Flying Fish Anhor Chain Fixing

Hi Members
In the attachment the anchor chains of the Flying Fish are nicely stretched between the hawsehole and the capstan unit.My question is don't they need a fixation facility on the deck during sailing specially at stormy weather . Are they gathered together?Nothing is mentioned in the reference booklet and on the plans.
Thanks in advance for your responses and wish you All a nice and a healthy week

Chain.jpg

Hi Korsan!

P4250045.JPG
Was the chain placed that far across the deck? That also occupied me during construction.

SANY0012.JPG
Construction drawing of the Flying Fish from the book "The American Fishing Schooners, Howard Chapelle". No raised foredeck. It is somewhat different from Corel's drawings.

SANY0016.JPG

SANY0017.JPG
But such long chain ways up to the storage area really existed. Images excerpts from "Modeles Historiques, Editions Ancre", La Toulonnaise 1823. The chains were attached to rings.

Best regards
Thomas

I guess the chains would be secured with some rope at eyebolts and ring in regular distance on the deck, like shown on the photo from Thomas of the La Toulonnaise

I guess the chains would be secured with some rope at eyebolts and ring in regular distance on the deck, like shown on the photo from Thomas of the La Toulonnaise
Is it against the Codex of historical ship modelling ,if I grave an open channel along the chainline starting from hawsehole to the fordeck raise the Flying Fishand and place chains in .It can also be a raised groove on both sides integrated to the deck .
Hi Korsan!

View attachment 305144
Was the chain placed that far across the deck? That also occupied me during construction.

View attachment 305145
Construction drawing of the Flying Fish from the book "The American Fishing Schooners, Howard Chapelle". No raised foredeck. It is somewhat different from Corel's drawings.

View attachment 305146

View attachment 305148
But such long chain ways up to the storage area really existed. Images excerpts from "Modeles Historiques, Editions Ancre", La Toulonnaise 1823. The chains were attached to rings.

Best regards
Thomas
Is it against the Codex of historical ship modelling ,if I grave an open channel along the chainline starting from hawsehole to the fordeck raise the Flying Fishand and place chains in .It can also be a raised groove on both sides integrated to the deck .

Hi Korsan!

I think Corel took a lot of liberties with the design of the Flying Fish. We in Europe have limited access to the museums of American fishing schooners. There is also limited access to notable people with relavant knowledge such as Howard Chapelle or Erik Ronnberg.
And so the Flying Fish is replicated from the Corel construction kit.

P4260049.JPG
Photo: chasse-marée, number 152, page 56.

Achor chains, according to Chapelle, only existed in harbor service and they were short and kept in a chain box on deck. Seen here under the fore gaff, next to the companionway to starboard. Otherwise there were anchor cables to the left and right of the fore mast.

There is no codex for shipbuilding. Everyone can model as they wish according to their level of knowledge and skills. In the course of modeling life, you try to become more and more precise and do extensive research. In the end, it is the satisfaction with one's own result that counts.

I see shortcomings in my models, but I am still proud of what I have achieved.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
There is no codex for shipbuilding. Everyone can model as they wish according to their level of knowledge and skills. In the course of modeling life, you try to become more and more precise and do extensive research. In the end, it is the satisfaction with one's own result that counts.
correct

……There is no codex for shipbuilding. Everyone can model as they wish according to their level of knowledge and skills. In the course of modeling life, you try to become more and more precise and do extensive research. In the end, it is the satisfaction with one's own result that counts.

Best regards
Thomas

I totally agree with your statement above Thomas, well said.

Hi Korsan!

I think Corel took a lot of liberties with the design of the Flying Fish. We in Europe have limited access to the museums of American fishing schooners. There is also limited access to notable people with relavant knowledge such as Howard Chapelle or Erik Ronnberg.
And so the Flying Fish is replicated from the Corel construction kit.

View attachment 305357
Photo: chasse-marée, number 152, page 56.

Achor chains, according to Chapelle, only existed in harbor service and they were short and kept in a chain box on deck. Seen here under the fore gaff, next to the companionway to starboard. Otherwise there were anchor cables to the left and right of the fore mast.

Best regards
Thomas
Thank you very much for the bundle of information and your encouragement regarding shipbuilding -codex .The chain in box on the photo you send may also be additional chaint to lenghten the existing one or as reserve. Any way ,by my model I will add the parts shown in the attachment for the loosely and free stretched drawn anchor chains,in order to protect the deck planking and the slighly raised wooden deck edge before the capstan. I will post the photo when finished.
P.S. During a Rhein boots excursion from Amsterdam to Basel in 2016 , we (my wife and I) also visited Rüdersheim. In an Irish pub we drank guinness
Ofcourse we also made a very pleasent acquaintance with your regional wine- sorts.
Nice and a cosy place your town.
mfg

IMG_3664.jpg

Thank you very much for the bundle of information and your encouragement regarding shipbuilding -codex .The chain in box on the photo you send may also be additional chaint to lenghten the existing one or as reserve. Any way ,by my model I will add the parts shown in the attachment for the loosely and free stretched drawn anchor chains,in order to protect the deck planking and the slighly raised wooden deck edge before the capstan. I will post the photo when finished.
P.S. During a Rhein boots excursion from Amsterdam to Basel in 2016 , we (my wife and I) also visited Rüdersheim. In an Irish pub we drank guinness
Ofcourse we also made a very pleasent acquaintance with your regional wine- sorts.
Nice and a cosy place your town.
mfg

View attachment 305503
End product for the Flying Fish
The anchor chain organizing arrangment finished looks like now as in the attachment. I want to add 1 more ring to the woodpart to eliminate sliding completely during sailing
Metal strip in the attachment 100% brass ,which I blackened in diluted selenious acid.
Kind Regards

FF anchorchain.jpg

Back