French 8 pounder frigate La Castor, from Le Renommee draught by Jean Boudriot, Combination method, Bread and butter and plank on rib.

I would like to thank you for your encouragement, it is greatly appreciated, even for an old model shipwright like me. Work in the shipways continues, it has been a while since I last offered an update, I was waiting until I could show some real progress. I have all of the frames/ribs for the upper deck in place as of today, now I can begin trueing them up , cutting out openings for hatchways and gun ports, etc. Ladders to the lower deck have to be made and installed, as well as guns and a host of other paraphernalia. The stern has to be framed in yet, then I can begin finishing the outside of the hull, planking, keelson, rudder and bow assembly. Lots more to do! I do enjoy watching the whole come together, piece by piece, and a finished ship model appear out of the chaos. Perhaps not how everyone does it, but it is my way.progress.jpgprogress 3.jpgprogress 4.jpgprogress 5.jpgprogress 6.jpgprogress 7.jpg

Bob

Today the shipyard took second place to our visiting Grandchildren, so not much progress made until they left. They are my best clients and always bring new requests when they come. After they left, I did some trueing up on the frames and levelling on deck, also cut the excess stock off the rib tops in preparation for construction of bulwarks and rails. Plenty of things to do, just want to take my time and do them right and in order. I am glad that some of you are finding this process interesting. There are so many wonderful ways to build a ship model, I enjoy them all.progress.jpgprogress 2.jpgprogress 3.jpgprogress 4.jpg

Bob

Not a lot of progress this week, had a request for a commission come in that I had to get started on. Appropriately: a ships captain, the Great Grandfather of the client, who furnished a splendid photograph of the gentleman, good and clear with amazing detail. I did find some time to do some work on the ship though, some bracing on the deck frames and framing of some hatchways and ladderways. Slow but sure.

Bobprogress.jpgquarterdeck detail.jpgamidships detail.jpgview from bow.jpga beginning.jpg

I think also, that this carving should be not painted - let the timber speak
If the captain would be painted, it could be also a plastic cast inside

Making some small progress on framing the stern of the ship, and added some filler pieces to the bow. Difficult time framing the stern, having to brace each one until the glue is dry, before adding another. Fun trying to nail the foot of the frames, but I figured out a way to do it. My problem solving skills need more practice. But that is part of the fun of ship modelling, if it was easy everyone would be doing it!progress 1.jpgprogress 2.jpgprogress 3.jpgprogress 4.jpg

It has been some time since I last posted progress on the ship. Actually it has been some time since I have been able to do any work on her, with commissions taking priority and then several deaths in our family (two cousins and my brother in law just recently). Tough winter! But this evening I began to make some effort to get back at it. The commissions are completed and the shipyard awaits. I got some planking done on her stern, using Pear wood, and the stern post installed. Not a lot, but it is a start.progress 3.jpgprogress.jpgprogress 2.jpg

Back