Forward "run fast" Alert [COMPLETED BUILD]

That is stunning!!
I could imagine he cut those tiny washers from a brass tube?! Maybe he did turn the tube on the lathe himself to get the right diameter (inside and outside).
Just imagine the work it took to prepare several hundred washers o_O

Very beautiful build!
Since the thread is not made by the builder himself I take the liberty to ask a question about this part:
2020-06-19.png
It is in no way critiscism but only so I know when I - hopefully - some day comes that far with Alert myself. I have searched the net but did not find the answer. Does anybody know exactly when the change in roman numerals happened so that 9 was no longer being written Vllll but lX (subtracting l)? Or, if no exact time, was it before or after 1777?

Very beautiful build!
Since the thread is not made by the builder himself I take the liberty to ask a question about this part:
View attachment 158459
It is in no way critiscism but only so I know when I - hopefully - some day comes that far with Alert myself. I have searched the net but did not find the answer. Does anybody know exactly when the change in roman numerals happened so that 9 was no longer being written Vllll but lX (subtracting l)? Or, if no exact time, was it before or after 1777?
I think both were and are still valid ways to show the 9 .
VIIII is according the normal roman counting
and
IX is according the deduction regulation.
But I can be wrong .....

Very beautiful build!
View attachment 158459
From Wikipedia:

The "standard" forms described above reflect typical modern usage rather than a universally accepted convention. Usage in ancient Rome varied greatly and remained inconsistent in medieval and modern times.

Roman inscriptions, especially in official contexts, seem to show a preference for additive forms such as IIII and VIIII instead of (or even as well as) subtractive forms such as IV and IX. Both methods appear in documents from the Roman era, even within the same document. "Double subtractives" also occur, such as XIIX or even IIXX instead of XVIII. Sometimes V and L are not used, with instances such as IIIIII and XXXXXX rather than VI or LX.

Like the Latin language, there was variation and not exact standardization. It's always funny teaching Roman numerals because, technically, something like VIIII isn't wrong.

Hello Trident Model. Thank you for trusting our opinion. But...as many of us will build this kit, most likely each of us will have their own.
Some guidance are generally available base on contemporary models.
- plank only one side (port or starboard)
- partially plank from each side (port and starboard) where the gun carriages mounted
- leave the desk unplancking at all. In this case how are the guns will be mounted?

Personally, I prefer to plank on one side, but this may be change during the construction process.

Hello Trident Model. Thank you for trusting our opinion. But...as many of us will build this kit, most likely each of us will have their own.
Some guidance are generally available base on contemporary models.
- plank only one side (port or starboard)
- partially plank from each side (port and starboard) where the gun carriages mounted
- leave the desk unplancking at all. In this case how are the guns will be mounted?

Personally, I prefer to plank on one side, but this may be change during the construction process.
The original intention of kit design is that I only provide the most basic model architecture,Each producer adds details based on the information collected. so that everyone can make different works and make them more fun。

This looks pretty good to me. If building without full rigging. the hull architecture is most interesting interesting and should be revealed. How best is subjective giving an overall impression.

This looks pretty good to me. If building without full rigging. the hull architecture is most interesting interesting and should be revealed. How best is subjective giving an overall impression.
I agree - when a model will be without masting and rigging, it is getting more and more important, that the "architecture" and structure of such a ships hull is made well and precise - so beams, carlings, ledges etc. should fit as good as possible - if you are looking at such a model the focus is going immediately to these details, and if there are imperfections visible ......
good to have such a good prepared kit like the Alert -> take a look at the joints between the structural elements - everything is fitting well !!!

To @Trident Model
Dear sir
I am very much looking forward to the model HMS Alert ,it looks like it will be a great kit
Pleased to see it being supported so well with over 100 S O S members signing up for a kit
do you have any idea when it will be ready for shipping ?
will there be a further delay due to me being on the bottom of the order list?
I am asking these questions because at the moment it is winter i am recently retired and just finished my current project, and at a loose end.
I was going to buy a model of the Le requin ( I think that s how you spell it) ,Now not sure if i should wait for the HMS Alert or if it will be many months away to go ahead and order the Le requin either way my order for the HMS Alert is firm
regards
Kieron

Hello Kieron
First of all, thank you very much for your attention. Kit is expected to be sold next week. We will provide 70 sets of kit in the first batch. It is expected to be delivered in sequence within half a month, and the rest of kit is expected to be sold in August.

Back