"FLINK FE" A Rokoko Iceboat on Research

Dear friends,

this is small reconstruction threat for an iceboat from Sweden drawn before 1768 by af Chapman with a beautiful Rokoko decoration on the transom.

Polish_20200519_101704352.jpg

I named her very alliteratively "FLINK FE" what meens "fast fairy" (as war as my dictionary brings me).

As a humble little row of drawings this tiny beauty survived the last nearly 300 years in Chapman's ARCHITECTURA NAVALIS MARCATORIA wuthout much publicity on the lower periphery of Plate LIII:
IMG-20200519-WA0082.jpeg

She is a boat on a plank with two skirds below for driving swiftly over the frozen lakes and rivers.

IMG-20200519-WA0080.jpeg
A redeuced top opening safed the driver from the cold wind and the spreaded width between the skirds gave good stability.

IMG-20200519-WA0079.jpeg
The sailplan is quite simple but the high raking mast could caught the wind also when driving near the trees - thame idea as we know from the Thames Sailing Barges for their journeys between the London warehouses.

IMG-20200519-WA0014.jpeg
My problem will be to draw a working set of frames for the moulding of the hull from what I do find in here. I scaled the drawing up to 1/24 {or 1/2 inch to the foot} so the measurements are:

length (over all) 314mm
length (hull) 170mm
hight (over ice) 376mm
hight (hull) 52mm
breadth (max) 114mm

So this will last for some time to get my copies scaled up to 1/24 and start my drawings.

Hope someone likes this "non water project" on SOS and I do find some helping hand in my first boat reconstruction. We are in no hurry as this will be the birthday's present for my wife in 2021. :D

It would be an interesting small project to build!

I would be nice to share your plans and drawings if possible, I like the odd items in a collection others don't build.

Back