Following 15 years, back to my passion

Hi everyone, I am French American in late 20s. Following a youthful break, I am back to my passion.

While I have been principally been "warming back up" through 1:350 plastic pre-dreadnoughts, I hope that this group gives me the encouragement/inspiration necessary to get into wood built sailing ships.

If anyone who would be so kind, I can always use a intro guide on basic techniques, starting kits and tools, I would be very grateful.

Cheers everyone,

Radu

Hi Radu, and welcome! You are in the right place. I am sure, we all have different opinions and suggestions in regards to your questions. Ask Santa to get you a book by Wolfram Zu Mondfeld - Historic Ship Models. IMHO, this is a primer for periods ship modeler. It is well written and covered all the basics. You would probably need a different set of tools working with woods. DON't buy them all at the same time (unless you are pretty wealthy) :)
As for the model itself, choose something with a solid hall. All kits manufacturer mark their products for experience level. Browse our forum, you will find all of your answers here!! Enjoy.

Thanks for the reply Jimsky. I was looking at "the art of ship modeling" by bernard frolich, but do you think the Mondfeld book is better ?

In terms of tools, what would be the must-haves, aside from clamps and other standard equipment (painting tools, glue, etc...).

Thanks again for the info !

Greetings, Radu. Bernard Frolich book is a must-have book for any serious ship modeler. However, this book is for more advanced, say more experienced folks. Once you start your first build and most importantly like what you do, you will start collecting many other books. Historic Ship Models, I personally called a 'Primer', as it gives you briefly but enough information to start with. It covers all the basics: how to choose a suitable scale, selection of wood, type of construction models, selection of tools you may need. It is also briefly covered the ship parts, just enough for you to start with.
As for the tools, you would need modelers knives, some needle files, small saw, small bench vise a good to have a rotary tool and various small drill bits...

1. Get the book read first pages to find out the wood, tools and construction types in general.
2. Based on your knowledge choose a kit. This shouldn't be an expensive\ three-decker kit. Instead, choose relatively small, one-masted, and most important solid hall: that is the hull already preshaped for you and will need some sanding and painting. The kit should tell you what tools you may need to complete your model.
3. look for the topic on SOS https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/index.php#modelshipyard-building-your-model.152
4. Once you purchase the kit, start your own build log here. If you would need help - we are here!

Building a model should captivate you! If this does not happen, you will quickly lose interest. Whatever happens, the first model should be relatively easy to assemble for you.

Happy modeling!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jimsky. I was looking at "the art of ship modeling" by bernard frolich, but do you think the Mondfeld book is better ?

In terms of tools, what would be the must-haves, aside from clamps and other standard equipment (painting tools, glue, etc...).

Thanks again for the info !

Frölichs book is a beautiful book, but will not help so much for a beginner.....it is purely related to scratch building and not kit building.
Take a look at the book review we have here on SOS with click on the title:

The Art of Shipmodeling

Related to books we have a very good overview of a lot modeling publications, which you all can find in the area "Books and Reference"

Take a look here and click through the book reviews, which will help very much:

https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/index.php?forums/books-and-reference.4/

Hi everyone, I am French American in late 20s. Following a youthful break, I am back to my passion.

While I have been principally been "warming back up" through 1:350 plastic pre-dreadnoughts, I hope that this group gives me the encouragement/inspiration necessary to get into wood built sailing ships.

If anyone who would be so kind, I can always use a intro guide on basic techniques, starting kits and tools, I would be very grateful.

Cheers everyone,

Radu
Hallo @Sebulba1431
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back