French war-ship Saint-Philippe 1693 - scale 1/72 - from Lemineur monograph

On the following pic, there seems that there is no place for shooting the two guns red circled :

View attachment 308462

I think close the front gun-ports (only used therefore as charge windows, not for shooting bullets)

What do think about this logic conclusion ?
There were similar discussions on at least one other build log. If I remember correctly, the conclusion was that, depending on the needs of the situation, those canons would be repositioned to be either facing forward (in this case) or facing sideways.

There were similar discussions on at least one other build log. If I remember correctly, the conclusion was that, depending on the needs of the situation, those canons would be repositioned to be either facing forward (in this case) or facing sideways.
absolutely correct.
the gunport towards fore, are pure for chasing another ship, but not during a real action between two ship of the lines.
So these shown gunports were not permanently armed, definitely not in the same time

On the following pic, there seems that there is no place for shooting the two guns red circled :

View attachment 308462

I think close the front gun-ports (only used therefore as charge windows, not for shooting bullets)

What do think about this logic conclusion ?

Usually, guns were draged from the near forward ports to fire from the bow ports.Firing from the bow guns was usually carried out in pursuit of the enemy.
In short, firing from the running guns became meaningless, because the firing line was blocked by the latrine, bowsprit and rigging with bowsprit sails.
The ports of the running guns were used as "windows" - to ventilate the deck and move cargo to the bowsprit.

Running guns, as such, were abolished. To perform their functions, the forward guns of the operdeck and middledeck were used, which were dragged to the ports in the cheekbones of the hull.
In addition, the front guns on the forecastle (forecastle) could also be dragged to the front rail above the bow bulkhead, in which even special recesses were sometimes made.
By the way, there were also no retrograde guns, most often - the extreme side guns were dragged to the retrograde ports.

In conclusion, it should be said that the very fact of a running or retreating shot is a very doubtful matter. A shot along the axis of the ship (taking into account the peculiarities of the production of a shot from the guns of that time) can be more or less effective in ideal weather and a weakly moving vessel.

The hunting ports of the ships may also be the late heirs of the primitive galley, at a time when the flanks of the ships were occupied by oars, and when the embedded artillery was at its first beginning, there was no other place to install the guns than the front, all the more so that the attack of the galleys was generally carried out in order to spurring the enemy

Back