal flags to use but am leaning towards the set beside the Nova Scotia flag. I think the bottom set is USA military but again not sure.
View attachment 200874
What is the blue cross one in the middle? I have not seen any signal flags in old Bluenose photos but am sure that she flew some long pennants at times from the topmast tops as well as regular flags from the gaff ends. Thanks for your work on this flag opportunity. How are you securing the front and back sides of the flags together?
Rich (PT-2)

What is the blue cross one in the middle? I have not seen any signal flags in old Bluenose photos but am sure that she flew some long pennants at times from the topmast tops as well as regular flags from the gaff ends. Thanks for your work on this flag opportunity. How are you securing the front and back sides of the flags together?
Rich (PT-2)
Hey Rich, if you look above you will see the iron on printed paper has been folded down the middle and the cotton placed between the matching sides. This is then ironed as per the transfer instructions.

Hey Rich, if you look above you will see the iron on printed paper has been folded down the middle and the cotton placed between the matching sides. This is then ironed as per the transfer instructions.
Very neat technique. I wonder if the blue cross flag is that of Nova Scotia. . .I'll have to look into that. Merry Christmas as I hear something on the roof and our dog is barking at the fireplace. Rich (PT-2)

Very neat technique. I wonder if the blue cross flag is that of Nova Scotia. . .I'll have to look into that. Merry Christmas as I hear something on the roof and our dog is barking at the fireplace. Rich (PT-2)
Yes, the blues cross flag with the Scottish red lion in the centre is Nova Scotia.

Yes, the blues cross flag with the Scottish red lion in the centre is Nova Scotia.
No the thicker one. Still a fairly tight weave just a much thicker material.
It would seem that the thickness/stiffness of the material would be finally dictated by the manner in which the flag/banner is to be flown. . . sagging down in a dead calm or flowing outwards in a strong wind. Rich

Considering that the process was designed to imprint colour pics onto T-shirts, which are relatively thick material. I think the thickness helps to hold and absorb the heat transfer material and the ink into the cotton. The thicker cotton worked so well I didn't bother trying either of the other materials. I'll just keep them around for sail making material.

Considering that the process was designed to imprint colour pics onto T-shirts, which are relatively thick material. I think the thickness helps to hold and absorb the heat transfer material and the ink into the cotton. The thicker cotton worked so well I didn't bother trying either of the other materials. I'll just keep them around for sail making material.
Your description makes sense. What was the material that you selected so that I can know what to ask for when in the fabric shop? Rich (PT-2)

At our Fabricland here they call it "Laundered Cotton" I'll drop a piece into the envelope I'm sending you. Part of the piece has the heat transfer material and part of it is as it comes from the fabric store.

At our Fabricland here they call it "Laundered Cotton" I'll drop a piece into the envelope I'm sending you. Part of the piece has the heat transfer material and part of it is as it comes from the fabric store.
JoAnn's Fabrics is one of two or three here but with a sample I should be able to find it. Your postage weight is going up so Rudolph may be challenged to find a delivery place in these foggy times. Thank you again, and again, and again. . . Rich

Could linen be used in its place? have you mounted your flags on the ship yet?
Not mounted yet. In the iron on process the material has to be 100% cotton to handle the high heat of the ironing. So if the “linen” is 100% cotton then no problem with the method I used.

Linen tends to be a bit coarser than cotton though, and this may affect the behaviour of the flags when forming them to simulate the wind blowing.
I don't know, just guessing. I will definitely try your method when my Endeavour is ready for the sails. One could use starch to form the flags into a blowing simulation. I agree with you that the flags in the kits are abyssmal.

Linen tends to be a bit coarser than cotton though, and this may affect the behaviour of the flags when forming them to simulate the wind blowing.
I don't know, just guessing. I will definitely try your method when my Endeavour is ready for the sails. One could use starch to form the flags into a blowing simulation. I agree with you that the flags in the kits are abyssmal.
Will add to this post in the next week or so when my flags are ready to shape and display. I think I will attempt the wooden dowel, hot air and a bit of starch method.

Ok here is my flag making hill billy jig and results of putting in jig, hitting with a shot of starch on both sides and then blow dryer on hot until dry. I think it turned out reasonably well.
661ECA26-202F-4816-BEBB-06FAC1E89F81.jpegDB17443E-0E72-4857-ADC2-FAE62F0152C3.jpegD1F9E3C7-0C1A-470E-87EB-95051B0C2237.jpeg1D0995A6-30C6-4646-8733-A2509B83C3C4.jpeg

Back