flex shaft and motor

xmas is coming and my boss tell me that i can have a gift from Santa so what is a good flex shaft and more to have

Well the old stand by is Dremmel, you can get a dedicated shaft unit, or the flex shaft add on to most older models.

I would also ask Santa for a tool stand, to hold the tool in air vertical while using the shaft.

I have seen other brands on Micro Mark and Model Expo web sites, but as always, remember you get what you pay for, make sure the brand supports multiple bits and types such as burring and sanding.

Today, there are many options available at your disposal. Each option has its own cons and pros. If you want a dedicated flexible tool machine e.g. the motor and the shaft - the Foredom company would be your best bet. Check this out.

However, today, you can buy the rotary tool separately, and flexible shaft as the attachment, and have two in one tool. Such assembly gives you much more flexibility and the use of a tool in various types of jobs. There are many generic manufactures offering the tool and compatible shaft. For the most part, they will do the job fine but... Two brand names are Proxxond and Dremel has rotary tools and shafts are specifically designed for each other.

1639071588819.png

+1 on the Foredom. However, if you want something more “portable” then Dremel or such would be more suited.

FWIW, I have a Dremel with a flex shaft. It's good for light work, but easily is bogged down if you're not careful to use a very light touch.

I've read that the Proxxon has more power, but cannot back that up with personal experience because I've never used one.

Currently I'm seriously considering a Foredom. If I knew what I know now at the time I got the Dremel I would have saved up for the Foredom. From what I have read the cheaper knockoffs aren't worth messing with.

I think what really matters is the budget available.

Glenn

Currently I'm seriously considering a Foredom. If I knew what I know now at the time I got the Dremel I would have saved up for the Foredom. From what I have read the cheaper knockoffs aren't worth messing with.
Hello Glenn, I am a big fan of Foredom tools, I have had this brand for more than 15 years and am still happy using it. It has many different handpieces to choose from. It is reliable and will last long. Just be careful with the counterfeit Foredom's, they flooded the market.

Back