Four-oared Yawl scale 1:24 by Falkonet (made in Russia)

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Happy Holidays season! Today I would like to show relatedly new kit from Falkonet (Russia), simple design, and great materials make me decide to build one.

Yal-Gotovo_1.jpg Yal-Gotovo_2.jpg Yal-Gotovo_3.jpg
foto by Falconet​

Kit data specification:
  • Scale 1:24
  • Length 214 mm
  • Width 77 mm
  • Height 222 mm
  • Art. F0503

Ship wooden kit features by Falconet:

This Yawl was reconstructed according to an archive drawing from the RGAVMF funds and has the forms closest to modern designs, but at the same time with a feature drop-shaped contours, which add beauty to its outlines. All hull planking and details are lasers cut. The marked bevel on frames. Detailed photo instruction and drawings, photoetching and cast resin parts provided to ad details. Ready-made sails. Instruction is in English and Russian, includes the photo and drawings in colour, those alone will be enough to build the model

The history of the Yawl:

In the 19th century, the English shipbuilder Veniamin Fomich Stokke (Stukkey), in the service in the Russian Empire, built more than 600 ships of various ranks, including the famous frigate Pallada. The archives store many drawings of the boats of his authorship, among which Yawl or Yawl (from Dutch: Jol Russian: ял). Yal is a type of boat, which is controlled both by the oars and the sail. It was widely used already in the 18th century, the term Yal entered common usage only in the first half of the 19th century. At that time, most large ships were equipped with Yals, including ships of such a class as brigantines, tenders, and frigates. They were indispensable for communication with the coast, delivery of food and water on board, as well as for carrying out ongoing ship repair and maintenance works. It was with their help that the mooring lines were cleared, the side was cleaned and painted, various actions with verps. Later, the features of the Yal with its rowing and sailing configuration turned this version of the boat into a favourite option for sports enthusiasts. With no less success, the Yal was used for tourism purposes, allowing you to take walks along the seacoast and quickly return. As a rule, a Yal with 4-6 oars is equipped with one mast, the material for which is pine or spruce, in some cases it has not a solid, but a glued structure. Its main purpose is to support the sail so that the product is called foremast. The oars themselves are of a rolling nature when there are two rowers on each bench.

Inside the Box:

IMG_2398.jpegIMG_2400.jpegIMG_2401.jpegIMG_2409.jpeg

IMG_2403.jpeg IMG_2404.jpeg IMG_2405.jpeg IMG_2406.jpeg IMG_2407.jpeg IMG_2412.jpeg IMG_2413.jpeg IMG_2414.jpeg

Fototravlenie.JPG

Cast resin fightings and thread (each in a bag)

All parts (except for resin cast parts and thread) comes nicely packed with shrinkwrap. Planking and frames are made out of 1mm Swiss Pear and details are laser cut. The baseboard is melamine, not plywood. I like this material chosen as construction board, it doesn't react to a temperature change so always straight. As a bonus, Falkonet supplied ready to use sails, miniature compass and lantern (you have to assemble).

I didn't find any written assembly manual. However, a step-by-step colour photo booklet makes a really nice companion to assemble the model. It is provided as many details as you would need. Falconet provides an English version of symbols explanations and playtes identification.

EngInstruction_1.JPGEngInstruction_2.JPGEngInstruction_3.JPGEngInstruction_4.JPGEngInstruction_5.JPG

EngInstruction_6.JPG EngInstruction_7.JPGEngInstruction_8.JPG

Pre-spiled planks! Very cool.
Where did you buy this kit, if I may ask?

@JolleyRodger I have not found any place selling this kit the US. I bought it directly from Russia: https://lavka-korabela.ru/ While this site operates only in the Russian language. they accept credit cards, and I believe ship internationally using EMS. Alternatively, You can buy some of the products from a v-hobby store. While the store located in the US, they will ship directly from Russia. If you in doubt, or need any translations from Russian don't hesitate to ask, I will be more than glad to help. :)

Happy modelling,

Back