Found this on the beach today

.... and an unknown history behind this interesting debris...... ship, lost sailors and and and ..... we will never know

Is there some group that researches and records wrecks there? Sound like it is a substantial piece, maybe someone would like to know about it. Or maybe the British Isles have so many wrecks that you can't sort them. LOL. It's a different perspective here on the Great Lakes perhaps. The wreck could be in the sand under your feet. That item wouldn't float, although the original spar it came from would have?

I'm in the Falkland Islands at the moment, not the UK. The whole islands (5000 miles of coastline) are a shipping graveyard. It was a stopping-off point and refuge for ships going round Cape Horn before the Panama canal opened and ended its importance. You walk along the beaches and there in remote spots you come across bits of ships timbers, deadeyes on the beach; around Port Stanley there are many wrecks and wreckage. There are well over 160 identified wrecks around the islands.

Last edited:
This is the bow of the Charles Cooper, launched 1856 and the last remaining packet ship that carried emigrants from Europe to the USofA. It was rescued from the harbour by the museum and awaits its fate in an amazing scrapyard I found, containing many many tons of ships timbers, an Argentine armoured car, a British fire engine at least one windlass and a whale's skull.
DSC_2688.JPG
DSC_2689.JPG

here's a section through the hull where the bow was cut off - that nail can't have done the chainsaw any good! Outer planking is about 4", nails about 1" diameter and up to 30" long in some uses.
DSC_2680.JPG

This is a close up of the external end of the trenails fixing the planking. They were split vertically with a dark wood wedge driven into the end. There are also random iron nails, which I assume are repairs.
DSC_2671.JPG

Here's what killed many hulls - the boring wormholes. This piece of timber is about 6" high, you can fit a finger down the holes - it's obvious why they wrecked the structural integrity of the ships.DSC_2643.JPG

Here's a pile of yard arms, you can see the octagonal centre sections, they are about 18" diameter.
DSC_2690 (3).jpg

Great photos - very interesting to see these parts
Many Thanks for sharing with us

Back